Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im Chris from Dallas,Tx... 33 year old drag racer with 25yr+ experience with engines etc... joined the forums because i have decided to build a mini dragbike out of a free cateye that was given to me for my 8yr old son... basically its a near stock yellow cateye that i have opened up the exhaust on and removed the mufflers... i did a complete battery and harness delete... just the bare essentials and am about to stretch the swingarm... if anyone has any solid info on port dimensions (width , height, amount raised etc) that has proven to make big gains it would be greatly appreciated... also plan and high compression, figuring out how to advance the timing... and a methanol conversion...

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
As far as converting to methanol...youll need a tillotson carb and a way to get the compression to 17:1.......The best way is chopping the top and getting a 17:1 cap and dome

My Wasp Cag has a 15:1 alky kit Ive modified to deliver huge hp..Is was so huge I had to detune it a lil.....

Heres my newest methanol huffers.........I had to get the cap and dome machined to get one engine to 16.6:1 compression and the 1pc head to 15.9:1

My +6 mega stroker and +3 super stroker engines....These are strictly drag racing...............

Even my homade stand-up scooter has a pretty wicked engine but runs on VP112.....

Formerly 35cc Craftsman weedeater engine and 32mph........ Its now a 52mph/49cc Cateye engine in my Homebuilt R/C Buggy thats all steel and 37lbs.......

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Those duel carb engines look fast. Do you ride the buggy? dont see a seat
They are wickedly powerful.........The buggy is remote controlled and now has the 49cc that got my stand-up scooter to 49mph but with even more agressive portwork....It cant run on anything less than 105 octane..Im running it on 112....

Right now its on the out of service list....I seem to have run out of inner tubes for the rear tires..........LOL.........I gotta run up to the mower shop to get some more in a few............

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Welcome to pbp DFW! Im from Dallas area. Im on vacation in Mesquite right now. I live in central NC but looking to move back to TX.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
My wife grew up in that area. Its been 2 yrs since the last time we were down here. Almost everything has changed. Traildust isnt there anymore. :( i loved that place.

·
Registered
263 Posts
They are wickedly powerful.........The buggy is remote controlled and now has the 49cc that got my stand-up scooter to 49mph but with even more agressive portwork....It cant run on anything less than 105 octane..Im running it on 112....

Right now its on the out of service list....I seem to have run out of inner tubes for the rear tires..........LOL.........I gotta run up to the mower shop to get some more in a few............
You pump fuel mix into the bottom end? never heard or thought of that.

and I shouldve known it was remote by the antenna lol.. "You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
You pump fuel mix into the bottom end? never heard or thought of that.

and I shouldve known it was remote by the antenna lol.. "You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"
Its hit some nice jumps.....Curbs too...LOL............Ever since its remodel it hasnt seen much action yet...the engine is barely broken-in with the new piston/rings plus I had to workout a tire to rim slippage problem..........so far the zippy screws are holding tough.......Due to a ton of rain thats supposed to be snow by tomorrow its sitting ready and dry..........

Its definately got some really good dead standstill power...Enough power to lift the front wheels pretty easily on takeoff..........

Its setup to start up via the third channel by e-starter,,has a charging system and some pretty sweet looking lighting added.........The crosses are for daytime running lamps like GraveDigger.........The covers can be changed out for fully clear ones too..........Im thinking about adding a couple 6" Green LED Glowstrips

·
Registered
263 Posts
ha thats a big RC car.. Paint job and light set up look good. Ive been thinking of attempting some kind of jump on my x7 and it may be time come spring lol

Yea we've been getting light snow ever since the day after xmas. Not cool. A day or 2 ago a car by my house tried to make a turn apparently going to fast and slid off the road an hit a big rock and a fence lol

LEDs are always cool. I want to put a couple of those strips in my car - down under the dash so it lights up the floorboard area on each side. same color. My friends have em and theyre cool. They have them set up so they're dimable. by the way check out my thread so you can see how my dirtbike carb turned out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok... got alittle work done today... removed all unnecesary brackets and cleaned all the welds from the frame... and built a 10" extended swingarm... also completely dissasembled the engine... realized the clutch was metal to metal... no pads left...

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
if anyone has any solid info on port dimensions (width , height, amount raised etc) that has proven to make big gains it would be greatly appreciated... also plan and high compression, figuring out how to advance the timing...

Maybe one of my old threads could help.... lol Dont read what I did read what other people posted.. I rasied a port instead of lowering but in the end I didnt go to far and it worked out great...

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showthread.php?t=78587

EDIT: From StrayDawgs post "lower the intake like 1mm inside the cylinder then make a ramp in. You can widen the exhaust to 28mm and raise it 1.5mm in the center than shape it into a eye brow shape ( with tight round corners. And dont forget to chamfer the inside edges of your port work. So your rings dont catch on them I would do the same to the bottom of the piston to do away with the sharp edges and run just the top ring.

If you do this you should also do the blueprinting that Cam2 talks about so much... Bigger gains... lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have a third donor engine now off of a mountain board that my cousin had that got ran over by a car... good thing is that it doesnt have the electric start so i can save that weight... even more than the one i removed the internals and cut the armature apart...

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Sweet. Always good to have donor engines. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.