Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently purchased a used x7 2 stroke for $150. It ran fine when I purchased it but I lost the key on the way home. I was able to turn the ignition with a screwdriver and pullstart the engine. I made it about 200 feet down the street before it died. Just cut off, did not bog down or sputter out. So, I am going to start off this project by replacing the ignition and hoping that will solve the problem, although I have a feeling this isn't the case! I added fuel to the tank that only was 1/3 full when i bought it so that could possibly be the problem aswell (bad fuel). Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated!

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
It could.. Dump the fuel, Replace with Premix and try again.. 25:1 or maybe 32:1 if its the aircooled one..

Try again.. If it doesnt work again. I'd clean out the carb before trying the ignition.. By bass that thing! ;)

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Welcome to PBP. you can buy new key and ignition switches on ebay dirt cheap. Easy way to bypass the key. Do you see the plug that goes to the motor? on the x7 should be on the left side. Just unplug the coil from the harness. to kill the motor you can use the 2 wires from the start button as a kill switch.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Just unplug the the ignition switch. To stop the motor from running then plug it back in. Or just run the wires from the starter switch to the connection where the key switch was plugged into. So when you push the electric start button. It will act as a kill switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I dumped the fuel and replaced it with 32:1 and that did the trick. I was able to ride it for a good 2 minutes before it died. I believe it was a fuel issue now I've got go get to tuning that carb!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.