Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i got a 2nd bike from a friend and it wont start

I changed the carb with a working one
Sparkplug works and gives spark
Has gas and all
Primer works and recieves fuel

Now, if u do the trick by puttin a lil gas in the sparkplug chamber it fires up then shutsback off, and idk why

Please help
Thanks

Also i dnt hav the pull start recoil, i use straight electric start

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
what kind of bike is this? what engine?

is the intake gasket in tact?

if it starts and dies, im thinking the carb is still dirty, or not adjusted right.

welcome to the forums!

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Nice job testing it so far!

Sounds to be a fueling issue, "Almost" sure about it...

No spark = nothing!
no compression = almost nothing, but at least some cool backfires...
No fuel, nothing, until you dribble the gas in there, like you did!

So, based on the electric start you mentioned I will assume it is a 2-stroke X-bike or Cateye?

Could you please post a picture, or upload one to photobucket and share a link to it?

But, in general, it sounds to me like the in-tank (maybe) filter is clogged, or a tube is kinked, or the Pumper Diaphragm might not be working right.

Does it feel nice and easy to pump the primer? or does it feel tight at all, it should only take a half second to push it all the way in.

Nick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My name is nick as well

Umm, i cant do pics bc im on my phone, pc broke, and bc im still new to the site, just added myself like 1hr ago

Ok as far as i knw the tank doesnt hav a filter
The lines are pumping gas just fine
Primer is perfect
Has compression
Has spark
Is a gas/oil mix, so i guess thats 2 stroke? o_O

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
It's all good, headlights, and a speedo too right?

It sounds like something to do with the carb, the primer bubble doesnt really pump gas into the engine, it sort of just cycles some through the bottom of the carburetor...

What does the air filter look like / have you tried to start it with the filter off?

Also, how about the Choke, the little lever should be on the side of the carburetor. I think up is on, and down is off... :confused:

and even if you can't see it, there should be one filter, on the inlet (Tank --> Carb) hose, hidden inside the gas tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Umm about the lights and stuff

I hav the engine jimmy rigged to the other bike just to giv the gas and power and stuff

The carb, air filter set-up, and choke set-up all came off the other bike

Thats y im so confused, im using all working parts from a bike i knw ran, and i cant get this engine to run, i got it hooked to the key switch, the ground and the electric start im putting directly to the battery

???????

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its got a strong spark, i read a post of yours about the spark color, mines is blue :)

I took the rubber cover off put the plug in it and grounded it out

Plus, stupid me grabbed the plug while i had it cranking and got jolted, but im alright
But i can say im alert and awake now :p

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
even if the spark fires in plain air, inside the cylinder its compressed, so its like 10 times a bigger gap....

have you tried using the choke to start it? have you reset the needle to factory?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dnt knw how to do anything on these

Would it be better for me just to put it back in the bike and hook everything up properly and giv it to a shop?

Or can i be walked through?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok the only thing thats not 'put back together' is the fact that the engine is not attached to the frame

But i do have it wired as if it was

It cranks just fine, but doesnt start
The primer pumps just fine
Uhhh
The plug is puttin off spark
It has compression

The best way to explain it is like a car tryin to start with no gas, or thats my conclusion

The choke airfilter and carb are all the same and off oof a simular engined bike

Thats all im sure of that i can think of

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Hmmm, we need some pictures, or at least links to some parts online that look like yours, there are 1,000's of different parts they could have used, we need more info / pictures to be helpful.

Based only on what you have told us, fuel is being blocked, or the air filter might be clogged, but if the carb runs on one bike, then you switch it to another bike, and it stops, it's a safe bet it's not the carburetor...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ummm its kinda odd, but it runs now....

I fnt knw what i did, i kept putting a lil gas in the plug and letting start for a sec, then it gave one good backfire kick and next thing i knew it was running

I turned it off and back on a few times to makes sure it runs and its stars and runs just fine now....idk why

1 - 17 of 17 Posts