Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to the whole pocket bike thing but I've been fascinated by them forever.

I'm wondering if you guys have any good websites you'd recommend to buy a pocket bike from for a starter. I've never had a pocket bike, I'm 18 years old and I just want something cheap to be able to ride and gain some experience with pocket bikes... Then later on maybe I can get something better and invest money on it.

Anyways, I was looking through USAPocketbikes.com. Is it a good site? I have been reading through you all's threads and it seems like MPR sucks. I want to get a bike with no mechanical problems just assemble it and be able to ride it...

Also... Would MX3 be good for a starter who just wants to drive a pocket bike to see if he should invest in a bigger better deal?

http://www.usapocketbikes.com/mx3-pocketbike/

Love the price. Just don't want to get screwed over with something crappy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
IMO, if you are looking for something cheap before you want to invest in the hobby, I would craigslist one. Make sure it runs though unlike me. :/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually looked through Craigslist but there's none around my town. It'd be easier to buy a real motorcycle than a pocket bike here...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmm... Well if your looking at cheap new ones, that one seems like a good deal but I would wait for feedback on that site and bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've been having trouble with my car for the past 5 days can't find the problem so I dont want to go through something similar with a pocket bike...

·
Registered
177 Posts
hahaha ok whats happening with your car?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Users of this site, voted evenly in "highly negative", and "slightly favorable" of USA pocket bikes.

I just checked, they have an F rating on bbb.org
Do not order from there.

Other pbers have had success with tsunamibike.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I have an '04 Standard Cavalier 2 door (F yeah) anyway I got the mechanic to fix the engine and then two days later I find the water pump leaking antifreeze so we changed the water pump/thermostat and the thermostat wouldnt open so we changed it, then it would open late, we changed the water pump, and it all worked fine except that my car would start throwing out water from the water tank where you put antifreeze. Tried on different caps and they werent the problem. Now we're lost and donno what to do to it.

Back to the pocket bike thing though: SDScooters.com? I heard those are good. I was thinking of a Cag. I'd pay the 400~ish it would be for it. Free shipping too.

Edit: About the Cavalier... The engine was just really dirty. Changed a lot of things in it and cleaned it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I trust SDScooters yes :] There's also a guy on here from the company. You can talk to him directly, he's extremely helpful.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok I was going to have you test your thermostat again. Do you know how by feeling the 2 main pipes?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would personally reccomend pocketbikesunlimited.com but the bikes are a bit raised in price due to a few custom things they do to every factory bike. Its still not a bad site.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bat, name of the guy? Or direct him to pm me?

iFerret, we changed the thermostat 3 times. Bought it first time from Advanced Auto Parts and it didnt open at all. Second time, it would open but late and third time again... I had already told the mechanic since long before that I thought it was the water pump... and it was the design of the water pump (so dont buy water pumps from Advanced Auto Parts)

Anyway, I dont know how... I turn on my car... Everything's fine until the temp reaches the temp when the thermostat opens... At that point, the thermostat DOES open but water starts pouring out of the water tank... and doesnt stop... Or vapor starts coming out. Either or until the car has little water and it begins to overheat, and it keeps losing water until it overheats even more. I really have no clue what to do with it anymore. I bought it for 2,300 and have put in over 2,000 dollars worth of parts (Note that labor and parts are relatively cheap where I live... It would be over 3,000 somewhere else)... Not to mention I leave to college in 3 weeks... So I'm really stressed about it. I think that in worst case I'll go to the dealer and get a diff car. Guy's pretty nice and known him since I was like 6. He had offered to trade it when we found that problem with the engine. Should've taken him up on the offer.

Edit: Bat, do you think SDScooters would get the bike to me SAFELY and in one piece ready to go? hahaha I want to ride it around campus in college. Engineering college at my university gets students with bicycles with lawn mower motors so they should allow pocket bikes!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does it do anything differently when you turn the heat all the way on? That should relieve some of the pressure and reduce the temperature by a bit in the engine. I am thinking you might have a bit of a clog in one of your radiator pipes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, I live in Texas... Turning the heat on will probably make the car explode. LOL We checked the radiator itself when we were having trouble with the thermostats... It was fine. I'm not sure about the "pipes" themselves. I'm not a mechanic and I'm only 18 you see... But I was right about the water pump!!! lol Either way what we dont understand is why the water is coming out at the normal temperature... It shouldn't be doing that. Shouldn't be throwing out vapor either.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I trust SDScooters yes :] There's also a guy on here from the company. You can talk to him directly, he's extremely helpful.
I talk to Hugh lots, he is cool, and a Good guy... are you in SD?

·
Registered
177 Posts
sorry for constantly going off topic... lol. I'm 20 and have personally done all the work to all my cars. I have also worked at a BMW dealership. No schooling though. It sounds like a definite pressure issue then. Whats the level of your antifreeze/water when the car is cold?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The cag would be the cheapest one on there and is relatively easy to work on if anything breaks. Parts are also cheap because everyone and their uncle vinny owns one

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We combined water/antifreeze got it full and when i turn it on it starts cold, gets to like 185 after 10-15 min, then it starts throwing out vapor/water from the hose that is on the tank... Shouldn't be doing it at that temperature though... It keeps doing it until it loses enough water that it overheats past 210. Shouldn't be doing it though and trying on different caps gets the same reaction... I dont understand why.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts