Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 650 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im new to this forum and Pocket bikes. My 2 neighbors and I are looking for a pocket bike to race around the neighborhood. Please advise. We are all mid 40's and Dad's looking to have fun on these little machines!

Thanks

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Welcome to pbp. When looking on your local CL ads i search under barter/rv's and motorcycles. I use tags like CAM2 said and ive seen them listed as Mini pocket bike, Mini motorcycle and mini bike. Ou can also search under the engine size you looking for. Like 49cc or 110cc. It will pull up every with those tags. Some times you can get a great deal if needs work. But check it good and check prices on parts that it will need. Ebay and pocketbikeparts . Com good places to find parts.

Good Luck on your search. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good info!!! I do appreciate it and Thank You for the Welcome. I checked my local CL and found only one's that have been parted out. If I wanted to buy New where is a good source? How are the X7 pocket bikes?

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
I'd start with X1, X2's.... Cheap, easy to work on, lots of Mods, Good sized for adults and for heavier ones.. The small pocket bikes dont fit everyone but are super fun!!!!

I dont even enter the motorcycle section, I search all craigslist from the first page on the left, in city I want and type.. X1, X2, Pocket Bike, 49cc, 50cc, stuff like that till you find what you want... Cateyes suck.. Avoid! fun for a little bit but when you want to start dipping and really having fun they blow....

Cheers

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Very good info!!! I do appreciate it and Thank You for the Welcome. I checked my local CL and found only one's that have been parted out. If I wanted to buy New where is a good source? How are the X7 pocket bikes?
Click all the citys near you.. Sometimes they dont pop up in the "Nearby Results" If you have that on your local craigslist.. Gotta be willing to drive..

X7's are nice... A bit heavier so the 50cc side alittle slow... I think those came in 110cc also.. Or maybe they started those on the X8's?!?! I stick with the 50cc fast enouph with mods...

Oh and 50cc are still legal on some city streets... (not mine) but once you get the 110cc and going fast is when you get pulled over for sure... Good luck...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Nips,

Thanks for the info. I think the X7 will be a nice compromise over the really small pocket bikes. They look like a lot of fun though. I checked my surrounding CL and it still came up with PB's that need work. Since I need 3 of them it's probably going to be a trip to a local shop or internet vendor.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Hey Nips,

Thanks for the info. I think the X7 will be a nice compromise over the really small pocket bikes. They look like a lot of fun though. I checked my surrounding CL and it still came up with PB's that need work. Since I need 3 of them it's probably going to be a trip to a local shop or internet vendor.
Do what I do...I use wanted ads on craigslist to coax people reading who owns one into selling it by planting the message in their minds.......I placed an adfor 1 cag and ended up with 6...........LOL

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
They are fun to. I have one. Alittle smaller than a x7.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool! Im really getting excited about these little bikes and me 2 neighbors are as well. Having ridden 600 sport bikes until the kids came along, these little bikes seem like they are a blast to ride. We shall see how nice this X1 is. The seller is a fair ways away from where I live so it might be a bust but Im going to try and get the bike.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Heres a picture of a x1 i picked up for $60. all it need was a coil and carb adjusted.

This one i picked up for $20. It need carb adjusted and good fuel mix.

They are fun. Im 6ft and 230lbs and i ride them just fine. I would just pick up anything that has the same engine. You can always mod them and get ahead of neighbors bikes. :) just by porting the head and removing the base gasket gives it a good boost.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, those are deals for sure. I know my neighbors aren't the diagnostic type so I will be the one who wrenches on them in exchange for some cold one's. Going with new might be the way we go in the end if the deal is good.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Wow, those are deals for sure. I know my neighbors aren't the diagnostic type so I will be the one who wrenches on them in exchange for some cold one's. Going with new might be the way we go in the end if the deal is good.
Even if going brand new I suggest you take the time to break the bikes down,,grab a 509pc and 128pc metric screw kits and some loctite aswell as some cable/chainlube to lube the steering neck,,cables,,swingarm,,lube the chain,,lube the throttle,,adjust and shim the brakes if needed and swap out the crappy potmetal hardware..make sure you use loctite of theyll rattle apart fast too...........

Break-in is important...The way you break-it in defines life,,longevity and power.......Ride it hard early..Itll die early......Treat it gentle til well broken-in itll treat you good and last a longer time...

When working on them make sure your friends arent as tuned up on cold ones so they can get gist of how you do simple things because if not when its fun time youll be stuck fiddling with broken bikes.........These bikes are super simple inevery way...They just look complicated and seem advanced......Just know and realize any pocketbike thats chinese is assembled/welded in China by 11-15 year old Chinese kids........

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good points CAM, I did what you listed to my son's chinese ATV. I used Loctite on everything. Does the manufacture of the pocket bike give a break in procedure? Im sure they will get ridden slow for at least a while since my 2 neighbors do not have as much riding experience as I do.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To all that have replied to my thread I Thank You! This is a brand new sport for myself and my 2 neighbors. After much searching for X1's, X7's we concluded that we wanted to stay with the mini as our original plan. Since I am the one who will be working on all the bikes I did not want to get into a situation where I had to make 3 bikes road worthy. My 2 neighbors are not mechanically inclined so I am the chief mechanic/wrench on them. We decided to start out with the GP-RSR and see where this takes us. My guess is we will be going to a better bike after this coming summer. My next door neighbor is so excited about these mini's he sends me a text almost everyday asking if I have ordered the bikes! This is going to be fun. I used to race 600's many moon's ago. I won't say how old I am now but let's just say when I did race 600's, it was crazy fun. Looking forward to posting in the future. Thanks again all! Im glad I joined.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Heres another site. They might have some x7's
http://pocketbikesunlimited.com/POCKET-BIKES.html

If your looking for some x1/2's youll have to get them off of ebay or craiglist. They dont make them anymore. But they did sale tons of them. I see them on craiglists in my area all the time.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
I had a friend that raced a 600 Honda Super Sport at Daytona, he crash at the 3/4 mark. So, you must know King Kenny Roberts with Yamaha and Fast Freddy Spencer with Honda on the V4 750cc bikes. I saw saw Kenny on a F1 500cc 2 stroke racing bike, man there Fast.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EPR,

Yes, Kenny Roberts and Fast Freddie Spencer were alway's fun to watch. I have bit it many times pushing a corner too hard or getting on the throttle a bit too fast coming out of a turn but all in all it was a lot of fun. After my first son was born I put the bikes away and kept my feet on the ground. When we found these pocket bikes my neighbor and I decided to have some fun and will be buying them. A friend of mine years ago went over to Canada and bought a Suzuki RGV 500 2-stroke bike. Brought it over as a race bike and then registered it here in the states. Scary fast it was too!

I would like to order the Raptor as I like the frame design but the seat height is a bit low. I think we shall settle on the Blade 49R and see where these little bikes take us. I think the seat height is a bit higher on the 49R which will work out nice for my other neighbor who is a bit on the chub side. If my neighbors get the bug like I have who knows what will happen!!!

1 - 20 of 650 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.