Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright you guys havent failed to help me up till now. So help me work another miracle.
I picked up another 47cc cag for 10 bucks.
I purchased a new starter claw new carb and new filter.
The problem right now is it has no spark at all. I tested the plug to see if I saw any spark and there was none. But what I don't know is if its because of a bad plug or because of the whole boot and whatever that thing is called that is located behind the starter.
So basically I need help diagnosing whether I need a new plug or the whole thing that connects to the plug. Sorry I dont know what its called.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.;)

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Alright you guys havent failed to help me up till now. So help me work another miracle.
I picked up another 47cc cag for 10 bucks.
I purchased a new starter claw new carb and new filter.
The problem right now is it has no spark at all. I tested the plug to see if I saw any spark and there was none. But what I don't know is if its because of a bad plug or because of the whole boot and whatever that thing is called that is located behind the starter.
So basically I need help diagnosing whether I need a new plug or the whole thing that connects to the plug. Sorry I dont know what its called.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.;)
You could hook up a Multi-Meter (VoltMeter) <---$10 at harbor freight!

basically you could use it to check the spark plug (sort of) the Coil (might help) or while turning it over, looking for some Voltage...

being honest, the amperage is SOOOO low that you can be pretty safe while feeling for spark, don't do it while in a swimming pool!

You could also use a multi-meter to check the coil wire for an open. (Ohm's setting - it looks like the little Horse-Shoe)

Nicholas. :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

·
Stormin' Mormon
310 Posts
Can check the coil gap, or if your feeling frisky you can change out coil wire to a hp wire and if it doesn't work id just get a new coil and put the hp wire on that

·
Registered
244 Posts
sounds like either the coil went out, your kill switch might have accidently became unhooked or your key for the flywheel might have sheered off... check these and let us know...

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Also check and make sure the coils properly grounded to the engine case and not painted or oxidized

·
Stormin' Mormon
310 Posts
i had my killswitch button stuck down before i got i new one.. lol took me forever and lots of time taking stuff apart before i realized it was just my kill switch and that was the only reason my bike wouldn't start

heh... the joys of over thinking these silly simple bikes

·
Registered
244 Posts
i had my killswitch button stuck down before i got i new one.. lol took me forever and lots of time taking stuff apart before i realized it was just my kill switch and that was the only reason my bike wouldn't start

heh... the joys of over thinking these silly simple bikes
exactly... always the simple things.. haha.. mine likes to come un-hooked at the coil the electrical connections are cheap(go figure....) and like to come un-hooked and will drive you bonkers trying to figure it out...so I just decided to fix that and put better connections on it and zip tied to the frame..
another problem I just thought of is if you do the Ignition upgrade sometimes the coil wire will pop off the spark plug... just a thought..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a similar problem with my bike... My issue was that the wire leading to the key switch was not even connected -_-

After messing around with the wires a bit, i got the thing working without the key... :)

Not sure what its called, but i have a little wire with a thin circle metal (gold coloured) piece at the end of it that goes between the pull start case and the engine case, which provides the spark when you pull the pull start. Check is that is in place, unless you have a different system... (hope that wasn't too confusing XD)

Cheers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much guys.
I went ahead and ordered a new coil. Came in today and will install as soon as I get home.
The previous owner spray painted everything and did an awful job of covering the starter case and plug and coil and all that good stuff, so I played it on the safe side and decided to buy a new part.
Will let you know how it works thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks very much guys.
I went ahead and ordered a new coil. Came in today and will install as soon as I get home.
The previous owner spray painted everything and did an awful job of covering the starter case and plug and coil and all that good stuff, so I played it on the safe side and decided to buy a new part.
Will let you know how it works thanks!
awesome, gotta love when you have to fix other peoples mistakes... make sure you gap the new coil properly.. .20 I believe.. Nick can chime in and tell you how to do it perfectly..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright guys, so i got spark. hooray..
and it started for a second and turned right off and now i cant get it to come back on. so close..yet so far. ah this blows. any advice?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
hmmm, How is the fuel doing? like if you dribble a few drops down the spark plug hole (remove the plug first :p ) or even if you just pull the air filter and dribble a few drops into the bore of the carburetor, does it seem like it wants to start?!?!?!??????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well actually it acts like the carb may be flooded.
I Try and start it and where the air filter should be theres gas dripping?:confused:

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the Float is stuck, it's on the bottom of the carb, you might be able to remove the bottom of the carburetor (The Bowl) and check to see that the float can move up and down, might want to clean it all out while your at it...

Do NOT forget to dis connect the fuel lines / drain the tank / carb ! :p :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts