Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 110cc x15 pocket bike and after i adjusted the valves to 0.003" on the intake valve and 0.005" on the exhaust valve the bike now makes a ticking sound.

Also just to clarify the valve at the top of the motor is the intake valve and the one at the bottom by the exhaust pipe is the exhaust valve correct?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Ticking valves could be caused by being a bit too tight, (usually)

I can't quote any numbers because I don't work on that engine (YET!) but Blitz or swheels or Glenn or Cam or EPR or any of the 4-stroke guys could help you out!

Is the oil pretty new and up at the right level too?

Also, the valve on the carburetor side *should* be intake, and the one on the pipe side should be exhaust.

good luck! :):thumbsup:

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Thanks man. I thought ticking valves wer?e caused by having too much clearance
It goes both ways, too tight is a click from a crush, too loose is more of a tick from a slap, and the no oil just sort of amplifies the noise, the oil is up there to take up the "free space" and help prevent metal on metal contact.

·
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNIS
1,278 Posts
how exactly di u adjust the valves because u need to hold the center (slotted screw) while snugging the outside nut otherwise it will b out of adjustment did you check to make sure the clearence was correct before putting the caps on and did u have the motor set at tdc when adjusting the valves just questions i need to ask

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i double checked the clearance. And i am positive the motor was set at tdc i saw a T in the little window and i made sure it was on the compression stroke.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just adjusted my valves to 0.002" for intake and 0.004" for exhaust and the ticking has quieted down a bit now there is a little bit of a faint tick is this normal?

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
no i use the .007 for the ex and .005 for the intake, you can see they are bent
the 4valve motor is the same

·
Registered
8 Posts
:D:eek::cool::rolleyes:
how exactly di u adjust the valves because u need to hold the center (slotted screw) while snugging the outside nut otherwise it will b out of adjustment did you check to make sure the clearence was correct before putting the caps on and did u have the motor set at tdc when adjusting the valves just questions i need to ask

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
The rocker arms have to tick.Just like an oldschool solid mechanical lift racing camshaft in cars.................If they dont break contact with the valve stem for even that teeny tiny bit you can overheat the valves...............

·
Registered
355 Posts
When it comes to valve lash, slight loose with a slight tick is better than too tight, and burning a valve or trashing a rocker/cam lobe. I always set my valves to the high end of the tolerence. So if the spec is .002-.004 I target .004

The purpose of a "tolerence" is to not only allow a mechaincal clearence gap, but to also allow a clearence gap for oil lubrication.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts