Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

I just purchased a non name brand mini bike for my 2yr old son ,yea yea I know he's a bit young but i am customizing it for him so he will be able to ride it safely .I have a quick ? the bike has a 24v 300 watt motor an I wanted to upgrade. I was looking at a 24v 900 watt motor with a controller any idea of how much of a RPM and/or MPH difference will i see? also is swapping the motor worth it or is it better to go for higher voltage because i believe i can fit one more 12v in there with a little welding not really wanting to go this route just wondering:D.Will post before and after pics of the bike once im done

thanks in advance

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
hmmm, at 2 years old I think 300 watt would be pretty fast! :D :thumbsup:

I hope you got some baby sized Alpine Stars Leathers for the little dude!

To push 900 watt the stock batteries will run out 3x faster than with the 300watt, but, as a baby I bet minutes are like days to him! ;)

It's hard to say what type of rpm gains you would see at the motor without knowing the gear ratio, and the total weight, bike plus rider...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah got the baby gear
EVS YOUTH BJ22-ULTRA BALLISTIC JERSEY. so basically stay with that motor till he gets older lol will do

thanks bro

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Just to clear this up more watts equals more rpm's in a motor is that correct??
Well, when the motor is pushing weight, I think it would, but watts = current, or Power, or torque when talking about an electric motor, with weight or "A load" slowing down a motor from it's peak rpm's, I would have to say that Yes, more watts should help get back the "lost" rpm's, having more torque would also allow you to use taller gearing, and that would be worth more Top Speed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so now mine 10yr old son wants a pocket bike do you think a 24v 900 watt motor will be good enough for him he weighs about 75lbs? Or should I add another battery an make it 36v 900watt motor with a controller cabable of handling the power?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Is he the "speed racer" type? I think he will be fine for a while, but if the little dude is like I was, He could get tired of it after a couple months.

but with a 75 pound load it should have some decent take off speed for him!

We used to have fun on the stock electric Honda one from Target or where ever the heck Mike got it from...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm the speed type lol an I'm trying to get my boys on the same path anything to do with motors,speed etc..I personally think he might get tired of the stock performance an want to go faster once he gets used to handling an leaning around corners .money is not a problem (not bragging or anything) but what will u suggest as a good set-up for top speed an torque? Basically getting the best out of a electric motor possible without having to switch to gas

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Something close to 500 watt should be good, and then do the hop-ups to it when he thinks it feels slow, I don't have tons of experience with the electric pocket bikes, but I've been through 8 solid months of college level automotive / diesel electrical training... :)

there are a few guys that hang out it this section that should be more of a help!

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Hop-ups????

like a larger motor, or an extra battery, as an electrical engineer, I'm not in totally into the idea, but Lots of people around have done it and it seems to have held up fine...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts