Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well look what made it back to me… lol! The Lucky 7 with the PSWS head… New paint job, blown Engine and Busted frame… haha! He says he didn’t get to ride it much but boy does it look like it had some major use.. This pic was after I sprayed about half can of carb cleaner on the engine to get the dirt off of it..
He said he started it, let it warm up for a minute then charged it.. After about 500 ft it started screaming so he pulled to the side and dropped it. He said he hit the kill switch but it didn’t die.. After about 45 seconds it blew. He said the engine and frame at the same time.. What I think happened is he was hitting it hard and the super torque broke the frame (in a weak spot where these was a weld for a bracket). The Engine dropped and pulled the kill wire off the coil and pulled the throttle cable at the same time.. Think he was able to pull over because the chain fell off when the engine dropped also.. He dropped it in the dirt and didn’t know to choke it or pull the plug so it ran full throttle till it blew ..
When I spin the flywheel it sounds like there is dirt in the cylinder but still feels like there is some compression.. He wants me to try and fix it.. I do have a frame and looks like I’m pulling apart another engine.. lol I hope I might even have enough spare parts… lol When I got it the engine was hanging from the fuel and Throttle line but here are pics...

Attachments

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He said he just covered his ears... lol! Here are pics of inside the case... Is whats funny, i was able to start it on the floor after i cleaned the carb.. I saw what blew out of the exhaust port and knew we were in trouble... lol

One ring was frozen and the bearings were toast.. But overall the cylinder and piston look ok and after a clean up and new bearings I think it will roar again!

Dirt Party 2012

Attachments

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Just covered his ears,lol,lol, next time tell him to cover his Go Nads,lol.
I am afraid of these engine running free wide open, after I blew up the Blue Demon engine. Thats was a good engine, I put it in the Lucky 7 after building and figured one eng is the same as the other, Big Mistake. One pin roller fell out when I took the piston off the rod and the chain was off 1/4 from front to rear. I cranked it with the rear tire off the ground and it derailed the chain and it blew the 3rd bearing cover into pieces and twisted the crank 1/4" off, and messed up the the clutch housing bearing, one exspensive mistake. I am still gun shy today,lol.
I like that billet manifold, is it ADA, never seen one like that, see the up arrow on the inside, that's for rookies,lol. FC crank, and looks like a Zocci clutch. I like the head too, it's different. Looks like sand inside.
So your going to fix it for him then right?

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Holy Moly! lol I hope this one doesnt explode when I get it back together.. Must have been a fun day! lol
Ya I'm fixing it, Almost done with the rebuild.. Waiting on the yamabond to dry so I can tighten the cap the rest of the way.. Guess tomorrow.. Seems the Muffler mount is different on the Lucky 7 frame I'm putting all his stuff on.. Sand, dirt, rocks.. Lol it was all in the engine! I'm shocked it had compression and started on the garage floor.....

I think the manifold is ADA but it doesnt have a ADA stamp.. I think the reeds might be messed up after slapping on dirt. They dont seem to be seating but when I suck through it they kinda do.. lol I'll see once its back together..

Cheers!

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Nice carnage........The torsional vibration will shear cheap steel easily where its welded;-Thats why I take the time to carbon nitride my frames for strength now........Wicked torsional vibes is what I figured broke my Blata 2.5 frame when I slapped in a 70cc methanol huffer.....The vibes that went through it was way too intense even for the steel Blata used........

Killer job getting it back together Nipples....:thumbsup:.....That L7 frame would make a nice candidate frame for a watercooled engine build..................:rolleyes:

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, ya i was trying to save the frame for something fun but putting ths back together was kinda fun too... The dude is stoked and gonna try to heat cycle it today...

I wannna go ride today but a little wet and cold.. And still havent got the polini runnin smooth yet... Coffee and then time to mess around..

Jon

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ITS LUCKY AGAIN!!! lol I've heat cycled it 3 times, just idle for about 3 minutes each.. When the pull start grabs right it starts in one pull.. Sounds pretty good.. I had to turn the idle up just a little but sounds like it wants to go....

Next cycle i'll try to get a video with a few short revs... But the Cag turned Dirt bike made it!!! The Bottom end needs blueprinting and it did not have a rocket key.. Not sure if it needs one with the that head and no base gasket.. I can barely beleive this bike could be faster... I didnt want to spend the time and sure he didnt want to pay for it so it is what it is and its back together.. I'll have the edge if we ever race.. lol Oh the secrets are fun...... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Attachments

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Looking good........I would talk him into strengthening the frame a bit like I did to my MX-3 cag frame...........If you look the footpegs are now sandwiched in-between the strengthening reinforcement that will handle any kind of weight and eleviate the stress on those two downpipes..........Not only do you have the torsional vibes and engine torque but you also have the riders weight on them two tubes aswell..............Theres plenty of room to use some .120" wall thick 1/2" cold rolled steel round bar.......

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Nice.. I was just thinking were the supports could fit! What the carbon nitride strengthining take??

It takes a fire pit and a garbage can to do or a torch that can make the metal cherry red......I use a substance called "casenite".......If you ever seen the etching " CASE HARDENED" on a lock shackletop it means the metal was treated with Casenite ............I harden all my chinese cranks/shafts and gears for 4 stroke 110/125cc engines with it too but on a lesser scale............

Years and years ago I got banned from the Derbi car and enduro racecar scene for using the stuff in an unfair advantage to toughen up the front fenders,,hood and frame rails on my cars...You just heat the frame metal with a torch cherry red,,dump on the hardening materials and then after a few minutes to infuse the carbon cool with a water/amonia solution til its cooled......The hood and fenders went in fire pits we made out of rented 5 and 10 yard dumpsters then when the metal was glowing it was put out with commercial stainless steel fire extinguishers filled with amonia and water solution after having casenite mixture dumped on to infuse the metal....After that the parts were installed on the cars and roller painted.............My cars withstood 45% less damage and Ive even won my shares of derbis along with an old girlfriends brother and uncles cars aswell....They were banned by association...........lol...They kept the ban low profile so noone would attempt to cheat and I was told to keep it a secret....................LOL.............Its been almost 20 years...........LOL

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd say make it a temporary ban or the secret is out... lol Sounds fair to me.. You were just trying to save cash, be safer and a little tougher :rolleyes:...

Lol Good stuff, You cheater!!!

Hmmmmm I have a torch... lol

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
I'd say make it a temporary ban or the secret is out... lol Sounds fair to me.. You were just trying to save cash, be safer and a little tougher :rolleyes:...

Lol Good stuff, You cheater!!!

Hmmmmm I have a torch... lol

LOL.....I could of tried pressing the issue to get back in but then the facts of my indiscretions would of been presented to the county district attorneys office to see what they think about the subject and my name splashed all over cheaterdom if Im convicted................LOL........The substance you want is Kasenit...Dont breathe in the vapors either......My dad used to deal with alot of metal heat treating companys and i went to the closest one and asked questions.....I got a grand tour and a direct line if I had any follow-up questions....LOL

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
I'd have to sand blast the frame first huh? Does powder coating burn off with high enouph heat?? lol
Powder coating activates at 400 degrees so anything over 400 degrees will reactivate it or direct flame to burn it off...............You gotta be careful that you dont warp the frame aswell...Id make a stiffener bar for spacing the swingarm and keeping it from warping too badly.......

We used to use a pyrometer gauge to record temps now theres infrared heat gauges...

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My kiln has a digital pyrometer. I used to have a handheld but it broke.. I also have a infrared one that I use for everthing.. Love that thing! lol

I'm going to save all this madness for another time.. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.