Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...Never thought I would become a subscriber to a Pocket Bike page, but here we are. I'm more into Harley's, but these thing's look FUN.
I just picked up a cag RS/R at my local salvage yard. Twenty Bux! Well...some part's are missing. Engine is complete, minus magneto. Fairing and sidecovers...gone, allong with both fender's. It apealed to me tho, as I have been a mechanic for over 30 year's, and well...I love toy's. When my 11 yr. old seen the bike, it was on. He didnt want to hear about DAD'S new bike! lol. So...that's why I'm here. I want to teach the Boy to ride on this bike...but the "master wrench" has hit a wall. Yea...Ive built twelve hundred HP Pullin Engine's...But a chainsaw engine has me stumped. (gulp)
I bought a Mag on Ebay...from Hong Kong. Go to the source..right? Got part yesterday with much exitement. Got home from work, went straight to Bike with allen wrench in hand. Bolted that baby on...Placed new plug in the end of wire...and cranked it over with the poor mans starter motor...(half-inch drill). I got the faintest spark when grounded on head. I thought it may fly...Put plug in and cranked..nothing. Pulled plug back out..cranked grounded plug again ..no spark. Pulled boot off...helt wire-end to block..no spark. Rat's!!
So I box up the suspect Mag for a return. I recalled a mechanic friend of mine picking up a Bike just like mine..I go to the shop..and His Bike needs a chain...sweeeet...I can borrow the Mag from Him!
I speed home, used part in hand...SAME RESULT!! I'm Wooped. The magnet's in the Flywheel are spotless...Ive got the air-gap on the Mag @ .020. There is a little "Woble" in the f-wheel as it spin's..but I dont think that's it. I need help.
Have these magnets ever lost there "stuff". I know it is possible. but cant say I recall finding that as a cure for a "no spark". Put more than my share of coil-pack's in pass. car's...but that's a whole diff animal.
Before I run on more..I hope I found the place to learn about my new favorite toy. Thank's in advance...for any and all wisdom passed on. That's how we all learn!:confused:

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Try it without the killswitch wire hooked up.............On one of my bikes it wouldnt start with the killswitch hooked up,,once it was running you could hook it up and it didnt kill the engine until the button was pressed............It was a weird problem and I was glad i found it fast..lol....

Have you tried a new NGK BM6A sparkplug gapped to .030"

The problem is most likely the pickup coil...Make sure its not rusty on the pickup ends...........They go bad and wont fire an engine even with spark....It takes the right intensity....Try a lil starting fluid direct into the carb to see if you get a reaction..................Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool...Thank's for the quick hit's. I could try a diff. plug. the one I have was new in the box....but I don't remember buying it. Ive done the cleaning thing. when I take the Mag back to my Bud...I'll see if it starts his bike...If it does... Im buyin a flywheel. Might as well buy a whole engine! Not a costly hobby. Oh Yea..I'll take my chain to my Bud also...Someone should have some fun!

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Welcome to the site. The GP RS-R's can occasionally be a pain, but a decent little ride once they're running. The rear shock makes for a reasonably comfortable ride.

. o O (HoosierDaddy .... I like it. :D )

You may also want to give the carburetor a good cleaning, and put some clear 1/4" lines on it. A lot of the problem with these bikes is fuel delivery.

Let's see some pictures of the bike (and of your big bike, too!) You can go onto PhotoBucket to make a free account - upload your pictures there, then copy and paste the links here.

Gentlemen ... welcome our newest addict to the sport!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay...An Update...I gave my bud back his mag..his bike started right up. Pulled and grounded plug...hard "snap" apon mag firing. I need a flywheel.
Found something interesting tho....the magnets on the flywheel are opposing polarity. I work with magnets, and thought I'd machine out the old magnets, replacing them with some of our "super magnets". Our magnets have all the same polarity. Now I must explain, Our magnets are profiled with a radiused surface on one side. Turning the magnet over would solve polarity issue, but would be flat on one side. Cant re-machine magnets, as they are crome plated. Not worth the time anyway! Just thought food.
So now...I am tearing the whole bike down. Some wideglide dude must have sat on my bike, and bent the rear swingarm @ the kickstand. I'm going to remove and extend it 8". This seems to be the right extension, as per some aftermarket kits I've seen. Gave my buddy the chain off my bike, as I will need a new one anyway. Must get 16" longer chain, or buy two with a master-link tool. Will figure that one out later.
Posted some Pic's. Will put up more. Later! K.W.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Welcome to the Nightmare, my advice to you is get a hold of Boosted306, Sam, and send that engine to him in MoTown, and let him work his Magic.
Get a $25 FC Crank, or talk to Sam about it, I have built my own engines, and he does it cheaper & Better than I can.
My avatar Lucky 7 semi chopper has a Sam's 3rd stage engine, have 2 of his 3rd stage and 2 stocker modded kits like my Red Head engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way Cool...Thanks for the "heads up". I'm not sure how far the wallet, or the Wife will let me go. I havent even ridden one of these bike's yet! I mentionel a friend who got a pocket, we got his goin, and I had to go. Did'nt get to ride. He text's later..."Bike runs great...must ride"! Now I'm on the fast track to a quick fix. Flywheels are cheap. I havent gotten to the carb yet. all seem's okay...1/4" line's are allready in place. Engine "pops" finger off plug hole pretty hard. I dont think the cylinder is hurt...yet.
If I get the "bug" bad enough tho...I've been known to put some roller-crank briggs engine's together. Got 27hp. from a stock apearing 5 horse (on alcohol). This "weed-eater" stuff could be fun!
MORE TO COME!!

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Well if you have that kind of technical background in the 4 strokers Id get to cracking on that 2 smoker,,tear that engine down and build it up right...........Just know that building a performance 2 smoker is kind of opposing to the ways of building a 4 stroker

A dremel and a couple of different grit handfiles plus precision fileset aswell as some deburring tools are basically all the tools needed to do the mods..........

Free mods are flywheel lightening mod...I have an 8 fin flywheel and 12 fin performance flywheels on my engines........

Adding a hp wire to the stock coil...

Rocket key

Clutch lightening mod

Race porting the case is essential for turning that 2 smoker into a supercharger effect engine by enhancing velocity by removing and reshaping the obstructions

The bottom rectangle area is the biggest problem.....Indeed adding a 3rd port works wonders for enhancing the engines power but with a speedbump in the way the 3rd or even 4th added port wont give its full benefits......Reshaping this speedbump enhances flow to the extra ports efficiently..........Your case wont look like this..I started dremeling then I realized to take pics.............

Mine is a 3rd port head and the chinese grinded in the 3rd port off center so I had to match the case to the extra port

Static balancing works wonders too

Basically you need to tear it down and blueprint it up the right way to deliver true performance not potential performance.................

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Thanks for the photos Cam2, I can use that info to do the cases of the 40cc ADA Head & 3 port Cyld, what was the Demon engine, got new seals and bearings and since it is apart there is no better time to Mod it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts