Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GS-12 has more power than I need on the high end, and good power in the mid range. Though it is very weak at the low end, takes about 150 meters to reach the mid range do to the low power on the low end, once it does hit the mid range it takes off in a hurry.

So my question is what can be done to increase the low end power a bit, with out loosing too much at the high end? And preferably at little cost?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Without spending too too much would be to change the gearing. How much are you willing to spend? Also are you handy with tools? And do you have a dremel
(P.S if you don't you should get one).

·
Registered
823 Posts
The bigger the sprocket in the back the more low end you'll have at the expense of high end the smaller the sprocket in the back the more high end at the expense of low end

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without spending too too much would be to change the gearing. How much are you willing to spend? Also are you handy with tools? And do you have a dremel
(P.S if you don't you should get one).
I have very little money, so as little as possible.

I do have a dremel, as well as a lathe, welder, and most of the standard metal working tools. I also have a 3D printer for working with ABS, PLA or a few other plastics.

So what do I need to do to change the gearing? Is it possible to reorder the gears in the gearbox to achieve lower gearing, or am I going to have to purchase/make new gears?

If I have to make new gears, could you point me to instructing on getting the size to tooth spacing correct (every time I try I seem to end up off by about a third of a tooth, despite the math [takes a lot of wasted metal to get it correct])?

If I have to purchase new gears could you point me to a good retailer that takes orders form the USA and has reasonably low prices for a good product?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bigger the sprocket in the back the more low end you'll have at the expense of high end the smaller the sprocket in the back the more high end at the expense of low end
Yes that is gearing it down a bit. Also smaller sprocket on the front would accomplish the same effect.

Problem is that I have not found higher tooth count sprockets for the rear that are still smaller than the tire. There is room to work with, could probably increase the tooth count by one and a half times with out issue on the rear. As to the front I am not sure if anyone even makes a lower tooth count sprocket for that.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Unless you get a custom rear sprocket your pretty much stuck with 38 tooth or what ever it came with, 420 chain rear gear if it is a 4 stroke Honda clone. I have a PBU 28 tooth billet aircraft alum rear gear and 15 tooth front, but I am looking for top speed. There are 12 to 18 teeth front sprockets, you want the smallest front gear you can get. But if you go too small up front the chain can ride a crossed your swing arm on its way to the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts