Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I am going to remove everything off of my frame before I ever ride it, so that it is way easier to prep and takes much less time. I was just wondering what kind of paint you'd reccomend.

I picked out some premium black enamel paint, cuz my neighbor painted his VW tins with some paint and it turned out really good looking, almost like he busted out his compressor/spray gun and shot some auto quality paint on it. I asked him if thats what he did and he told me he sprayed it but not with regular spray paint, he told me it was enamel I think, but when I went to the store I saw enamel and I also saw another word that sounded familiar, I cant even remember what it is now, maybe epoxy(I know thats a term for some adhesives but it sounds really familiar also).

is enamel what gives it a niec smooth finish that looks somewhat like it was powdercoated?

Im am going to paint my wheels and my frame to get a more accurate R1 look.

so is enamel a good choice or is the other thing im trying to think of better?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope it come out good and good luck post some pictures when your down.BTW I cant help you with your question sorry about that.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no problem, Ill post some pics when I get it done.. AND... when I get a new camera. someone else was using it, and the cable from the camera is USB at the computer end and like a headphones jack at the camera and the receptacle for the plug just fell into the camera. it was really hard to get a good connection with it before so it must have been coming loose, I am gonna go into the camera and se if I can fix it but I'll probably have to get a new one.

if it comes out like my neighbors tins Ill be happy with it. I am gonna ask him next time I see him, he has been camping for a while but I thinkg he get shomre tomorrow. hope so since I get the bike tomorrow and then drive to cali for 3+ weeks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, enamel gives a nice hard finish when it is baked on. Not nearly as hard as powder coating but it can have the same look.

To get a high quality finish a few factors are involved. Good quality paint is the first, paint has in it what is called pigments (which is the color basically) the more pigment in the paint the better the look and less fading. Paint pretty much starts to fade once it is on the bike. So what does this mean, say you go and touch something up and you spray with the same paint but it looks darker than the original, thats the fade part. I wouldnt worry about it with these bikes though, to get real high quality auto paint you will be spending big bucks and need to use a spray gun to apply it.

Be sure to sand everything down nice and smooth, wet sanding will help in this area, then be sure to clean all the dust off real good. Apply a coat of primer, it is better to apply in thin coats and do multiple coats than to try and do one thick one. sand/wet sand, clean, another primer coat and repeat a third time. Then do the same with your base coat or color coat. but on your last coat, wet sand real light. Then spray on 3 coats of clear at least. Follow the same rules as wet sanding, washing, but on the last coat wet sand very very lightly, then buff with compound to bring it to a shine.

If you have any scratches on the frame or body work you will want to sand and fill those as needed with body filler. Now if you are going to paint your frame you can sand down the weld marks then fill with body filler to get seemless lines. Lot more work though, but nice finish when done.

If you want something to look real good take your time and be sure to let each coat dry, unless you have an oven to bake everything in, the bike will scratch easily for the first few days to a week until the paint really cures properly.

Good luck, and lets see some pics when you are done

blueR1cag said:
well, I am going to remove everything off of my frame before I ever ride it, so that it is way easier to prep and takes much less time. I was just wondering what kind of paint you'd reccomend.

I picked out some premium black enamel paint, cuz my neighbor painted his VW tins with some paint and it turned out really good looking, almost like he busted out his compressor/spray gun and shot some auto quality paint on it. I asked him if thats what he did and he told me he sprayed it but not with regular spray paint, he told me it was enamel I think, but when I went to the store I saw enamel and I also saw another word that sounded familiar, I cant even remember what it is now, maybe epoxy(I know thats a term for some adhesives but it sounds really familiar also).

is enamel what gives it a niec smooth finish that looks somewhat like it was powdercoated?

Im am going to paint my wheels and my frame to get a more accurate R1 look.

so is enamel a good choice or is the other thing im trying to think of better?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now I might just use the flat blakc I got, I saw mini R1's and it looks like he used flat black and it has more of the true appearance of the new R1's frame. bike gets here in the mail in a few hours hopefully, on the truck to my house now, so Ill be painting soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good luck with painting it. I am about half way finished paint my bike aswell. Hope it looks good!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just be careful if the paint does not resist the gas/oil, it will come right off if you get a leak. I went flat black on the frame and gloss black with polished outer rim on the wheels.

Don't rush and keep your parts organized.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn fedex, I called and it may take til 9:30 tinight for me to get it, and I have to head out to cali for a month tomorrow or by lates friday, so I doubt il even be able to touch this bike. UPS gets mye my **** by 3:00 PM tops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts