Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Panda Mopeds - New guy on the block! 125cc X18

Hey y'all. I'm Josiah. Just picked up a stripped X18 super pocket bike last night. It's yet another project to break my wallet and slightly aggravate my folks a little more. So now I'm up to 4 mopeds, a 77 Benz, and this X18.

The X18 is currently missing an engine, left fork, left handle bars & controls, gauge cluster, lights, fairings, front fender, gas tank, and kick stand. I have a set of GY6 front dampers on the way (snagged for $26). I also have a never fired Lifan 125/4-up sitting in my parts room that finally will have a home. Plans are simple:

- GY6 front dampers
- KX125 swing arm
- Lifan 125cc 4-up
- oil cooler
- reinforced engine mounts
- single exhaust

*** Edited: Not X19 but X18. Still same plans...!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site.....
It would be intresting to see what the x18 will look like with the moped forks on it. As far as the motor mounts go you really don't need to reinforce them . They can handle the 125cc 4stroke motor without any issues. I have a built 165cc motor in minds that I have been racing since 2009 maybe earlier. Never had any issues with the motor mounts or swingarm. For the 125 swinger you will have to widen it some how so the x18 rear wheel will fit. I couple of people have done this,they either shaved done the x18 rear hub or widen the swingarm.
Good luck with the project post pics.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Welcome to pbp!

Bike is looking good with that motor in it.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Nice project in the making...I had a few X18's...Theyre ok bikes...

If ya want to know how to really reinforce the frame for some serious riding look up a thread from an old member here named UnProRacer.He asked how to make an X18 alot more rigid.... I told and he did the work and was very happy with the way it turned out and the way the bike handled too........

Its easier to mount a KX125 swingarm into an X15 than an X18 but can be done with a lil extra work...Good Luck

@swheels...I didnt have to widen the swingarm on my X15 dragbike...I just had to chop the swingarm mounts thinner and make custom axle spacer bushings to ride in the wider groove aswell as make a longer rearbrake cable plus lengthen the chain.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking Good, took me 2 years to get my X18 street ridable,lol.
Yeah, I would love to get the bike street legal but a.) no title and b.) no money for all the work. In a couple years, if I still have it, I'll street it; but, for now, it's just going to be for rec/racing use.

If ya want to know how to really reinforce the frame for some serious riding look up a thread from an old member here named UnProRacer.He asked how to make an X18 alot more rigid.... I told and he did the work and was very happy with the way it turned out and the way the bike handled too........

Its easier to mount a KX125 swingarm into an X15 than an X18 but can be done with a lil extra work...Good Luck

@swheels...I didnt have to widen the swingarm on my X15 dragbike...I just had to chop the swingarm mounts thinner and make custom axle spacer bushings to ride in the wider groove aswell as make a longer rearbrake cable plus lengthen the chain.....

^ INSPIRATION FOR MY BUILD! Haha. Love your X15. As far as bracing goes, I'll look for that thread.

*** UPDATE: GY6 dampers are a no-go for now. I forgot they mount differently than normal front ends. Further down the road I may end up modifying the head tube to fit other forks but for now, I just need to find 1 damper.

SO... DOES ANYONE HAVE A LEFT SIDE FRONT DAMPER OR FULL SET THEY WANT TO LET GO FOR CHEAP!? AND AXLE IF POSSIBLE.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
I said street rideable, as in safe, Not Legal,lol,lol. X18 & X19 have the same front tubes & forks. I have a good set, but not letting them go. PB Parts in Florida has sets of tubes & shock forks $39.95. Don't know about shipping, I order $100+ at a time for free S/H. I got mine used, cost me $20+ to ship them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well according to laws around here (or at least those in black & white...) I could technically register it as a "scooter". Would just need all lights, horn, bigger wheels (i think 12" is minimum), *** tires, and at least 65 mph (i think?). But then i would still probably die...even though riding a 25mph top speed moped at night is about the same as far as the safety aspect of it!

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
When i was still living in dallas tx you get ride them on the street. Just had to be 250cc or under to be scooter. But they might have hanged that in the past 5yrs.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts

ah ok..... infact it was unproracer that had to widen the swingarm..Oh wait I think he used one from an 85 or 65cc and I think cutlasskel and shooter used one form a pitbike. Then [email protected] used one I think from 85cc so I guess that's
why they had to widen them. Ha I got the size of the dirtbike confused.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so, did some more tinkering on the bike last night...mostly just removing rusted bolts and unneeded parts and figuring out wiring. Ran into a snag though: Intake & carb position...

Mocking up the intake/carb i noticed no matter how i rotate it it ends up hitting something, whether frame or non-existent gas tank (hah!). If i owned a welder id just fab up a shorter manifold. As far as access to the carb though, i will prob have it tucked inside the frame and have an air box with panel filter mounted on the outside of the frame. Anyone have a suggestion for an intake mani?

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
My X18 is like that, if you go lower w/ a bigger carb you hit the valve adj cap on the head,lol. I got a swivel and a hair shorter manifold to give me some adjustment.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My X18 is like that, if you go lower w/ a bigger carb you hit the valve adj cap on the head,lol. I got a swivel and a hair shorter manifold to give me some adjustment.
Mine goes to the right alittle. Its also longer than then older x18's.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums...75048E-23545-00001B64FC8977C1_zps740ca295.jpg
I solved the problem... need to make a hardware run tomorrow but got crafty. I'll toss up a pic tomorrow when I get it mounted. Plan is to hack the intake manifold, add a piece of rubber hose, and attach a Champion carb (GY6). Then I'll be running another hose to an air box: if this fits >>> http://www.scooter-center.com/scowe...arget=productdetail&category1=C&category2=CAT

***pdate: Just put in an order at PB Parts. Got a set of X18 forks coming...sitting aside the spare right disc fork tube for a later day. Also 10mm axle, stock X15 exhaust (need the header), key switch, and gas tank. Hopefully I'll get the parts by mid next week and have the bike ridable by that weekend!

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
You need a 12mm axle for the X18 front and rear wheels. If your wrong call them and change it. You can mod your stock exhaust buy cutting 4" off the head pipe, and adding a 4 or 5" piece of truck pipe in the center of the belly. The 3" OD diesel pipe extension cost me $20 and it makes 3 pipes, not bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
That was a typo. Meant 10mm. Problem with doing that mod is there's no header to begin with. All the bike had left is the chamber and a short piece of pipe running under the seat. That and my pipe is different than what yours is... http://www.pocketbikesunlimited.com/images/exhaust-tip.jpg ...It's a 26-ish mm header/mid pipe then a super heavy piece of metal at the back (first thing to say byebye)

Also, managed to grab a pipe off ebay for free... $20 in eBay Bucks woo!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.