Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that the inferno ignition is nothing special and a waste of money. What have you guys done as far as ignition upgrades go?

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Put a better coil wire on. They usually screw off. If not it will break. I usually carefully pick the rest out with a dental pick. Ive heard acytone will melt the glue that holds it in. I havent tried that yet.There will be a screw coming out of the coil. In the center of where the old wire was.You screw the new wire onto that. then a bead of silicon and some heat shrink. I used msd 8.8mm copper core. That and an Ngk sparklug. Youre good to go. I would check the air gap between the coil and flywheel also. Its supposed to be 0.020". Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Put a better coil wire on. They usually screw off. If not it will break. I usually carefully pick the rest out with a dental pick. Ive heard acytone will melt the glue that holds it in. I havent tried that yet.There will be a screw coming out of the coil. In the center of where the old wire was.You screw the new wire onto that. then a bead of silicon and some heat shrink. I used msd 8.8mm copper core. That and an Ngk sparklug. Youre good to go. I would check the air gap between the coil and flywheel also. Its supposed to be 0.020". Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do it, this is right, and your post too, Myth Confirmed! <---The myth-busters freaking ROCK!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So guys, should I be looking for a spark plug wire or a coil wire?
There are so many different types out there..
Copper core, SS core, spiral core, supression, Ferro spiral and so on.
What exactly should I be looking for in a wire?
Thanks!

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Go to Pep boys, they sell single Msd wires I think they have a repair kit even You want copper core. You dont need to send off for one. Napa also sell single plug wires. You just need a good quality wire and boot. Supresion type burn your coil out prematurely

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
The last wire you asked about has a resister in it. Ive been told thats bad.

100% correct! In automotive, we run EXTRA resistance, to "clean up" the signal, and prevent "cross-talk"

But, the pocket bikes, don't have quite the same level of electrical components that even my Hyundai has...

So, the simpler (but still fat) wires are right on the money, just like John said!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so a wire with NO EMI or RFI supression is fine to use?
All we want is a solid copper core conductor wire correct?
And the lower the resistance the better?

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
You got it. Its really simple. Its like everything else on these things. You just cant over think what youre doing. If you get stuck ask questions like you have been. Someone will usually always get back to you. Now go get a wire and let us know what happens. Lol.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Ok so a wire with NO EMI or RFI supression is fine to use?
All we want is a solid copper core conductor wire correct?
And the lower the resistance the better?
No dont use copper stranded core........Copper core builds resistance as the wire heats up and the rpms build...........

I use Fero Core,,Spiral core and anything that has a silicone jacket instead of plastic that doesnt have a copper strand core.............

I use Accel Extreme 9000 8.8mm,,,,,,,,,Accel 300+ 8.8mm....MSD 8.5 and 8.8mm.........Bosch,,Splitfire and now a few more.............

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I see the MSD 8.5mm super conductor wire has one of the lowest resistance ratings (45-50 ohms/ft), but it's copper alloy conductor tightly wound around a "special" core. Is this still considered "solid core"?
It also DOES have EMI supression (will that cause premature coil death or anything wierd?)
I apologize for having so many questions and making it seem more complicated than it is. I just want to buy the right stuff here.
Thanks again!

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
On a cag youll only use 5 inches of wire.............

Suppression wires are the best because they interfere less with things like tachs,,GPS units,,Stereos and rearview mirror cameras...........

The stock wires that come on the coils have recycled plastic covering...They tend to leak spark alot when they crack from drying out.....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts