Pocketbike Forum banner

Plug wire/ignition upgrades

5K views 54 replies 7 participants last post by  NaSa 
#1 ·
I hear that the inferno ignition is nothing special and a waste of money. What have you guys done as far as ignition upgrades go?

#2 ·
Put a better coil wire on. They usually screw off. If not it will break. I usually carefully pick the rest out with a dental pick. Ive heard acytone will melt the glue that holds it in. I havent tried that yet.There will be a screw coming out of the coil. In the center of where the old wire was.You screw the new wire onto that. then a bead of silicon and some heat shrink. I used msd 8.8mm copper core. That and an Ngk sparklug. Youre good to go. I would check the air gap between the coil and flywheel also. Its supposed to be 0.020". Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

#12 ·
100% correct! In automotive, we run EXTRA resistance, to "clean up" the signal, and prevent "cross-talk"

But, the pocket bikes, don't have quite the same level of electrical components that even my Hyundai has...

So, the simpler (but still fat) wires are right on the money, just like John said!

#15 ·
No dont use copper stranded core........Copper core builds resistance as the wire heats up and the rpms build...........

I use Fero Core,,Spiral core and anything that has a silicone jacket instead of plastic that doesnt have a copper strand core.............

I use Accel Extreme 9000 8.8mm,,,,,,,,,Accel 300+ 8.8mm....MSD 8.5 and 8.8mm.........Bosch,,Splitfire and now a few more.............

Attachments

#14 ·
You got it. Its really simple. Its like everything else on these things. You just cant over think what youre doing. If you get stuck ask questions like you have been. Someone will usually always get back to you. Now go get a wire and let us know what happens. Lol.

#16 ·
So I see the MSD 8.5mm super conductor wire has one of the lowest resistance ratings (45-50 ohms/ft), but it's copper alloy conductor tightly wound around a "special" core. Is this still considered "solid core"?
It also DOES have EMI supression (will that cause premature coil death or anything wierd?)
I apologize for having so many questions and making it seem more complicated than it is. I just want to buy the right stuff here.
Thanks again!

#17 · (Edited)
On a cag youll only use 5 inches of wire.............

Suppression wires are the best because they interfere less with things like tachs,,GPS units,,Stereos and rearview mirror cameras...........

The stock wires that come on the coils have recycled plastic covering...They tend to leak spark alot when they crack from drying out.....

#22 ·
At the heart of it this could be true, but....

Some of the coils, build up and even store a small charge because of the Suppression, adding a "kicker" when the coil passes by and adds enough juice to kick out a nice strong spark, some motorcycle 4-stroke tci / cdi unit's actually feed 12v to the coil all the time, then when they drop the voltage for a stroke, it kicks out a spark.

#23 ·
Really? That's pretty interesting..

So I haven't purchased anything yet. Went to Autozone, Pep Boys, A local hot rod shop and a motorcycle/offroad place and I found nothing worth buying :-(
Ever since I did the research earlier I kind of got stuck on that MSD 8.5mm super conductor wire. Copper wound core with super low resistance sounds right.. Having the RFI supression properties as well might be a good thing actually as I plan to TRY and do a Trailtech Vapor install on the bike in a few months.
(Need to work some OT pronto!)

If you guys have any more suggestions for me or interesting technical stuff about plug wires please share..

Thanks for all your help!

#24 ·
(Details:Universal MSD Ignition HEI Coil Wire - Blaster 2 Super Conductor - 84039
Fits: Universal
18" long, Blaster Socket terminal and boot on one side with a Distributor Cap Socket Terminal and Boot on the other.)

I assume one of these terminal/boots will fit a spark plug?

#28 ·
Dude, but there are some kick butt Blu-Ray movies out now!

Just kidding, the vapor is awesome, I WANT ONE!!!! it's a tach / speedo + more!

Below it is the Rear View Camera, Nice! who want's to look back just to see the guys that are loosing! Plus, on a street bike, you can ditch all the mirrors if you add a rear view camera, <----Cool trick!

And the Satellite Radio, Well, are there headphones you use Cam? because that little receiver does not look like if it had a speaker it would be loud enough to "Talk" over the revved out engine, and the knee scraping around the corners...

#29 · (Edited)
I have a communications set I clip 1 on my helmet and hook the wire for the SkyFi3 into the input jack.The wire is routed through my riding jacket............The Klipsch mini speakers are in my helmet and the XM antenna is on the tail............I have a second unit too so the second rider next to me can hear the tunes aswell............lol..

The Skyfi3 can also transmit through the communicators without a wire but the sound is cleaner with it wired in.............

I can also store vids and pics on my SkyFi3 and play them back through the rearview mirror camera.............

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
I got it from fleabay.............It seems they discontinued the MSD GoPed kicker Ignition system so I was forced to buy this one.....It works just as good........I have one on my HPI clone 5B and it works killer............

Nick it takes the same 4 battery pack for the receivers..Its 4.8-6.0volts...Im using my 6.0v 2000mah rechargeable humppack to fire it.............

That setups now mounted on my Zenoah cag....theres 3 more setups coming from HongKong next week..............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.