Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a used pocket bike, not sure what it is, but i've been trying to start it. i pulled the plug and tested it agenst the engine to find no spark. it has a fuse/key/charging slot on the side but no battery. i dont need the lights right now i'd just like to get it running. any ideas?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
so i bought a used pocket bike, not sure what it is, but i've been trying to start it. i pulled the plug and tested it agenst the engine to find no spark. it has a fuse/key/charging slot on the side but no battery. i dont need the lights right now i'd just like to get it running. any ideas?
Did you check the fuse for continuity?

Nicky.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Does it look like this bike..............You can disconnect the two wire harness plug that goes through the fancover to the coiland youll disconnect the killswitch........

You may have a rusty coil and magneto or a burnt out sparkplug...............

remove the coil;-clean up coil and magneto if rusty/dirty,,,regap to .020"

change the sparkplug...NGK BPM6A gapped to .030"........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has the same style boxy frame as that but a silver swing arm. and the fuse isnt blown and can be checked by my multimeter

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
The fuse has nothing to do with spark......The keyswitch,,coil and magneto do........

The rear swingarm on my green X1 is painted black and so was the front forks and footpeg accents....One day so will the whole frame,,trans and rims

Heres another one of my X1 bikes not blacked out................

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
oooops, My bad, I should have "Known" that easy one!

I check fuses almost everyday for "continuity" with my FREE fluke meters! which do ROCK by the way! earned $250
in the last few days with them!

Only took an hour to "spend" the money, on silly Computer software! Thanks Visa! <---Credit cards ARE EVIL!

hehehe.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
On the right side of the bike youll see a fancover over the transmission with a 2 wire harness plug with sheathed wire running through it...Its orange or red.....remove the cover.................

Under that cover after removing it youll see this..................Remove the coil,,,clean up the magnets on the magneto and the pickup coil ends,,regap the space between the coil and magnets to .020"

Get a new NGK sparkplug.............Theyre cheap..............NGK BPM6A gapped to .030"

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Check to make sure the fuellines are on right.....Black = larger ribbed nipple on carb...........clear line = smaller smooth nipple on carb

Make sure the small tiny purgeport hole in the carb gasket is lined up with the carb and intake..If the purgeport is blocked the carb cant pump fuel

Try cleaning the carb through the highspeed needle hole while holding the throttle wide open and resetting the hsn to 1 1/2 turns out and resetting the lsn to 1 3/4 turns out and see how that turns out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
how will i know if it's rich or not?. also the low speed was all the way in so that was a prob. which needle would prevent from starting? also the previous owner got a performance airfilter along with a "bigger" jet. think that could do something? also it sounds like it has compression but could it need new gaskets?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
plug chops? also im going to try some ether tomorrow to c if that helps

Yeah, not like eating Pork Chops, Plug Chops are the engines best way of YELLING at you to please mix the
gas and oil so it tastes better for the engine to not EXPLODE!

2-strokes have only one source of oil, the fuel, too much is bad, too LITTLE IS REALLY DANG BAD!!!

ps

Sorry Mr GoRe.... J/K

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i had been thinking it was not mixxed. the gas looked to clear. ill go get a thing to mix it and some oil and try again. to empty the tank should i just pull the black line off the carb and put it in a jug?

edit,so i've hooked the starter up to a car jumper and can get the engine to spin fast but still wont start. im guessing it needs a rebuild?

edit edit, pulled the head off found the gasket in peaces. im going to a local store and im going to pick up a gasket set

what is the tourqe specs for the head?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
i had been thinking it was not mixxed. the gas looked to clear. ill go get a thing to mix it and some oil and try again. to empty the tank should i just pull the black line off the carb and put it in a jug?

edit,so i've hooked the starter up to a car jumper and can get the engine to spin fast but still wont start. im guessing it needs a rebuild?

edit edit, pulled the head off found the gasket in peaces. im going to a local store and im going to pick up a gasket set

what is the tourqe specs for the head?
if you have fuel and spark, *assuming* the timing is correct, compression is all that is left!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well im just going to try and sell this as a roller/ parts rig. we'll see what happens on my next pocket bike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts