Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
47cc cag.
Yea common sense says a bike will die once it runs out of gas. So I premixed Quaker State 2 cycle with gas 32:1. My friend put this fuel enrichner thing that claims to preserve gas and clean your carb and what not. We fill the tank, and did everything I previously stated. And now it won't even try to start. We pulled for at least 30 minutes before calling it quits. Anyone have any ideas why?
And yes I had the switched turned on and I adjusted the choke a million different ways, so I know this isn't the issue.
Could it be that crap we put in their to preserve the "freshness" of gas?
If so how do I fix it?
It says its for 2 cycle motors.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Clean the carb. I would venture to guess that there is something clogging the inlet passage. I would do the petcock mod,and fuel delivery mods while I was at it. After that you should be good to go. Fuel stabilizer has nothing to do with it. I use it all the time. While youre tinkering,you should check the air gap on the coil,check chain alignment,breaks. The usual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sounds like the main suspect, did anything other than the fuel get changed?

also I would check the spark plug, to make sure it's not fouled, and while you have it out, check it for spark.
John the Chimp said:
Clean the carb. I would venture to guess that there is something clogging the inlet passage. I would do the petcock mod,and fuel delivery mods while I was at it. After that you should be good to go. Fuel stabilizer has nothing to do with it. I use it all the time. While youre tinkering,you should check the air gap on the coil,check chain alignment,breaks. The usual.
Thanks alot for the input guys.
Nick: Yes thats the only thing we did different.
John: It doesnt affect it? I really dont think its the carb, i ordered a brand new carb and installed it not even a week ago. I also checked for the spark, breaks, alignment, etc. But what do you think is the right gap for the spark plug?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
With these carbs one minute they work great, 5 mins later its clogged or falling off. I would check the spark plug, if it gets to wet, w/ 100 pulls and the choke, its not going to start. My 3 Stage Billet head avatar engine, have to clean the plug all the time. One day it ran great the next day it would not start, put in a new China plug, runs Great again.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Thats what Im saying. These little carbs are exactly that. Little, I think its Epr thats always saying the jet is only 0.025" thats not very big. I used to have to clean my carb. everytime I rode. I havent had to clean one since I did the above mentioned mods. I have hade to clean a couple of filters. Much easier. I set my plugs at 30. Nick Ive been riding 2strokes for 36yrs. Ive always used fuel stabilizer. We all know with todays fuel all the additives bogger up real quick.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Like a doctor, I always ask what was the last thing that changed, that seemed like the newest "ingredient" so it became a suspect to me.

as a computer tech, I've been trained to use similar techniques...

but, when used correctly (mixed) they (stabilizers) are fine!

But I still like to drain the fuel out of 2-strokes between rides!

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
the ethanol is having its effect dont forget
i put some 103 in my bike one time and it melted my fuel filter
some plastics are not resistant to possibly harsh chemicals
troubleshooting always starts with recent history

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I go to Napa Auto and for $10 get a 16oz, bottle of 104 Octane Boost, for 2 years have been running it in all 7 gas engines. I talked to the tech at 104, and told him what I was doing and he told me 1 1/3 oz per gallon, in 91 Octane w/ produce about 96 Oct. Its perfect for these bikes, and it has a top oil in it for the valve guides on your 4 strokes. The bike book on all mine say 98 Octane, but thats Asian Octane, don't know if it is the same as are System. 104 sponcers, Pro Lawnmower Racing, them guys are Crazy.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Epr. I use that same stuff. There is actually a gas station around the corner that sells race fuel. I havent had a chance to run any yet. I start work tommorrow. Thank god.(I just hope it lasts). I may have to pick up some 101. I love the way that fuel smells when it burns. If I could find some blends-all I would be in heaven. Jusy thinking about it brings me back to my moto-gp days. The 24hr endurance races were a blast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone I used all the information you guys gave me.
And this stupid bike just magically decided to start after about the 14th pull yesterday. My friend's boss said if we just said "please" it would start, so we did.
But that didn't stop me from checking everything once again. Its strange now it feels like its bogged down whenever I head down a straight to top off. It doesnt sound like its reving as high as it did prior to that last mix we put in.
And about gapping, I can gap without having to do any other mods with it? Or do I hold off on gapping till I upgrade.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
I would set the gaps. I didnt change the gaps when I did my mods. My bike does 34mph. I havent done any porting yet either. You can see all that Ive done on the thread named Project Chimp. All low cost home done mods. I spank the bb bikes around here. I dont know if its my bike or me thats faster. They start to catch me in the begining of the straights then they just go away. Maybe my Chimp riding styl scares them. Lol.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
I forgot to ask. Did you clean the carb? I know you said its brand new. I clean every new carb I get. They always come with stuff in them. Did you set the float level? You could need more fuel at topend. You could be getting reed flutter also. I havent tried any yet. But there are mods for that also. These toys are great! For those of us that like tinker,and smell like gas. I know Ive mentioned alot of mods. But I suggest you do them all one at a time. That way you see the results, and its easier if you have a problem with one. That and it makes it easier to diagnose when youre done with them all. Because you know what each one does performance wise.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Good Job John, made me want to Go work on my bike,lol,lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to ask. Did you clean the carb? I know you said its brand new. I clean every new carb I get. They always come with stuff in them. Did you set the float level? You could need more fuel at topend. You could be getting reed flutter also. I havent tried any yet. But there are mods for that also. These toys are great! For those of us that like tinker,and smell like gas. I know Ive mentioned alot of mods. But I suggest you do them all one at a time. That way you see the results, and its easier if you have a problem with one. That and it makes it easier to diagnose when youre done with them all. Because you know what each one does performance wise.
Actually, no I haven't clean the carb out. I was just happy it started but I guess it should come apart now along with other little things to make sure everything is in working order. But wow Im not sure of half the mods you spoke of.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Nothing I mentioned is very difficult at all. Im a trained Chimp, and I got them done. What youre not sure about. Do a search. There is a plethra of info here. What you cant find that way. You can always ask. I always say the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. Everyone here is very willing to help,and share there knowledge. Just like I said do your research. If youre still not sure. Ask. Since Ive done the mods my bike is not only faster, but its way more reliable. Witch makes it funner.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
You crack me up John! my diesel buddies call me "the mad engineer" and my favorite teacher had to tell me a million times, "This is NOT NASA" and "Quit Over thinking IT" :confused:

Engines are NOT like computers, but the new Detroit Diesel dd15's have about 7 different computers! :D:thumbsup:

Nothing I mentioned is very difficult at all. Im a trained Chimp, and I got them done.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Here is one thing I have learned. Make one change at a time, if you make 8 changes and the engine don't run, which change is keeping it from running. Had it happen to me many times.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Nick Im not joking. My friends all call me a chimp. I work construction, stage tech for several bands,play on these little toy,and have a tendency to break things being a little rough. Just like a trained chimp. Epr I always do my mods one at a time. I thought I had mentioned to do just that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts