Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked up the rules for bikes in PA, but I need to make sure I'm understanding what the rules are.
http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-momo.pdf
I'm 15 looking to get a pocket bike, but I want to make sure to see if it's street legal first. According to the laws in that link does it allow a 15 year old like myself to ride around with a pocket bike? If so what are the restrictions. Do I need a license and follow the rules of the road? And if it is illegal street wise, where are places I can ride it? Is there tracks where you can go to ride?

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
According to that you can't even ride a moped without the Class C Licence.. Criteria 10! The Motor Driven Cycle and Motorycle both need Motorcycle Licence.. And they all need to be registered... lol

Hope you find somewhere safe to ride!!

Good luck!

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Of course youre supposed to obey the rules of the road with certain exceptions when on a regular pedal bike......I know Pa is madd strict onillegal motorized vehicles..

As far as I remember the only loophole Ive found is getting a golfcart registered and be able to use it on the roads plus not have a license to use it either........In Pa even horse and buggys have to be plated..........

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
if i remember i thought under 50cc was legal.. there should be an old post in here by me talking about the law..

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
you have to find the laws governing scooters and go-peds under 50cc, not mopeds or motor bikes over 50cc

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Cagaroni, haven't seen you here in awhile, hope everything is going good for you. California is really strict but think a less then 50cc scooter can still ride on the side of the road at 25 mph or less.
You might consider a YSR 50cc Yamaha bike, 12" rims, 5 speed, I had a blast on mine and it was registered, the secret word,lol. When I had mine guys where putting XR 80cc Yamaha engines in them, CAM2 has a really wild bike. I sold mine years back, wish I could go back in time and get back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in PA and I have been ticketed and fined for dirtbikes, pocket bikes and mini bikes in the street.

Here's what the PA law means.

Any vehicle operated on any public street in the Commonwealth must be
1. Registered
2. Insured
3. Have a valid inspection sticker

Now let's pick this apart.
A VEHICLE is anything with wheels. Doesn't matter how many.
The only VEHICLES that are permitted on roads that are NOT limited access highways that do NOT need a registration are HUMAN POWERED ONLY.

What does this mean?
If your thing with wheels has power by anything other than a human, it must be registered, inspected and insured or else it MAY NOT BE OPERATED LEGALLY on any public street in PA.

Also, human powered vehicles may not be operated on limited access highways such as an Interstate Highway, the PA Turnpike, and other roads that have a minimum speed posted (Usually 40 mph minimum).

So- If your mini bike or pocket bike meets all Federal *** Safety Specifications at the time of manufacture, and it has a Federal *** Certification label on it, then you can get it registered, buy insurance, and get it inspected. If it does not meet these Federal *** conditions, and it does NOT have a certification label that says it meets or exceeds all Federal *** Safety Standards for Motor Vehicle, you are OUT OF LUCK. The only place you will ever be able to ride it is on private property, with the permission of the property owner.

Street Legal?
Motorcycle yes, with valid license plate and inspection sticker
Moped yes, with valid license plate and inspection sticker
Mini Bike, Gas No.
Stand on-Scooter, Gas No.
Engine that goes on a regular pedal bike: No.
Old person hover round chair: no.
Plastic toy with batteries from Toys R Us: No.
Minbike powered by really tightly wound up rubber bands: No.
Pocket bike that uses batteries: No.
Pocket bike that has only pedals and you pedal it to move it: yes.
Bicycle: yes unless posted no bicycles
Skateboard: yes unless local ordinance against them
Rollerblades: yes
Pogo Stick: Not a vehicle, no wheels. law doesnt apply.

heres a rule of thumb. if the local auto tags place wont give you a license plate
for your vehicle, its not street legal in PA.

Now this may sound like a *****... But here's why. A WHOLE BUNCH of kids, especially in Western PA and other rural area, have died as a result of ATV
accidents. This made PA very itchy about things that aren't motorcycles or
cars.

So how do amish buggies get away with being pulled around on the street? They arent human powered, they are horse powered.
Answer: Horses are street legal in PA. Amish buggy operators have a card from the state police that says they may be operated on the street. It also has a list of things they cant do like what roads they cant use, lighting, etc.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
I live in PA and I have been ticketed and fined for dirtbikes, pocket bikes and mini bikes in the street.

Here's what the PA law means.

Any vehicle operated on any public street in the Commonwealth must be
1. Registered
2. Insured
3. Have a valid inspection sticker

Now let's pick this apart.
A VEHICLE is anything with wheels. Doesn't matter how many.
The only VEHICLES that are permitted on roads that are NOT limited access highways that do NOT need a registration are HUMAN POWERED ONLY.

What does this mean?
If your thing with wheels has power by anything other than a human, it must be registered, inspected and insured or else it MAY NOT BE OPERATED LEGALLY on any public street in PA.

Also, human powered vehicles may not be operated on limited access highways such as an Interstate Highway, the PA Turnpike, and other roads that have a minimum speed posted (Usually 40 mph minimum).

So- If your mini bike or pocket bike meets all Federal *** Safety Specifications at the time of manufacture, and it has a Federal *** Certification label on it, then you can get it registered, buy insurance, and get it inspected. If it does not meet these Federal *** conditions, and it does NOT have a certification label that says it meets or exceeds all Federal *** Safety Standards for Motor Vehicle, you are OUT OF LUCK. The only place you will ever be able to ride it is on private property, with the permission of the property owner.

Street Legal?
Motorcycle yes, with valid license plate and inspection sticker
Moped yes, with valid license plate and inspection sticker
Mini Bike, Gas No.
Stand on-Scooter, Gas No.
Engine that goes on a regular pedal bike: No.
Old person hover round chair: no.
Plastic toy with batteries from Toys R Us: No.
Minbike powered by really tightly wound up rubber bands: No.
Pocket bike that uses batteries: No.
Pocket bike that has only pedals and you pedal it to move it: yes.
Bicycle: yes unless posted no bicycles
Skateboard: yes unless local ordinance against them
Rollerblades: yes
Pogo Stick: Not a vehicle, no wheels. law doesnt apply.

heres a rule of thumb. if the local auto tags place wont give you a license plate
for your vehicle, its not street legal in PA.

Now this may sound like a *****... But here's why. A WHOLE BUNCH of kids, especially in Western PA and other rural area, have died as a result of ATV
accidents. This made PA very itchy about things that aren't motorcycles or
cars.

So how do amish buggies get away with being pulled around on the street? They arent human powered, they are horse powered.
Answer: Horses are street legal in PA. Amish buggy operators have a card from the state police that says they may be operated on the street. It also has a list of things they cant do like what roads they cant use, lighting, etc.
You have the rules and they are clear as a sunny day.Anything even an electric wheelchair is illegal for highway use............

The rules are the rules and if kids get killed then theres a valid reason to enforce the law Im sorry to say...............Sounds like you need to ride it out and wait til the heat cools or get involved in politics and try and ratify the law...............Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
In that last crazy long post I covered what can and cant be done on PA streets.
HOWEVER... even though I'm an adult, sometimes I still
knowingly break the law, take my life into my own hands, and ride my mini bikes in the streets of my town. I dont know what the cops will do to minors (anyone under age 18) for riding a minibike in the street. But I do know what can happen to me, and here's what I can be charged with.

1. Fleeing a police officer. This is a felony. If the cop says you saw him and took off, then that counts as fleeing the police. Even if you DIDN'T flee the police, who is the judge going to believe? The cop, or the person caught on a mini bike in the street? There are hundreds of youtube videos of people doing dumb stuff like running from the cops on dirtbikes and ATVs. The judge is going to believe the cop who is telling the court that he had to pursue you before you stopped. By the way... whether you are on a minibike, quad, trike, whatever... and the cops approach you... DON'T RUN. Don't take off. They have ALL day and night to chase after you and after chasing you long enough, they will probably get angry and drive the crown vic over you. If you live to tell about this, you will probably have to pay for the damages that the vic sustained driving over your body and bike.

Now, on to the various ways you can be charged in PA for minibikes or pocket bikes on the street.

2. Whatever offense you committed because you didn't have turn signals or brake lights, etc, it starts here. If you get pulled over by a cop that wants to make an example out of you for fools everywhere, he or she can start writing individual tickets, one right after another, starting with the fact that you violated a turn signal or speed limit or school zone law or whatever. By the way, female police officers, for the most part, are not at all impressed by pocket bikes or mini bikes and so forth. In fact, all the ones I've met, positively hate them. Most of the time, female officers in PA are themselves also moms that are sick of saying "I told you so". Also, many of them view pockets and minis as cripplers and killers of children. Probably rightfully so, I do know of accidents involving pockets that have ended up with the bike and the rider dead in the front wheel well of a pickup truck. That's besides the point, I still have my pockets and minis. Anyhow, if you find yourself being pulled over by a female cop, get ready for more grief than you could ever imagine.
PA Troopers aren't much easier to deal with. They love to write tickets, and lots of them.
On to the other offenses that they can (and many times DO) write you up for:

- Failure to exhibit a valid certificate of inspection (no points, but $)
- Failure to exhibit a valid certificate of emissions inspection (no points, but $)
- Operating an unregistered vehicle (up to 90 days PA Drivers license suspension and lots of money in fines)
- Operating a vehicle without insurance coverage (up to 90 days PA Drivers license suspension and lots LOTS of money in fines)
- Careless driving

Now, another thing they can get you for (and this one is serious...) If you are rip roaring a pocket or modded mini around a neighborhood and some panicky mom called the cops and tells them that she's worried you are going to hit one of her precious children, they can throw something at you called Reckless Driving, which is a criminal charge. It only gets worse from here.

Let me cover school parking lots, shopping centers and parks while i am at it.
State parks: UNLESS the state park has ATV trails (I don't know of any in PA), and you have an APPROVED atv model with quiet exhaust and a spark arrestor AND it has a current, non-expired silver sticker from the PA Department of Conservation of Natural Resources, forget it. Stay away from all state and county parks.
Interesting note: If your ATV has this silver sticker from the DCNR, and a SNOW EMERGENCY (these words "Snow Emergency" must be used) is CURRENTLY IN EFFECT, then for all intents and purposes, your ATV is STREET LEGAL for the duration of the snow emergency, in the area the snow emergency is declared, until the snow emergency is lifted.

School parking lots: Public schools... No. Forget it. Private schools and shopping center parking lots.... Probably not. I'll explain why.
Many, if not MOST private schools, large businesses and shopping centers have given written permission to the local police to enforce, on their private property, Title 75, which is the PA vehicle code that spells out all the things you can't do. The private schools and shopping centers do this so that the police can patrol their property and make the property owner's insurance company happy.

This list is not everything you can be hammered with. I'm sure theres others I've missed. So... if you are going to take a pocket or mini or ATV into the street in PA, know what you are up against. It's dangerous, illegal and can be very very costly. They can impound your pocket or mini and make you pay the bill for the tow truck to take it to the impound yard.

So, you are probably asking "Where can I ride my pocket bike legally in PA???"
It makes no difference if it's under 50cc, or battery powered, or whatever. Unless it is HUMAN POWERED ONLY, you can only ride these things in your own yard, or your friends yard if they OWN THE PROPERTY and say it's okay for you to ride there. Can you ride on a sidewalk? NOPE. The only thing allowed on sidewalks are people and pets. Baby carriages and little red wagons are allowed, but not much more. I've never seen a cop write a ticket for a bicycle operated on a sidewalk, training wheels or not, but within the limits of PA law, it can be done. So your pocket or mini will definitely get you into trouble on a sidewalk.

There are also people that say "I ride my pocket bike in the street all the time, and the cops never say anything, they never bother me." Well, each time that happens, you are very fortunate, because you are totally in the hands of what the cop wants to do. If he or she wants to start writing tickets that equal more ink than War and Peace, they CAN.

Good luck.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
In that last crazy long post I covered what can and cant be done on PA streets.
HOWEVER... even though I'm an adult, sometimes I still
knowingly break the law, take my life into my own hands, and ride my mini bikes in the streets of my town. I dont know what the cops will do to minors (anyone under age 18) for riding a minibike in the street. But I do know what can happen to me, and here's what I can be charged with.

1. Fleeing a police officer. This is a felony. If the cop says you saw him and took off, then that counts as fleeing the police. Even if you DIDN'T flee the police, who is the judge going to believe? The cop, or the person caught on a mini bike in the street? There are hundreds of youtube videos of people doing dumb stuff like running from the cops on dirtbikes and ATVs. The judge is going to believe the cop who is telling the court that he had to pursue you before you stopped. By the way... whether you are on a minibike, quad, trike, whatever... and the cops approach you... DON'T RUN. Don't take off. They have ALL day and night to chase after you and after chasing you long enough, they will probably get angry and drive the crown vic over you. If you live to tell about this, you will probably have to pay for the damages that the vic sustained driving over your body and bike.

Now, on to the various ways you can be charged in PA for minibikes or pocket bikes on the street.

2. Whatever offense you committed because you didn't have turn signals or brake lights, etc, it starts here. If you get pulled over by a cop that wants to make an example out of you for fools everywhere, he or she can start writing individual tickets, one right after another, starting with the fact that you violated a turn signal or speed limit or school zone law or whatever. By the way, female police officers, for the most part, are not at all impressed by pocket bikes or mini bikes and so forth. In fact, all the ones I've met, positively hate them. Most of the time, female officers in PA are themselves also moms that are sick of saying "I told you so". Also, many of them view pockets and minis as cripplers and killers of children. Probably rightfully so, I do know of accidents involving pockets that have ended up with the bike and the rider dead in the front wheel well of a pickup truck. That's besides the point, I still have my pockets and minis. Anyhow, if you find yourself being pulled over by a female cop, get ready for more grief than you could ever imagine.
PA Troopers aren't much easier to deal with. They love to write tickets, and lots of them.
On to the other offenses that they can (and many times DO) write you up for:

- Failure to exhibit a valid certificate of inspection (no points, but $)
- Failure to exhibit a valid certificate of emissions inspection (no points, but $)
- Operating an unregistered vehicle (up to 90 days PA Drivers license suspension and lots of money in fines)
- Operating a vehicle without insurance coverage (up to 90 days PA Drivers license suspension and lots LOTS of money in fines)
- Careless driving

Now, another thing they can get you for (and this one is serious...) If you are rip roaring a pocket or modded mini around a neighborhood and some panicky mom called the cops and tells them that she's worried you are going to hit one of her precious children, they can throw something at you called Reckless Driving, which is a criminal charge. It only gets worse from here.

Let me cover school parking lots, shopping centers and parks while i am at it.
State parks: UNLESS the state park has ATV trails (I don't know of any in PA), and you have an APPROVED atv model with quiet exhaust and a spark arrestor AND it has a current, non-expired silver sticker from the PA Department of Conservation of Natural Resources, forget it. Stay away from all state and county parks.
Interesting note: If your ATV has this silver sticker from the DCNR, and a SNOW EMERGENCY (these words "Snow Emergency" must be used) is CURRENTLY IN EFFECT, then for all intents and purposes, your ATV is STREET LEGAL for the duration of the snow emergency, in the area the snow emergency is declared, until the snow emergency is lifted.

School parking lots: Public schools... No. Forget it. Private schools and shopping center parking lots.... Probably not. I'll explain why.
Many, if not MOST private schools, large businesses and shopping centers have given written permission to the local police to enforce, on their private property, Title 75, which is the PA vehicle code that spells out all the things you can't do. The private schools and shopping centers do this so that the police can patrol their property and make the property owner's insurance company happy.

This list is not everything you can be hammered with. I'm sure theres others I've missed. So... if you are going to take a pocket or mini or ATV into the street in PA, know what you are up against. It's dangerous, illegal and can be very very costly. They can impound your pocket or mini and make you pay the bill for the tow truck to take it to the impound yard.

So, you are probably asking "Where can I ride my pocket bike legally in PA???"
It makes no difference if it's under 50cc, or battery powered, or whatever. Unless it is HUMAN POWERED ONLY, you can only ride these things in your own yard, or your friends yard if they OWN THE PROPERTY and say it's okay for you to ride there. Can you ride on a sidewalk? NOPE. The only thing allowed on sidewalks are people and pets. Baby carriages and little red wagons are allowed, but not much more. I've never seen a cop write a ticket for a bicycle operated on a sidewalk, training wheels or not, but within the limits of PA law, it can be done. So your pocket or mini will definitely get you into trouble on a sidewalk.

There are also people that say "I ride my pocket bike in the street all the time, and the cops never say anything, they never bother me." Well, each time that happens, you are very fortunate, because you are totally in the hands of what the cop wants to do. If he or she wants to start writing tickets that equal more ink than War and Peace, they CAN.

Good luck.
I know what youre saying but the lawmakers are the ones that have the ultimate say and the cops have the option to enforce those laws to generate $$$ for the city/county/state.......money talks louder and is heard easier these days.

Ive been through it all in Pennsylvannia,NY,Maine,Vermont,Connecticut and North Carolina...........Alls I know is its hard to win the battle if youre not on the right team.......Taxpayers are taxpayers no matter who they are so quoting the line "Im a taxpayer" to get your point across only makes them laugh harder because youre indebted to pay taxes for your entire life.........

It gets extreme here in NY once every few years...........The last one involving bikers in NYC is just starting to blow over...............Its a bad situation in lots of places......................

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Every state I am sure has had deaths from ATVs to Pocket Bikes, It's like Vegas, what happens their stays their, no one advertises it. The solid rear axle ATV like my 125cc Coolster, the rear wheels are trying to go around the turn at different speeds and it don't want to turn, have to get the inner wheel in the air and slide around the corner on the outside rear tire. I put real stiff after market shock on the rear to keep the lean down So, you lean right to go left. The DVD I got with it, shows a guy in China riding at 10 MPH standing up and he never turns, just rides down a 2 car wide smooth dirt road. My first question was, why does it have a seat if you have to stand up, lol?? I think they do that to protect them selves from lawsuit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts