Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not so long ago, like around 4 months ago we moved into our new house and I found a "Cat Eye Pocket bike ZX-7R" which was in not so good condition. I've been restoring the pocket bike for 3 months now, and finally its done. The pocket bike starts up good on the fist pull, but when I wan't to start the pocket bike using the electric starter the bike won't start? I got the battery and took it in to autozone for testing and they told me the battery was good and that I didn't need a replacement. When ever I try to start it using the ES I'm able to hear a "dirty buzzing noise" coming from one of the electrical boxes(bigger one) under the seat, I removed the pullstart to see if it would spin or move, but it doesn't, it only moves like 1cm or less. They told me that it was the solenoid, but I can't find it any were. I've tested the starter and it does work. I've also checked the fuse and its good too. Any ideas on how I can fix this problem? On this pocket bike I wasn't able to find a solenoid just 2 electrical boxes one small and one larger one.

The solenoid sounds similar like this:
YouTube - ‪49cc pocketbike motor selenoid buzzing‬‏

Pics:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
What was the voltage reading on the battery, and did they do a "load test" and if they did, how many Amps did they "load" the battery at, and for how long?

Here is a break-down of starter solenoids...

Buzzing or a single click, usually means low battery voltage...

Here is the test, positive and negative leads on the positive and negative terminals, turn the bike on, hit the starter, watch the voltage drop.

If it "Dips" below 9.6 volt, something is wrong.

If you can do this test, and answer my questions I will be right here to step you through a fix.

And in case I miss anything, almost any of our members will be able to chime in with a more correct answer!

Nick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the voltage reading on the battery, and did they do a "load test" and if they did, how many Amps did they "load" the battery at, and for how long?

Here is a break-down of starter solenoids...

Buzzing or a single click, usually means low battery voltage...

Here is the test, positive and negative leads on the positive and negative terminals, turn the bike on, hit the starter, watch the voltage drop.
If it "Dips" below 9.6 volt, something is wrong.

If you can do this test, and answer my questions I will be right here to step you through a fix.

And in case I miss anything, almost any of our members will be able to chime in with a more correct answer!

Nick
For the "Voltage" reading on the battery I have no idea, at autozone they told me they were going to do a "Full Load Test" for one hour, and it passed. Gave me a rating on the battery of 9.2 out of 10.

I did the test and it did drop to 9.4-9.5 volts. :(

Here is some more info I missed, just now (10mins ago) I bought new light bulbs and the left signals don't work, could this be another issue?

Wile the pocket bike was on, I disconnected the battery, just to test the alternator and it works. Also tested the starter and works fine too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
try turning on ur signals while u throttle the bike.

my electric starter doesn't work either and my lights, blinkers and the horn dont work unless i give the bike some throttle after i start it with the pull start, and when i let go of the throttle the lights just turn off.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Another One that sounds like it could need a new battery, or just a good long charge!

The "Alternator" is under-powered compared to the draw of the lights / other electrical, so no matter what, once a month (or better yet) after each ride, hook it up to your Battery Tender Jr, trickle charge at a low amp setting, even over night, (after you can trust the settings / battery)

And it should work better, as well as last for a nice long time, running SLA <--Sealed Lead Acid Batteries to low voltage damages the bettery each and every time.

Now my 2 Optima Yellow Top's don't suffer from this problem, Way to go Optima, AGM <--absorbent glass mat is the Bomb!!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another One that sounds like it could need a new battery, or just a good long charge!

The "Alternator" is under-powered compared to the draw of the lights / other electrical, so no matter what, once a month (or better yet) after each ride, hook it up to your Battery Tender Jr, trickle charge at a low amp setting, even over night, (after you can trust the settings / battery)

And it should work better, as well as last for a nice long time, running SLA <--Sealed Lead Acid Batteries to low voltage damages the bettery each and every time.

Now my 2 Optima Yellow Top's don't suffer from this problem, Way to go Optima, AGM <--absorbent glass mat is the Bomb!!!!!
ill charge it right now lol. do u think charging it overnight wastes a lot of electricity?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
What charger, and what amperage? I would not leave it set at more than 1 amp or even less (over night) Low and SLOW!!! haha.

In the day time while you are sitting in the shop, 1.5 amp or even 2-amp should be fine, maybe even more, just feel the top, bottom, and sides of the battery, a little warm is just fine, really warm is bad, and hot is plain old dangerous!

12v x 1.2amp (charge rate) = almost no power! probably .50 cents for the whole charge!

·
Registered
79 Posts
idk the amperage, the charger doesn't say lol. sounds kinda risky, i'll just charge it tommorow when i can keep an eye on it. don't wanna burn down my house :O

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm gong to leave it charging overnight, if that doesn't work ill get the new battery (Which here were I live they are only $35). Ill start with the battery, and then ill move on the any electrical problems, since they are cheaper than the battery.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
. o O (Or ya could just say to hell with it, rip out all the wiring and the engine, and dump a Briggs&Stratton lawnmower engine in there .... not like several of our members haven't done that already.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
. o O (Or ya could just say to hell with it, rip out all the wiring and the engine, and dump a Briggs&Stratton lawnmower engine in there .... not like several of our members haven't done that already.)
I've though about that, but I don't know what engine will fit perfectly on the pocket bike. I thought about taking my dads $500 leaf blower which is 2 stroke 80cc with electric start, but I don't know if I should do it since I wan't to keep the pocketbike as original as possible.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
I've though about that, but I don't know what engine will fit perfectly on the pocket bike. I thought about taking my dads $500 leaf blower which is 2 stroke 80cc with electric start, but I don't know if I should do it since I wan't to keep the pocketbike as original as possible.
*laffs* "as original as possible"????? You're in the wrong place, dude! I doubt there's anyone on here that hasn't done at least one major upgrade to their bike. Some of us would be hard-pressed to even find the original bike under all the mods that have been done to them. (Just teasing ya, bro ... don't take it personal. Nothing wrong with wanting to keep the bike more-or-less stock, but sooner or later, you're gonna feel the need for speed ....)

Cateyes are pretty versatile frames. People have dumped all kinds of different engines into them with little to no frame modification at all. Some of the more popular swaps would be scooter engines, the Honda clone or B&S engines from old-school minibikes and lawnmowers, and I think there's someone on here shoehorned a 110cc with a 4-speed underneath the fairings. Mainly, you have to just fab up some custom mounts for the engine, and fool around with the chains. Not sure if the leafblower motor would fit, or how you would run the clutch/chain, but it's a thought .... although Daddy might be kinda bent at you if you did ... :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*laffs* "as original as possible"????? You're in the wrong place, dude! I doubt there's anyone on here that hasn't done at least one major upgrade to their bike. Some of us would be hard-pressed to even find the original bike under all the mods that have been done to them. (Just teasing ya, bro ... don't take it personal. Nothing wrong with wanting to keep the bike more-or-less stock, but sooner or later, you're gonna feel the need for speed ....)

Cateyes are pretty versatile frames. People have dumped all kinds of different engines into them with little to no frame modification at all. Some of the more popular swaps would be scooter engines, the Honda clone or B&S engines from old-school minibikes and lawnmowers, and I think there's someone on here shoehorned a 110cc with a 4-speed underneath the fairings. Mainly, you have to just fab up some custom mounts for the engine, and fool around with the chains. Not sure if the leafblower motor would fit, or how you would run the clutch/chain, but it's a thought .... although Daddy might be kinda bent at you if you did ... :D
Well honestly the original 49cc I've got it to 47mph, but more speed does sound awesome! I have a "Ricardo Dirt bike" which has a cracked frame and the engine (130cc 4 stroke auto trani) might do the trick.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
*rolls his eyes* So much for keeping the bike "as close to original as possible," huh .....? I knew I shouldna said anything .....

If and when you decide to do the swap, though, make sure you have things welded up good and solid, and add reinforcing everywhere you can. There have been several caes where too powerful an engine has twisted a frame like a pretzel (i.e., a Cag with a Polini w/c engine - sheared the entire front end off the bike ... but it was a screamer while it lasted!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok finally got my new 12V(9Ah) battery, placed it on the pocketbike with HUGE hopes that it would work and it did not.... :(. With the new battery the solenoid does sound louder but it still doesn't star. I checked all the wires one by one, to make sure they were not burned and to make sure the ground was set correctly, and I also ended up checking all the buttons and switches and nothing was wrong. I removed the battery and got the charger. Using the charger as a battery, I connected the charger to were the battery connections go, and I connected the charger to the wall(since the charger provides 12V continuous without voltage drop) With the charger as the battery the solenoid sounded more but it still didn't start(although with the new batt, and charger as the batt) the lights and horn worked perfectly.

I'm getting extremely frustrated(I'm getting ready to throw the bike away since I broke the pullstart on accident LOL not a joke!) Anyways before I order anymore items, should I order the new solenoid(aka electrical box)?

And what is the difference between the electrical box with 3 wires? Since mine has 4 I wan't to make sure it still works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*rolls his eyes* So much for keeping the bike "as close to original as possible," huh .....? I knew I shouldna said anything .....

If and when you decide to do the swap, though, make sure you have things welded up good and solid, and add reinforcing everywhere you can. There have been several caes where too powerful an engine has twisted a frame like a pretzel (i.e., a Cag with a Polini w/c engine - sheared the entire front end off the bike ... but it was a screamer while it lasted!)

I got paid today :). So can someone please give me ALL the information for performance kits or parts that will fit for my cateye pocket bike. Also Ive been looking for larger engines that will fit good on the pocketbike, but so far every engine over 100cc seems too large. I've looked at the 80cc bicycle engines, I'm just interested on that engine because of the torque is has, any suggestions?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I got paid today :). So can someone please give me ALL the information for performance kits or parts that will fit for my cateye pocket bike. Also Ive been looking for larger engines that will fit good on the pocketbike, but so far every engine over 100cc seems too large. I've looked at the 80cc bicycle engines, I'm just interested on that engine because of the torque is has, any suggestions?
Take some Continuity tests on the switch, take some voltage drop readings on the Wires.

Then tell me the numbers, and i WILL be happy to help you some more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know wat it is cause my buddy had the same problem it is the electric starter gear it is toast so that is ur problem if it only moves a cm or less and makes any noise it is ur starter gear

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
i know wat it is cause my buddy had the same problem it is the electric starter gear it is toast so that is ur problem if it only moves a cm or less and makes any noise it is ur starter gear
hmmm, I think it Could be something else, but if you dudez are sure, then I say Go For It!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Were is the starter gear on my cateye?, as far as a know the starter has no gears only a shaft that's horizontal and connects to the main one in the engine.

I'm like this >>:confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts