Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pocket quad has been sitting for about two weeks. When I retuned back to it I drained the carb but it still wouldnt start ! Any suggestions ?!?!?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Check the sparkplug and make sure its sparking or in a wet or dry condition.......Also check for a kinked fuelline

If its wet but still sparking replace the plug but evacuate the jug a few times by pulling the rope a few times before installing sparkplug to avoid refouling the new plug

If wet and not sparking,,check the killswitch for a short,,replace the sparkplug and clean any rust from the flywheel if any

If its dry and not getting any fuel do the petcock mod and clean out the carb of any foreign trash in the bowl,,mainjet and needle/seat............

If the quad your having troubles with is a brand new 2011 model I suggest you buy a new carb,,fueltank and exhaust...Theyre the 3 biggest problems on the newest models.........

Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanx CAM2, i got it started but now it wont stay on....It starts but shuts off a second or 2 later ?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Check the fuel supply, like maybe the fuel filter, or a kink in the fuel line, or possibly even the float is the bottom (Bowl) of the carburetor could be set wrong...

The fact that it starts at all means there is some fuel, some spark, and some compression...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea ill give that a try because its not the spark plug, it starts up for a few seconds the turns off when I pull the trottle....I wouldnt understand how it would be the float because it was riding perfect a few weeks ago but then it sat for a few weeks, now this :?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Ok thanx CAM2, i got it started but now it wont stay on....It starts but shuts off a second or 2 later ?
I had a few bikes that would start and idle then the spark would blow out when the throttle wasnt opened aswell as ones that displayed the same symptoms as your describing that turned out was a faulty sparkplug related problem both times............

try starting the bike...after it stuts off pull the plug to see if its wet or dry......That will tell you what direction to look for the fix..............

Have you checked the flywheel and pickup coil for rust and proper airgap?

Do you wash your quad or ride in muddy terrain?

If you could make a vid of the problem it would help nail the problem down faster..............

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well yea i pulled the spark plug and it was wet...so i dried it off and it still did the same thing. So will i need a new spark plug just because it got wet ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so my new spark plug wont even give it a spark so i put my old spark plug in and flipped the coil connecter around and it started right up ? rode for about 20 minutes then tried starting it back up and it didnt ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts