Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got a x2 pocket bike without a pull starter( i ordered 1 on ebay, its gonna come on saturday) but right now i hook up jumper cables from my dads car into my pocket bike pull starter(the frame(metal)) and in the video on youtube it starts in 1 second i have to hold it for like 30 seconds and then it barely starts? any ideas? heres the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ZdkihjwuM

:confused::confused:

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
so i got a x2 pocket bike without a pull starter( i ordered 1 on ebay, its gonna come on saturday) but right now i hook up jumper cables from my dads car into my pocket bike pull starter(the frame(metal)) and in the video on youtube it starts in 1 second i have to hold it for like 30 seconds and then it barely starts? any ideas? heres the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ZdkihjwuM

:confused::confused:
His bike is in tune and possibly pre-started/warmed for the vid.....My guess in your situation would be the prior owner of your bike used a car battery to crank it aswell and weakened the starter severely...The starters are only rated for 4-6.5 amps maximum...car batteries are between 35 and 75 amps depending on vehicle type...

Thats way too much input power and that excessive juice burns up and werakens the starter over time to where it takes a RYOBI / DeWalt or RIGID18volt cordless tool battery to get it cranking properly before the starter/generator quits altogether

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His bike is in tune and possibly pre-started/warmed for the vid.....My guess in your situation would be the prior owner of your bike used a car battery to crank it aswell and weakened the starter severely...The starters are only rated for 4-6.5 amps maximum...car batteries are between 35 and 75 amps depending on vehicle type...

Thats way too much input power and that excessive juice burns up and werakens the starter over time to where it takes a RYOBI / DeWalt or RIGID18volt cordless tool battery to get it cranking properly before the starter/generator quits altogether
oooh ok thanks! how would I be able to fix it then?

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
H/F Tools has a parking lot sale this weekend, $2 for a cheap meter, I have one I paid $5, it works great. They just had a dremel kit there I paid $24, and got a coupon online for $17.99, and real cheap Metric tap and die set. That's the 3 first tools you need most when you start into these bikes and some regular hand tools. Seen a real small file set w/ handles for $7 or so, with that and some wet & dry sandpaper you can do so much.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
oooh ok thanks! how would I be able to fix it then?
Tune the carb and buy a new electric starter/generator combo with a new battery...Both will run ya around $100-120.00 combined........ Then youre gonna have to rewire your bike so can use it seeings you cant get the bike to crank over the conventional way......

Id strip the bike of all gauges,,switches,,battery and wiring then gut the e-starter..Turn the starter pushbutton into a killswitch,,tune the engine in and simply use the pullstarter when you get it and install it....

The pullstarter bolts are M5 0.8 x 13mm...Youll need 4 of them.......

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
If you want to go faster you have to lose the extra weight, and get some real hp. On a 38 to 70lb bike every pound you lose makes a big differance, like taking hundreds of pounds off your car or truck.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
If you can I woud take the whole starter housing off so you can see the 4 brushes on the Arm. I think 2 for starting the bike and 2 to charge the battery, but CAM2 will know. I have a whole brand new, in a box Starter/Generator complete I took off the new engine I modded into the Red Head Hot Rod engine,lol. It's easy to pull start them.

Attachments

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
If you can I woud take the whole starter housing off so you can see the 4 brushes on the Arm. I think 2 for starting the bike and 2 to charge the battery, but CAM2 will know. I have a whole brand new, in a box Starter/Generator complete I took off the new engine I modded into the Red Head Hot Rod engine,lol. It's easy to pull start them.
EPR..............If Im not mistaken he ran a thread saying he already purchaased a battery.......

I already know how this is gonna end......hes gonna hook up the battery and ask either why the e-start will not work still or better yet why does the e-starter not have enough power to crank the engine over,,,,I think in the last 2-3 years Ive seen this same problem repeat itself over and over about 3 dozen times already..........LOL

Heres the real kicker,,,after they admit defeat and strip the bike they have money into a battery or batt and e-starter that could of went into mods to make it faster.......

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Amen, that junk is just something else to go wrong and waste your money. $80 can do slot of mods if you can do them yourself. My new 2wk old H/F Tools dremel has already more than paid me back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.