Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 49cc engine on my mini chopper and want to convert it to an electric start. I have the starter but can't find the bolt needed to mount the starter to the engine. The one from the pull starter is too short and when I searched online it says the part is no longer available. If anyone has any information a to what size I'd need I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
It's called a shank bolt and is no longer available you have to understand that a lot of these bikes are Chinese and the Chinese never made parts for them they just sold the bikes as complete people would buy bikes and then disassemble them categorize the parts and open up shops high shipping prices and low interest in fixing things has made doing business in this way not profitable and all the shops have now gone out of business...

The other thing is those bikes were a pep boys exclusive and discontinued in 2005.

People will have a dead battery or a electric starter that has failed and a broken pull starter and for a last ditched effort to get it started they use a drill with a socket on it and twist off the shank bolt and they have used them all up :-( the only way to get one now is by a new engine that has electric with pull start or off of a parts bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's called a shank bolt and is no longer available you have to understand that a lot of these bikes are Chinese and the Chinese never made parts for them they just sold the bikes as complete people would buy bikes and then disassemble them categorize the parts and open up shops high shipping prices and low interest in fixing things has made doing business in this way not profitable and all the shops have now gone out of business...

The other thing is those bikes were a pep boys exclusive and discontinued in 2005.

People will have a dead battery or a electric starter that has failed and a broken pull starter and for a last ditched effort to get it started they use a drill with a socket on it and twist off the shank bolt and they have used them all up :-( the only way to get one now is by a new engine that has electric with pull start or off of a parts bike.
That's what I thought. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.
I did think about buying a new motor but it's not worth it. I'll just use the pull start and have a spare recoil on hand.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used to have an old X1 or X2. I needed that same bolt to hold the pullstart engine pawl to the starter Armature. I went to the hardware store and bought about 4 different sized bolts I thought would fit, I needed at least a few more but I ended up finding one that worked and cut the head off, it really needs a stud but a chopped bolt works.
You can find one, take your best guess on the thread and hit up Ace hardware or your local hardware store. Cheaper than a new engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have an old X1 or X2. I needed that same bolt to hold the pullstart engine pawl to the starter Armature. I went to the hardware store and bought about 4 different sized bolts I thought would fit, I needed at least a few more but I ended up finding one that worked and cut the head off, it really needs a stud but a chopped bolt works.
You can find one, take your best guess on the thread and hit up Ace hardware or your local hardware store. Cheaper than a new engine.
Thanks for the information That's exactly what I did. A website that used to sell the part showed the dimensions so I went to Menards and got several bolts. According to the specs. it was a M6 x 1.00 x 63MM. I couldn't find the exact length so I bought two a bit longer (70mm) along with a short piece of threaded rod. If the specs. are correct I should be able to get it to work. If not I'll continue using the pull starter and order a spare recoil to have on hand just in case.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes!!! This is just hot roddin except instead of 50's cars we are modifying pocket bikes. Way to go!! Glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, what was the size of that bolt? Maybe somebody else might need that info. I know I might. I have an old piston port laying around and I believe it has the starter and missing the bolt

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Keep in mind there are two different size starters a long and a short one there is also two different starters one spins clockwise and the other one spins counterclockwise one is for the output side on the read inducted engine and the other one is for the Piston ported engine

·
Registered
410 Posts
Really??? I either never saw both or never paid attention. I only thought of the one. Bolt length won't matter nowadays because you can't buy an original and you might as well buy one that's longer so you can cut it to fit your application.
But interesting nonetheless. Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
There is an electric starter for a Cag, $80 think they use them on newer small ATVs which would be hard to rope start. I saw one for sale a few years ago somewhere. They mount to the clutch housing. Kitty is right make sure you get the right parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, what was the size of that bolt? Maybe somebody else might need that info. I know I might. I have an old piston port laying around and I believe it has the starter and missing the bolt
It's not going to work. When I took it apart it was different than I thought it would be. I guess these motors are all different. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
We tried to warn you that they are all different internally even though they might look the same on the outside the transmissions are all different as well with different gear ratios and some of them even spin in the other direction please upload some pictures of the two engines that you have and we will do the best we can to further assist you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Guess I got lucky with mine. I just needed to get the pawl attached electric starter so I can attack my pull start. The electric starter was toast. I always hated those electric starters

·
Registered
262 Posts
An electric start housing is $50 for piston port, plus starter housing and pawl. Is it that hard pull start?? It ads pounds to your bike, the big magnets slow your engine, they are junk and don't last long anyway. Are the 4 brushes on the out side or behind the unit where it mounts?? I keep a brake light only, the lights are not legal, not bright enough, all they do is slow you down. every pound you keep is like adding 100 lbs to you car and go drag race it, see the difference in time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts