Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put after market air filter on but it wont fit :(

The swing arm is in the way :( any ideas? i guess im bummed about getting a bigger carb too

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about some type of Flexible tubing, or pipe to do a 90 degree bend cold air intake style?
Ok cool. so will be ok with the extra piping? i just ported a spare carb i had.

going fit it tomorow but read that it will make the engine run lean. how do i no if my engine is running lean?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts

going fit it tomorow but read that it will make the engine run lean. how do i no if my engine is running lean?
Forget all that jazz! the jetting is usually all out of whack anyway! just do plug chops every now and then, I mean it's pretty easy to pull the plug out...

As long as the plug looks good, and the fuel/mix is "in there" and the bike is running good, nothing else (except Brakes) matters!

·
Banned
21,744 Posts

Unless you do mods that will enhance the compression your engine will run lean after modding the carb bigger....once you open up the venturi you will lose some velocity......That loss in velocity will suck less fuel up through the mainjet tube........the stock cag carbs dont have atomizers or a/f adjust screws so your at the mercy of the condition of the running engine to pull fuel up and out of the bowl....................

After modding the stock carb on my h/f cag I had to open up the mainjet a teeny tiny bit to compensate for the extra air and lesser velocity.............

For your airfilter fitting problem you need a stock carb velocity stack to screw it to...........................

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you do mods that will enhance the compression your engine will run lean after modding the carb bigger....once you open up the venturi you will lose some velocity......That loss in velocity will suck less fuel up through the mainjet tube........the stock cag carbs dont have atomizers or a/f adjust screws so your at the mercy of the condition of the running engine to pull fuel up and out of the bowl....................

After modding the stock carb on my h/f cag I had to open up the mainjet a teeny tiny bit to compensate for the extra air and lesser velocity.............

For your airfilter fitting problem you need a stock carb velocity stack to screw it to...........................
Thanks, was it worth doing the mod??? can i just stick a bigger jet it? if so what size jet?

thanks again

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forget all that jazz! the jetting is usually all out of whack anyway! just do plug chops every now and then, I mean it's pretty easy to pull the plug out...

As long as the plug looks good, and the fuel/mix is "in there" and the bike is running good, nothing else (except Brakes) matters!
whats a plug chop?? sorry i am learning . brakes are alwaysa good thing :D

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Thanks, was it worth doing the mod??? can i just stick a bigger jet it? if so what size jet?

thanks again
The mod is definately worth it as far as gaining performance.............The stock jet is 64........If you can get a jetpack assortment with a 65 /66 mainjet in it plus a few higher ones youll be ok but Im pretty sure the jetpack starts at 68 which may or may not work out for you if still using the stock metal reeds depending on humidity,,temps and altitude.....................Modding the reedstop and composite reeds will be marginal on the 68 but better matched.........

I just use a safety pin with moderate pressure to reshape them larger when I dont have jets or feel like waiting..............

The way youll know your engine is running lean is when it first starts up it will run with a higher idle than normal and will run hotter than normal aswell as die when full throttled and run like its over-revving coming off the throttle..........

The plug chop has to be done in all 3 throttle ranges to know if the carb is jetted 100% but with the stock cag carb it can be done at 1/4 throttle and full................Just ride it around for 10-15 minutes in the slow 1/4 throttle range,,get it rolling straight at 1/4 throttle after 10-15 minutes and with the throttle still stuck open at 1/4 throttle hit the kilswitch...........let cool then pull the plug to read

You do the same for full throttle plug chop except it should only ntake 5-10 minutes max to do.........................Good luck..........

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mod is definately worth it as far as gaining performance.............The stock jet is 64........If you can get a jetpack assortment with a 65 /66 mainjet in it plus a few higher ones youll be ok but Im pretty sure the jetpack starts at 68 which may or may not work out for you if still using the stock metal reeds depending on humidity,,temps and altitude.....................Modding the reedstop and composite reeds will be marginal on the 68 but better matched.........

I just use a safety pin with moderate pressure to reshape them larger when I dont have jets or feel like waiting..............

The way youll know your engine is running lean is when it first starts up it will run with a higher idle than normal and will run hotter than normal aswell as die when full throttled and run like its over-revving coming off the throttle..........

The plug chop has to be done in all 3 throttle ranges to know if the carb is jetted 100% but with the stock cag carb it can be done at 1/4 throttle and full................Just ride it around for 10-15 minutes in the slow 1/4 throttle range,,get it rolling straight at 1/4 throttle after 10-15 minutes and with the throttle still stuck open at 1/4 throttle hit the kilswitch...........let cool then pull the plug to read

You do the same for full throttle plug chop except it should only ntake 5-10 minutes max to do.........................Good luck..........
Thanks cam2 i really am learning then im hoping i can help people like you.

what does the reedstop and composite reeds involve. i just dont my jetcock mod . trying doing others

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Get a piece of nylon panty hose and a rubber band, stretch a small piece over the front of the carb and put the rubber band around it, poormans air filter, but that works pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts