Pocketbike Forum banner

Quality of parts.

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MrKitty 
#1 ·
Is it just me or has the quality of the chinese parts dropped even lower than its already low levels. I've been away from the hobby for 10 years and all the bits now seem so Mickley mouse its unreal. I bought 4 bellhousings with 3rd bearing supports for my various vehicles. Only 1 was anywhere true. Two ripped themselves apart within 45mins of riding.
My brother and his mate both bought new 49cc bikes whilst the other 5 of us bought second hand ebay jobs. The new bikes are terrible. Geometry seems way off. All the parts seem of a cheaper quality than the bikes from early to mid 2000's. One would assume they would of refined these parts but it seems they've gone the other way. Am I alone in thinking this? Even the handlebars seem to be thinner gauge material. Is it the same in the states?

Max

#2 ·
I think you are correct. The pull start we destroyed this weekend was of thinner cast and the plastic wheel inside was very brittle compared to the stock one.

The pipe I got a couple weeks ago was of shoddy weld and did not have the removable muffler with cotter pin, just welded, nor any packing, nor a stinger like the one pictured in the sale description, and so cannot be serviced so it's going back.

The petcock from two weeks ago has rivets instead of screws so you cannot remove the innards and clean or service it without drilling out the rivets and tapping it for screws. This one already leaks... it's going back as well.

The piston I ordered had the circular cuts for transfer port flow on both sides of the wrist pin hole in the sales description picture. The one I got was not cut as such, just standard, I'm debating sending it back, though it's not too hard to remedy.

I think there was something else I was griping about, but can't recall..

#3 · (Edited)
Basically yes everything has gotten cheaper the other problem is a lot of this stuff is no longer manufactured so sellers are getting to the end of what they have left and have resorted to selling somewhat defective parts.

The clean air act has made it so that selling new two stroke none EPA certified rideable vehicles in the US is now illegal so there's a huge influx of two-stroke engines on the internet bidding sites as manufacturers take the two-stroke engines off and mount the four-stroke Honda gx35 clone on 😭

#4 ·
That would explain a lot. Cant seem to find performance exhausts anywhere. I'm worried when the pads wear out on the lucky 7 I won't be able to replace them as they are different to normal cag. Grind them down I guess. Its a real shame. Better snap up any bits now before they all disappear.

#7 ·
China is in a bad recession. They are most likely cutting corners trying to stay afloat. I bought a kawasaki klx 110 this summer to replace my chinese pocket rocket as well as put new parts on mJapan. Yamaha yz250. Japan's quality is there and the parts that they skimp out on on the smaller bikes can easily be replaced with better aftermarket made in USA or japan.

#8 ·
Just ordered another 3rd bearing support bellhousing and another with a wonky pinion. Ik getting so frustrated with these things I think I will just go back to using the standard pinions and work out extending the chain guard.
Does anybody know a trick to get the pinion aligned, can I oversize the mounting holes or something? Chinese junk, lol.

#9 ·
Man that sucks... parts are starting to get more and more scarce every day and I'm sure sellers are getting down to the bottom of the barrel to the point where they're starting to sell defective parts or even stuff that's been returned...

You could try oblonging out the holes so the bearing support will line up correctly then put JB weld in The oblong holes and re drill them in the right spot so it can't walk back to where it lines up bad

you could always just JB weld it together and if you do have to get it apart you could try heating it up with a plumbing torch but more than likely after doing the JB welding it would become a disposable clutch Bell assembly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.