Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, and im sorry for creating another noob thread, but i have alot of questions/rumors that need to be answered/proven false, as well as choosing my first pocketbike.

First of all, How much do pocket bikes last? I have heard you can get at most 100 miles of your pocketbike, is that true? (i certainly hope not). And Do you think its possible to commute 2 hours to my school and 2 hours back to my house on a pocket bike? ( how awesome would that be :D)

For my first pocket bike, my budget is about $250. I was first planning to get an MX-3 from usapocketbikes.com( i heard mpr sucks) but if there is a better site, tell me. And how much does is the mx-3 MPG?

However, I researched electric pocket bikes, and i noticed that some gassers get smoked by razor pocket bikes, and since i can get it for $200 im really leaning on the razor. Any modifications that i can use for it? and can it run 2 miles to my school and 2 miles back?
(15 mph is kinda too slow for me)

Thanks for reading for my noobish blabbering!

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Wow, well, lets get going, and if you need more info, just ask, we LOVE Newbies around here! <----I will back-hand (digitally) anyone who is mean to you!

Do you mean how many (MPG) Miles Per Gallon Does a pocket bike get?
If so, a 50cc gas two stroke should get around 50-70 miles per gallon, but the gas tanks are not even 1 gallon, and are usually all different sizes, so a mileage quote will come down to the bike, the carb, the jetting, the rider, and the fuel tank size. But, buying a pocketbike to ride back and forth to school is only a good idea, if you want the police to take your bike from you.

Sorry, I don't know much about the standard Cag's (entry level air cooled China Bikes)

That would have to be one sick electric bike to keep up with my 8hp (maybe more) water cooled C1 <---Rocket Ship!

But, I would go electric, NO NOISE!!!!! pretty much any of the "Pocketbikes" (gas powered) are too loud to be ridden around houses without making the whole neighborhood mad, and mad neighbors often call the police!

Good Luck, pick a good one, find a parking lot (empty one) and have fun riding around the lot, pocketbikes (most of them) have no reason to be ridden on the road. <----in America!

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Honestly, no matter what you read, someone is going to say everyone sucks. To be totally fair to MPR, they used to be under different management, and that's where the bad rep came from. The new management seems to be a lot better.

I notice you said some gassers get smoked by electrics. Yes, there are some that will beat a standard gas pocketbike, but those are few and far between, and have usually had a LOT of work done to them. I don't think I've seen the stock electric pb yet that has broken a 40mph mark ...

Commuting on a pb ... NOT a good idea. As you may have already noticed, pb's are pretty small, and drivers may have a difficult time seeing them over the hoods of their vehicles. Plus, add to the fact that the smaller pb's such as the Razor, the MX-3 and the Cag/Daytona are not able to be registered as street-legal vehicles (no lights, two-stroke smog rules, seat height under minimum, no turn signals, among other reasons), and you're looking at a good-sized ticket and a possible impound of the bike. My advice: don't do it.

Now, as for how long the bikes last, it all depends on how you take care of them. If all you do is crank the starter and beat on the bike as hard as you can, then no, it's not going to last very long. If you do proper maintenance, such as replacing all the cheap bolts that come with the bike with higher-quality stainless or hardened bolts, that will make the bike more reliable and thus last longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, thanks alot for the info. Usually, in any forum ive been to ( and i have been into ALOT) they usually scorn all the newbies. haha.
But i guess im going with electric, but No way im keeping it stock XD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, Gas vs Electric pbs are starting to sound EXACTLY like the flame wars that occured between gas and nitro in RC racing. It just depends on how you mod it.:D

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Well, we give the newbies a hard time here, too ... we just do it so that they can get a laugh instead of trying to run them off.

If you know what you're doing on the electrics, they can be modded a lot. I think there's a couple of guys over in the Electric section that have actually modded bikes to run two motors and four batteries (regular riding and overdrive!) It's been a while since I've been over there, so I can't tell you which thread it was .... As a suggetion, I would pick a bike that you are interested in, and then search for all of the threads that have the name/model of your bike in the title (like Razor or MX650). It will be a LOT of reading, but you will get a lot of useful information, too.

As nick said, wires and wattage are good for neighborhood cruises and not annoying the neighbors, but from a gas-and-grease man's point of view, there just ain't nothing like two-stroke smoke .... For their size, two-strokers are pretty powerful little beasts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts