Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright alright alright! The final piece to my project is on order, 48v 20ah lithium ion battery pack 30a continuous discharge 60a max!

For those who don't know, my project/daily driver is a razor mx500 upgraded to a 36v 800w brush motor, modded oem 36v speed controller (speed limiter bypass) and was running 3 12v 18ah sla batteries until recently when i decided to see what overvolting was all about. I ghetto rigged a 4th 12v 12ah (i know, wrong to mix ah like this but shh) to the handlebars and overvolted the system and holy eff what a difference! Range is still terrible but this thing tops out around 28mph and i can pop a wheelie even with my 185lbs and an additional metric ton of weight from the crap sla batteries... i was thoroughly impressed! That's what sealed the deal with this lithium ion battery pack!

Now that it's on order it should be here by no later than a week and if my calculations are correct I should have a 20 mile range minimum along with better acceleration and since the pack weighs under 9lbs I'll be shaving off like 40lbs of battery weight... which is good, nobody likes added weight amirite? Anyways I'll keep you guys updated with the final results!

So stoked!!!馃榿

Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
I am definitely digging it. So you left you are modified 36 volt controller when you added the fourth battery?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am definitely digging it. So you left you are modified 36 volt controller when you added the fourth battery?
Correct, I'm still running my modified stock 36v speed controller... I even did a little test to see how effective the speed limiter bypass was. I removed my codder pin bridge piece and tried the 36v speed controller on 48v and then soldered it back in place and ran 48v through it and it's a noticeable difference in acceleration and top speed (especially torque) with 48v pumped through it with the bypass.

Kinda makes me wonder... I assume most of the 48v speed controllers are equipped with a similar resistance type speed controller and if so this mod could work to add even more pep to their step! Of course I could be wrong... I've yet to see the innards of anything but the factory razor 24v and 36v speed controllers lol.

Super Moderator
Correct, I'm still running my modified stock 36v speed controller... I even did a little test to see how effective the speed limiter bypass was. I removed my codder pin bridge piece and tried the 36v speed controller on 48v and then soldered it back in place and ran 48v through it and it's a noticeable difference in acceleration and top speed (especially torque) with 48v pumped through it with the bypass.

Kinda makes me wonder... I assume most of the 48v speed controllers are equipped with a similar resistance type speed controller and if so this mod could work to add even more pep to their step! Of course I could be wrong... I've yet to see the innards of anything but the factory razor 24v and 36v speed controllers lol.
Basically that modification is bypassing the MOSFET and is wiring it directly to the motor

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll just leave this here... a pic of the daily driver in workhorse mode, set up for hauling trash across the complex to the dumpsters, hitting the grocery store (that's the black totes job lol) or getting things that are too big to fit in a backpack. You can see my ghetto 4th battery chillin on the front there and my little led headlight lol

Basically that modification is bypassing the MOSFET and is wiring it directly to the motor
Yeah! I couldn't for the life of me remember that mosfet bit lol... but exactly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 48v controllers have bigger innards to run more volts. Except those damn connectors. LOL
Good point, I suppose there's not much need for bypassing the mosfet if the controller is already capable of handling more oomph.

And screw connectors... just solder everything! 馃槀

Registered
For sure. But it sounds like you hit the jackpot and you didn't have to upgrade to a 48 volt controller because you modified the 36 volt controller and can run 48 volts, I would love to see how long it goes!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For sure. But it sounds like you hit the jackpot and you didn't have to upgrade to a 48 volt controller because you modified the 36 volt controller and can run 48 volts, I would love to see how long it goes!
Hopefully a good long time! So far I haven't noticed any issue regarding heat build up in the controller whatsoever and the motor has only gotten warm at best so I think I'll be alright!

Registered
Xt60's are great. An old Automotive trick is to use Dielectric grease in the connectors. Just a little bit and helps to keep them cool

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Xt60's are great. An old Automotive trick is to use Dielectric grease in the connectors. Just a little bit and helps to keep them cool
Is indeed good stuff!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ugh this wait for my battery pack is literally killing me! I could've literally driven across the country and picked it up in person in the amount of time it's taking to get here!

Any day now though... aaaaany daaaaay...

Super Moderator
Ugh this wait for my battery pack is literally killing me! I could've literally driven across the country and picked it up in person in the amount of time it's taking to get here!

Any day now though... aaaaany daaaaay...
Because batteries are considered a hazardous shipment you have to wait for the hazardous shipment truck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh stupid regulations cramping my style by making me wait... safety is for wimps! 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It came! It finally came! My 48v 20ah lithium ion battery pack is installed and my god what a difference... it actually wheelies! There's zero voltage drop upon acceleration like the sla garbage, the bike accelerates like a bike should... Best of all I can actually carry the bike up the stairs without a fork lift!

Super Moderator
View attachment 160608 View attachment 160609 It came! It finally came! My 48v 20ah lithium ion battery pack is installed and my god what a difference... it actually wheelies! There's zero voltage drop upon acceleration like the sla garbage, the bike accelerates like a bike should... Best of all I can actually carry the bike up the stairs without a fork lift!
And now you understand why I tell people that the lithium ion battery should be the very first upgrade 馃槈馃檪馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And now you understand why I tell people that the lithium ion battery should be the very first upgrade 馃槈馃檪馃槅
Absolutely! In fact my neighbor picked up a sx500 recently for his kid and I let him try mine today... needless to say he's hooked now lol! I can't believe what a totally different beast this thing is now, finally behaves like a dirt bike!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That battery is huge! Nice install. I will only do lithium on my bikes. Sla's on quick flips.
Yeah it just barely fit in there lol! And yeah lithium ion is the way to go 1000% for anything driven by an electric motor, I can't believe how differently it behaves all from a battery pack! This thing actually rips now, to a level where I'm pretty certain I could smoke my buddies Honda big red atc off the line. Or at least be right with him!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts