Pocketbike Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
742 Posts
Nice. Do you have a voltage readout??
36v packs cannot drop below 30v underload. Fresh charge and it is almost 42v, full throttle off the line nets a drop down to 36-37v. When standing volts is at 36, about 2/3 throttle is netting 31.5v, they get shaky at 31v. Look up your specs for your battery, find the lowest it can hit without damage. A lot of people don't understand this and why many packs prematurely die.
Similar to lipos but not exactly the same.

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nice. Do you have a voltage readout??
36v packs cannot drop below 30v underload. Fresh charge and it is almost 42v, full throttle off the line nets a drop down to 36-37v. When standing volts is at 36, about 2/3 throttle is netting 31.5v, they get shaky at 31v. Look up your specs for your battery, find the lowest it can hit without damage. A lot of people don't understand this and why many packs prematurely die.
Similar to lipos but not exactly the same.
It's a 48v and comes with a built in battery level indicator, but I have no intention of running it much below 25% just to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Now get yourself a nice 48volt fan and figure out how to get it blowing across the speed controller to keep it cool so it can last you!

Go with the Mechatronics GI238E48B it is very efficient and only uses .33 amps

Get yourself 2 Fan grills and put one on the front and the back to protect the blades as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now get yourself a nice 48volt fan and figure out how to get it blowing across the speed controller to keep it cool so it can last you!

Go with the Mechatronics GI238E48B it is very efficient and only uses .33 amps
I like where your head is at! Maybe I can scoop one that lights up bright red, I could use it like a custom LED underglow!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Went for a ride around the city and ended up at the waterfront today, in total put about 10 miles on it and still had half my battery left... I f***in love this thing!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Dude that's awesome! My buddy was down to 35 volts on his 36 volt battery pack and thought it died. I looked it over and it turned out to be the temporary wire harness we made for it. I made a new wiring harness because the battery after he charged it was at 42 volts. So after I fixed the harness it was up and running again and I took it for a ride. That is one heck of a bike. 27 mph, 24v 500w running 36v with stock gearing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Dude that's awesome! My buddy was down to 35 volts on his 36 volt battery pack and thought it died. I looked it over and it turned out to be the temporary wire harness we made for it. I made a new wiring harness because the battery after he charged it was at 42 volts. So after I fixed the harness it was up and running again and I took it for a ride. That is one heck of a bike. 27 mph, 24v 500w running 36v with stock gearing.
Sick! I went by one of those radar signs that tell you your speed today and I clocked 25 going up a slight incline so I'm probably around the same area top speed wise.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey do lithium ion batteries have a memory? Like should I be running them low before charging them up or what? I don't want to screw up my investment here...

·
Registered
742 Posts
No but they have a certain amount of charge cycles before they wear out. So I run mine low as does my buddy, that way I'm not charging it all the time and wasting charge cycles

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good to know! Ill try to stick to one a day charge cycles then

·
Registered
742 Posts
As long as you have a BMS you should be protected from the voltage going too low. Some say as low as 3.0v per cell. 4.2v being fully charged. I aim for 3.4v per cell to be safe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah it's got a built in bms board so that's a plus

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So i did a thing and slapped on some custom looks lol

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
It's best not to run them all the way down to where the BMS has to cut it off you should get around 400 charges before you start to notice it degrading...

Don't charge it back up if you've only used a bit of it

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Awesome thanks! Ill have to rethink my approach, I'm still stuck in sla habits lol

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes you're going to definitely have to get out of the SLA thinking. LOL. Anyway the bike looks good. I like it, I don't always like stickers but tasteful stickers done in the right way and not too many, look awesome!
It should treat you well now.
After I fixed my buddy's bike, he took it down to 34 volts and then charged back up to 42. And it was good. He just made sure he didn't go below 30 under load. You'll have to figure out your sweet spots for your 48 volts.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I probably should just start a new thread but
I didn't think it was worth its own thread, so sorry for the hijack,
just wanted to show, I had an Razor E100 that had a dead computer. I installed a 36 volt cheap Chinese controller and throttle, and used a hoverboard lithium battery, does 17mph from about 8mph. Pretty sick, have no idea how long that 100 watt motor will last. But we've been beating on it for 3 weeks, at least my 80-pound kid is.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That scooter is pretty slick! Honestly I'm pretty surprised that motor hasn't cooked itself yet but hey who knows, maybe it's a decent little thing and takes it like a champ! One thing I noticed about my 36v 800w motor is that on hot days it tends to get really hot with like 15 minutes of wide open throttle... to a level where you can't touch it longer than a few seconds, should I be concerned? I don't want to short the motor out. Speed controller seems to stay cool so that's a plus.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Seek out a device like this then you can attach a temperature probe to your motor and monitor its temperatures the price range is from $15 to $65 depending upon the features.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 56 Posts