108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That's pretty cool, I'll have to check those out

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey random question but why can't you use a brushed speed controller for a brushless motor? What makes them incompatible?

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
742 Posts
That scooter is pretty slick! Honestly I'm pretty surprised that motor hasn't cooked itself yet but hey who knows, maybe it's a decent little thing and takes it like a champ! One thing I noticed about my 36v 800w motor is that on hot days it tends to get really hot with like 15 minutes of wide open throttle... to a level where you can't touch it longer than a few seconds, should I be concerned? I don't want to short the motor out. Speed controller seems to stay cool so that's a plus.
Yes, It shouldnt get that hot. I mean it will with your setup, but dont let it get that hot. You can run it hard for 10 minutes or so but then run it at slower speeds for a while. Another thing you can do is go for Less top speed and more torque, swap the front sprocket down to a 10 teeth. It'll help keep things cooler but you will sacrifice top speed

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey random question but why can't you use a brushed speed controller for a brushless motor? What makes them incompatible?
Short answer, 2 wire brushed vs 3 wire brushless motor. They also run it to totally different RPMs and I believe amps as well

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Short answer, 2 wire brushed vs 3 wire brushless motor. They also run it to totally different RPMs and I believe amps as well
Ah okay that explains it. I was just browsing stuff and noticed that they seemed to be specific about differentiation between brushed and brushless controllers and I wasn't sure what made them so different from each other and why I hadn't heard of someone running a brushless motor with the stock controller or something.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
If you're going to go brushless make absolutely sure that you get a speed control that is programmable and has a USB port.

If you get one of those cheap non-programmable ones that has soft on your going to be extremely disappointed with your purchase!!!

Almost all of the bicycle speed controls have soft on to keep the brushless motor from tearing the spokes out of the wheels!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yeah soft start is for pansies!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Kitty is right. There's been a lot of posts on here about people being disappointed. Might as well just do it the right way the first time. There are the non-slow start cheap controllers but very hard to find.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I mean I'm totally satisfied with the wy it performs now but this information is worth it's weight in gold just in case

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Nice pic. How far is that Lake from your house?
It's a tidal river, the cocheco. That spot is about 5 miles from where I live, had to do some trail riding to get there lol. Was a fun time!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
If you need a 48v 120mm fan for that let me know I will get you one from work we have massive amounts of used ones stacking up.

It's just driving me nuts knowing you're riding that thing around without proper cooling...
I'm definitely interested in anything that can help!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Dude, five miles away and then you rode five miles back home? No lead-acid battery packed mx500 or MX650 can do that. I don't care what you say, even brand new, or 15 amp hour batteries. I ride a long time on my lithium pack electric razors. So sweet to do that. Thanks for sharing.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts