Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project is finally under way... awhile ago I picked up a MX500 off CL for $20, but given the condition it should have been free lol. Early pics of this build...

How it looked after stripped down:

Back from my buddy's shop with a new top battery tray and lock bar:

Very happy with the new battery layout, perfect fitment for the battery cover:

This might cause some delays though, they sent me a controller which i think is under-powered after doing the math:

48V x 33a = 1587 watts ...w t f? Hope they have an explanation that makes sense or i'm sending this controller back!

more to follow, stay tuned!

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Not a snowballs chance in hell getting 2kw out of that thing. .

Seeings brushless motors do some voltage conversions to keep heat down I'd just get the same controller in 60v and the 48v brushless will run 3750 rpms...

I know you're in for originality but the extra 12v battery can be hidden from atop......

Good Luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep the ratings on these labels are not always accurate... 60v is still an option, both trays will hold 3 x 12v10Ah SLAs with no clearance issues.

but i wouldnt go to aliexpress for that controller, the next step up is what i'd get... fully programmable voltage/current parameters and good customer support :thumbsup:

KBS72151E,80A,24-72V, Mini Brushless DC Controller - Kelly Controls, LLC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
havent had time to paint the frame and rims yet, but i did manage to hook up and bench test two different controllers running the new motor:

now that i verified the motor and controller are working, i'm ready to start re-assembly as soon as i get the painting done...

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Looks good....What are the max rpm's on your setup?

Have you looked into the custom engineered BLDC motors....

They got ones that are pretty wicked with forced air or liquid cooling....

Seeings the camera on my phone is busted I couldn't take pics of this custom setup I saw that might impress your socks off....

At one of my customers houses I went to recently works on Teslas and was running a 7" round 60v 3kw [6kw peak] BLDC mineral oil cooled motor and programmable controller setup on a stretched drag pr200 Razor that can spin over 5000 rpms setup with a 2 speed drive system and most likely hitting some crazy speeds on it.....When I asked the pricetag he laughed.............. LOL

Keep up the good work............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts