Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I upgraded my mx650 to a 48v overvolt kit and am now ready to upgrade the motor. What options do you folks recommend for direct drop in brushed motor with no or little modification to get the most power? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,083 Posts
Hey, as far as I know the 36 volt 800 W drop right in oh, there is a 1000w but it is very hard to find and expensive. And considering you upgraded to 48 volt controller you don't want to upgrade to brushless. I hear you there, the 800 watt 36 volt Motors are roughly $60 on eBay or Amazon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, as far as I know the 36 volt 800 W drop right in oh, there is a 1000w but it is very hard to find and expensive. And considering you upgraded to 48 volt controller you don't want to upgrade to brushless. I hear you there, the 800 watt 36 volt Motors are roughly $60 on eBay or Amazon.
Thanks for the info. I came across the 36v 800w however I was hoping there was a more powerful alternative. You mentioned that there is a 1000w model. I saw this one below that I was contemplating with some minor modifications. It also gives me a little more RPM. Is this the one you were thinking about? Curious if anyone has done this mod and if they be willing to share the results.

Model: MY1020
Type: Brush
Voltage: 48 volt DC
Sprocket: 11 tooth 8 mm 05T chain sprocket
Output: 1000 watts
Rated Speed: 3000 RPM
Rated Current: 26.7 amps
Length Of Wires: 24"
Case Length: 5-7/8" (150 mm)
Case Diameter: 4-1/4" (108 mm)
Drive Shaft Length: 1" (25 mm)
Drive Shaft Diameter: 5/16" (8 mm)
Bolt Hole Distance (Adjacent): 3" (76 mm)
Bolt Hole Distance (Cross Bracket): 1-3/16" (30 mm)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
True, and to combat that you gear it for low end not top speed. Take one tooth off the motor and will be good. Im still running 36v to my 24v 500w motor with the stock 11t front and 80t rear. No over heating and 23-25 mph. With the stock 26lb lead acid and my 185 butt on it. Switching to a 4lb lithium ion pack and eventually a 10t front sprocket to have better offroad capability and hill climbing. Might be around 20-21mph max but better for less motor heat and longevity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just measured the stock motor and the case is 5 1/4 long and the sprocket is 5 3/4 from the case. Both of these 1000w motors (36v and 48v) are the same dimensions coming in longer and would require modifications to fit the 5//8 difference. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hopefully someone can give me some guidance or suggestions. I got the 800w 36v motor in and installed it but its slower than my other two mx 650's. All bikes are 48v moded with the same batteries and throttle/controllers. I notices the new motor ran hotter than the other two. Is there a break in period? Here is the link to the motor I bought... 800W 36V electric motor w bracket w#25 sprocket f scooter minibike goKart | eBay

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have heard similar with running 48v on the old 750w motor. I remember reading they regeared it to run more lowend and less topend. I believe it was the motr sprocket down one tooth. Also changing the motor and power/battery connectors to XT60.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have heard similar with running 48v on the old 750w motor. I remember reading they regeared it to run more lowend and less topend. I believe it was the motr sprocket down one tooth. Also changing the motor and power/battery connectors to XT60.
Ugh. I am speaking with the seller now about it to see what they think. The sprocket and tooth count are the same as the others.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I was thinking, what controller are you running? That motor might be pulling more amps than the controller can put out. The motor will start running hot and the controller might shut down for short of time. Just some stuff I remember reading.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How did things turn out, I have dabbled in the electrics a few times in my younger years. ATV is correct. Definitely might be pulling some high amps, I have had that problem when I ran 1000 W motor on a go cart with a stock controller and Lead acid batteries . I actually upgraded my batteries and an aftermarket controller that was 1500 W and I had no problems

·
Registered
9 Posts
How did things turn out, I have dabbled in the electrics a few times in my younger years. ATV is correct. Definitely might be pulling some high amps, I have had that problem when I ran 1000 W motor on a go cart with a stock controller and Lead acid batteries . I actually upgraded my batteries and an aftermarket controller that was 1500 W and I had no problems
I think ATV is correct as well. I did not get the specification of how many amps the controller is rated for so I just went ahead and ordered a 48v 1000w 40a controller. Funny thing, I replaced the current 48v 1000w ? Amp controller with the original from the the MX 650 and it is slightly faster than the other 650 now :) On initial take off it is slightly slower but on top end it pulls around it and beats it by a little over a car length.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think ATV is correct as well. I did not get the specification of how many amps the controller is rated for so I just went ahead and ordered a 48v 1000w 40a controller. Funny thing, I replaced the current 48v 1000w ? Amp controller with the original from the the MX 650 and it is slightly faster than the other 650 now :) On initial take off it is slightly slower but on top end it pulls around it and beats it by a little over a car length.
Quick update... I installed the new controller (1000W 48V 40A Variable Speed Controller f Scooter mini bike quad electric Motor) paired with the ( 800W 36V electric motor w bracket w#25 sprocket f scooter minibike goKart | eBay) and initially the bike responded positively. We re raced the modified 650's again and this time it put at least a bus length. So I thought that was to solution. Unfortunately, the motor got fried after running it for a few hours. Not sure why at this point. I am going to install a spare mx500 motor I have laying around and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
You can only over volt with a stockish esc because by design it limit's the amps the motor can pull that's what keeps it from burning up on a over volted setup

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Well sorry to hear it burned up. Sounds like it was a blast for the few hours. I think Kitty is right, I think those Motors draw around 29 amps stock and obviously more when you overvolt them but must have just been too much. I think I remember reading that when you over volt you should get it for Less have speed and more low-end and they don't heat up as much. But I think I also remember reading when you're going something that far past stock you supposed to ride no more than 15 minutes. I have never overvolt it that far. Only fast scooters controllers, SLA's, and stock overvolted motor. But those setups 30 or 40 minutes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts