Pocketbike Forum banner

Razor MX650 Brushed Motor Upgrade

8K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  Atvrunner2 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I upgraded my mx650 to a 48v overvolt kit and am now ready to upgrade the motor. What options do you folks recommend for direct drop in brushed motor with no or little modification to get the most power? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
Hey, as far as I know the 36 volt 800 W drop right in oh, there is a 1000w but it is very hard to find and expensive. And considering you upgraded to 48 volt controller you don't want to upgrade to brushless. I hear you there, the 800 watt 36 volt Motors are roughly $60 on eBay or Amazon.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I came across the 36v 800w however I was hoping there was a more powerful alternative. You mentioned that there is a 1000w model. I saw this one below that I was contemplating with some minor modifications. It also gives me a little more RPM. Is this the one you were thinking about? Curious if anyone has done this mod and if they be willing to share the results.

Model: MY1020
Type: Brush
Voltage: 48 volt DC
Sprocket: 11 tooth 8 mm 05T chain sprocket
Output: 1000 watts
Rated Speed: 3000 RPM
Rated Current: 26.7 amps
Length Of Wires: 24"
Case Length: 5-7/8" (150 mm)
Case Diameter: 4-1/4" (108 mm)
Drive Shaft Length: 1" (25 mm)
Drive Shaft Diameter: 5/16" (8 mm)
Bolt Hole Distance (Adjacent): 3" (76 mm)
Bolt Hole Distance (Cross Bracket): 1-3/16" (30 mm)

#7 ·
I just measured the stock motor and the case is 5 1/4 long and the sprocket is 5 3/4 from the case. Both of these 1000w motors (36v and 48v) are the same dimensions coming in longer and would require modifications to fit the 5//8 difference. Has anyone tried this?

#6 ·
True, and to combat that you gear it for low end not top speed. Take one tooth off the motor and will be good. Im still running 36v to my 24v 500w motor with the stock 11t front and 80t rear. No over heating and 23-25 mph. With the stock 26lb lead acid and my 185 butt on it. Switching to a 4lb lithium ion pack and eventually a 10t front sprocket to have better offroad capability and hill climbing. Might be around 20-21mph max but better for less motor heat and longevity.

#13 ·
How did things turn out, I have dabbled in the electrics a few times in my younger years. ATV is correct. Definitely might be pulling some high amps, I have had that problem when I ran 1000 W motor on a go cart with a stock controller and Lead acid batteries . I actually upgraded my batteries and an aftermarket controller that was 1500 W and I had no problems

#14 ·
I think ATV is correct as well. I did not get the specification of how many amps the controller is rated for so I just went ahead and ordered a 48v 1000w 40a controller. Funny thing, I replaced the current 48v 1000w ? Amp controller with the original from the the MX 650 and it is slightly faster than the other 650 now :) On initial take off it is slightly slower but on top end it pulls around it and beats it by a little over a car length.

#17 ·
Well sorry to hear it burned up. Sounds like it was a blast for the few hours. I think Kitty is right, I think those Motors draw around 29 amps stock and obviously more when you overvolt them but must have just been too much. I think I remember reading that when you over volt you should get it for Less have speed and more low-end and they don't heat up as much. But I think I also remember reading when you're going something that far past stock you supposed to ride no more than 15 minutes. I have never overvolt it that far. Only fast scooters controllers, SLA's, and stock overvolted motor. But those setups 30 or 40 minutes.

#25 ·
With the 48v.1000w setup, how fast is it? Flat ground GPS. My guess is 22-23mph. Take off 'should' be better.
Overvolting adds power quick at the expense of longevity.
I am just curious, i have overvolted lots of 24v to 36v (always the mx500/MX650 controller) and an MX500 by installing a 24v 500w motor.
I have heard lots of people going 48v on the stock MX500 w motors and tge stock MX650 motors. One guy claimed, 30-32mph but I can't remember if he regeared it. But it had gas dirtbike rims spoked to the original hubs. 10in rear and 12in front. I couldnt verify that speed, but that was his story.

#22 ·
You have to be conscious of throttle when you're running an over volted system every time you go past 75% throttle your killing it. Just like adding a turbo or nitrous to a stock engine yeah it's fun but every time you use it it's killing it.

It's always best to upgrade the motor and speed control at the same time then adjust the gearing to rider weight you can go up to 1000 watts on the stock batteries any more than a thousand watts and the batteries will start melting and we'll have to be upgraded to lithium ion or lithium polymer and a charger to match whatever you go with

#23 ·
I get it.. If I had good launch and poor top end or vice versa I would look at gearing however it is slow on both.. I went ahead and added the 5th battery and its slightly quicker. My only guess at this point is to swap out the controller. I verified that I am getting 60v at the motor but I don't have a way to measure amps.

#27 ·
JDMX500 is running li ion??
The 48v 500w guy with the dirt bike wheels that I met was running lead acid. All four. I just never rode it to verify the top speed. I saw the dirt bikes. They were really cool, especially the red rims with street tires, I was thinking he might have been hittin 25-26.

#30 ·
I was thinking of a different person I'm talking about the guy that likes to put downhill mountain bike forks on them

It takes 1800 watts to get them up to 35mph
@MrKitty you were right. One of the brushes was stuck open on the new motor. Its better than before but still on par with my 48v 650. I know the extra battery adds a few pounds but the additional volts should make up for it. I verified I am getting just over 60v at the motor. I am thinking to swap out the SLA batteries for Li ion. Any recommendations I should be looking out for or expectations from them?

@Atvrunner2 I have not done a speed test on it yet only because it does not seem to be running at its optimal performance. This is the 3rd 650 I mod to 48v and it is just a bit slower.

#31 ·
That's crazy that this is your third one and it's slower, it just goes to show that sometimes you never know. Even the gas pocket bikes, you could have three of the exact same engines and they will all three run different.
Glad you found a problem that you can fix. Some people say not to use those cheap blue ones on eBay, other people have used them and they are totally fine.
I'm up in the air with those, a few times I bought lithium packs off of a website, 36 volt 10 amp hour with charger for about 165 shipped. Either way if you spend $100 on 15 amp SLA's for 150 with charger for one of those cheap eBay blue ones that are safe 14 amp hour, I think you're fine, because the sla's will only last a few years and I'm sure you'll get more out of the lithium cheap Pack, but even if not I think it's still worth it because they do run longer and are lighter.
My lead acids were 26.6 lb and the one lithium pack was 3.3 lb
I will try to dig up the website if you would like it

#32 ·
That's crazy that this is your third one and it's slower, it just goes to show that sometimes you never know. Even the gas pocket bikes, you could have three of the exact same engines and they will all three run different.
Glad you found a problem that you can fix. Some people say not to use those cheap blue ones on eBay, other people have used them and they are totally fine.
I'm up in the air with those, a few times I bought lithium packs off of a website, 36 volt 10 amp hour with charger for about 165 shipped. Either way if you spend $100 on 15 amp SLA's for 150 with charger for one of those cheap eBay blue ones that are safe 14 amp hour, I think you're fine, because the sla's will only last a few years and I'm sure you'll get more out of the lithium cheap Pack, but even if not I think it's still worth it because they do run longer and are lighter.
My lead acids were 26.6 lb and the one lithium pack was 3.3 lb
I will try to dig up the website if you would like it
Thanks for the response. That's a nice weight savings, i'll keep watch for it. Should I be worried about the reduced amps between the SLA's and the Lithium packs?

#33 ·
You can use those cheap ones as long as you understand the risk and know that most of the time they catch on fire while they are charging or in use

Understand that the cells are the same thing that are used in all those hoverboards that were recalled in the US!!!

You always think it won't happen to you until it happens I walked in and stopped the charger just in time!!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.