Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister let me have her Razor Pocket Mod, it charges and turns on. But when we twist the throttle nothing happens, she left it on our porch for two years. The porch has screen windows so rain gets in all the time. What replacement parts would be the best thing to get? A new throttle, a new motor, a new control module, or new batteries?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well bad news it could be you need new batteries a new controller and a new throttle.The motor could possibly be damaged because rain is bad for any motor.Realy since you might have to replace everything anyway you should just mod it to go faster get 3 12 volt 7 amp batteries, a 36 volt charger, a razor mx500 controller,and a razor mx500 twist throttle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well bad news it could be you need new batteries a new controller and a new throttle.The motor could possibly be damaged because rain is bad for any motor.Realy since you might have to replace everything anyway you should just mod it to go faster get 3 12 volt 7 amp batteries, a 36 volt charger, a razor mx500 controller,and a razor mx500 twist throttle.

The prices for repairs would total around $135, it was $200 when we first got it, I think it would be easier to sell it to someone who was willing to pay for everything and instal the new parts, and then just get the MX500 instead of upgrading.

·
Registered
375 Posts
A new mx500 runs almost $400 w/out shipping.
a new controller is $24.
There are a few things you can do to save money and time.

1st, inspect for rust. the chain, the motor, the wheels?
2nd, if your throttle has lights...do they come on?
3rd, when it charges how long does it take? it should take like 6hrs if they are dead, and hour or 2 just to freshen up.
4th, you need a battery meter, $8 at walmart for a "multi-meter" I only know how to check the voltage with mine...you don't have to be an expert.

So if the bike is clean, the power light comes on, and you hear a "click" when you turn the throttle, it is just your controller.
the click will sound like something is trying to come on but won't.

start there and I can easily recommend cheap replacement parts. just batteries and a controller will run $85-$90 not too bad for the speed you get and fun time.
Batteries when taken care of, will last 3years. All you have to do is charge them once a month to \keep them topped off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked it like you said, the chain is rusted, but we have some chains in our shop. It clicked when I turned the throttle, so it needs a new controller. But the normal stock ones go 15 MPH, and I doubt this will hit 15. So I'll probably just sell it to someone willing to pay for and instal the controller. Then just get a MX500 and not upgrade until it needs fixed. (we have the money to fix the pocket mod, but not the time).

·
Registered
375 Posts
1 last thing you want to do is hook a 12v battery up to the motor to see if it still runs smooth. if there's no rust on the motor i wouldn't worry about it, but that will tell you a lot if it spins or not.
I would look for an MX frame before I bought a new MX and beef it up how you want. Then again you have a frame with the pocket mod. I got mine up to 26mph when I dropped a 1000watt motor in it.

1 last thing...the chain just needs PB blaster. spray it on and it will shine within minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I talked with my dad, he said if it takes hours to weld so we can have some extra space to work then we're just going to spare the money and time and just get an actual gas powered bike on eBay. I might be able to talk my brother into helping me find some cheap parts, but I'll have to get quite a bit of money to have our local mechanic do the welding, so it may take a while to fix it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I didn't need to weld. I just bolted a few steel plates onto the motor late to fit a 1000watt motor on it. I used junction box covers from the hardware store.
The hardest thing you'll have to do is drill holes.

gas bikes on ebay are expensive. check your local craigslist...maybe someone has on old minibike ffor sale.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok first check if your brakes are pressed down, because the pocket mods motor cutsoff when the brakes are initiates, try loosening them. If that dosent work then turn it upside down and spin the wheel while holding the throttle. If this dosent work then you are going to have to buy a new controller and throttle, which will run u 35 buck on razorama, first try that if this dosent work its probably your batteries, but im like 90 percent sure its ure throttle and/or controller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts