Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a steering damper for my DM Mini that needs rebuilding. The person who had it before said all the oil just leaked out. All the seals look intact but I guess I will replace them just in case. Do I just fill it up full making sure there are no air bubbles in it? What kind of oil and weight do I use? Synthetic RC car shock oil comes to mind, hehe.

One end there is a rod end. On the other end is a long screw that is treaded half way. If I unscrew it and pull it out, there are two o-rings on the end of this half threaded screw. Is this screw used to adjust the stiffness of the damper?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dampener 101

That's exactly what the screw does...I have a SME dampener just like the one you described and it did the same thing- leaked like crazy! You have to be very careful with the install of this unit- it will leak like a sieve if the body of it is not allowed to move a bit in every direction!! What happens is the rod pushes against the seal of the body when the body can't move, and pinches one side of the seal, so the other side of the seal is allowed to leak. Once I had it installed correctly, it's the best damn dampener I've ever used! You can use any kind of oil in it- the more formulated it is (i.e. synthetic and sorts) the better it's wiping characteristic- means it will stay in the body, and not on the rod...Old school oil (hypoid and such) is a smeary oil, and will probably eventually get by the seals onto the shaft...

Hope that helps!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I may have to rebuild mine - I have SME steering damper courtesy of a very good pocketbike friend from Texas.....did you have to buy a new O ring when you rebuilt your SME?

·
Registered
31 Posts
hello from SME Racing. if any one has a leaking SME dampener we will rebuild it free of charge. we now have a larger o-ring that seals much better. Send me an email at [email protected] and we can discuss details. OR

if you want to rebuild the dampener yourself we can send you the o-ring set.

Tate Parham
SME Racing
949 580 1266

·
Registered
783 Posts
smeracing said:
hello from SME Racing. if any one has a leaking SME dampener we will rebuild it free of charge. we now have a larger o-ring that seals much better. Send me an email at [email protected] and we can discuss details. OR

Tate Parham
SME Racing
949 580 1266
Hello there - I pmed you - regarding sending me the O rings and instructions. Thanks for posting this message.

·
2-Stroke Tech Expert
2,936 Posts
smeracing said:

Tate Parham
SME Racing
949 580 1266
Tate,

Got the rebuild parts today. Thanks!

Freddie

·
Registered
118 Posts
smeracing said:

Tate Parham
SME Racing
949 580 1266
Service doesn't get much better than this. I'm impressed.

Roy

·
Registered
783 Posts
smeracing said:

Tate Parham
SME Racing
949 580 1266
THANKS! I got the replacement parts yesterday - installed it(easy) and replaced the oil and no more leaks - thanks for the sticker and its on my Polini 911. Love that on the fly adjuster......

Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too suffered the same with a Polini damper, the real problem is that all of the dampers use o rings, because of this the contact area of the rubber o ring is minimal with the damping rod. I use a small rubber hollow tube of the correct internal/external dia, cut to the same width. This way the contact area of the rubber seal is along the entire width/length of the seal and not just 1 point on the circumference of the o ring. Works fine. Try model tubing on RC cars.

G

·
Besides SME, who makes dampers for DM, and which do you like. Who makes the least expensive damper, and is it any good?

·
Registered
783 Posts
b1blackjack said:
Once I had it installed correctly, it's the best damn dampener I've ever used! You can use any kind of oil in it- the more formulated it is (i.e. synthetic and sorts) the better it's wiping characteristic- means it will stay in the body, and not on the rod...Old school oil (hypoid and such) is a smeary oil, and will probably eventually get by the seals onto the shaft...
Good point - I use Shock Oil 60 which I purchased at HobbyTown. They are cheap and works well - you can even change the weight to fine tune your steering. SME is probably the best deal out there with their support and its easy to rebuild. Plus they are the only brand that carries an on-the-fly tension adjuster......

·
2-Stroke Tech Expert
2,936 Posts
Fritz said:
Besides SME, who makes dampers for DM, and which do you like. Who makes the least expensive damper, and is it any good?
BZM makes a non-adjustable stabilizer for around $98, a 25-way adjustable for around $130 and Zocchi has an infinitely adjustable stabilizer for about $170.

The cheapest I've seen one for is the Polini adjustable for about $90, but if I'm not mistaken, they are specific to various Polini Minimoto's although I have seen people do some inventive modification to suit their own applications.

I believe those prices to be accurate, but don't quote me on it and as always, prices are subject to change and vary from dealer to dealer.

Talk to Bill or Tom.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Fritz said:
Fritz if you're looking for one that would fit your cag - check out scooterparts4less - they sell steering damper only $60

·
Registered
2 Posts
SME all the way! I have tried all the others- nothing compares to this! The only "gripe" I would have is travel in the body- It is PLENTY of turning when you're at speed, but in the pits it takes some getting used to! Other than that, look no further than SME Fritz! Your DM is beautiful and definitely deserves this quality addition! Look at the support of the factory (new o-ring kit)... Betcha won't find THAT on your Bi-Zeta or Polini!

SME is the way to go (my .02)

PeaceOut!

The MAYOR
Team HITMAN

·
Registered
964 Posts
fstbusa said:
anyone got any pics on mounting points on a polini?
The mounting points are different for different Polini models... The Carena bolts the cylinder end at the front of the chassis just behind the steering column. The pushrod end bolts to a hole usually in the right side of the lower triple clamp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts