Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son has a 1983 suzuki and he is getting too much oil in his spark plugs he is constently having to take them out and clean them. does anyone know if this means his reed valve is broken and need replacing
Thank you
Elaine
any help would be great

·
Registered
76 Posts

I don't know about reed valve,but i would say check manufacture recommended mixture maybe your making it with not enough gas and to much oil?
EMASSE said:
My son has a 1983 suzuki and he is getting too much oil in his spark plugs he is constently having to take them out and clean them. does anyone know if this means his reed valve is broken and need replacing
Thank you
Elaine
any help would be great

·
Registered
194 Posts
EMASSE said:
Thank you
Elaine
any help would be great
Emasse,
Could you provide a bit more information on the bike exactly?

Assuming that it is in fact a 2 stroke motor:
If a reed is broken, you will know it for sure. It will not run correctly at all and will make all kinds of funny noises. If the reed(s) are missing/broken completely, rest assure it would not even run.

My guesses would be:
1. Air filter is filthy and starving the motor for air which is causing a rich condition
2. The wrong type of plug is being used
3. Jetting is wrong
4. Wrong mixture of fuel/oil or wrong type

Please take the time to read the following:
http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Fouling&mfid=0

Also you will see on the left side of that site a menu column, scroll down and find the section "Plug Problems".
I suggest you/son also take the time to read every bit of it.It will help you to understand all about a sparkplug.

Good luck! And keep us posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts