Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a real bummer to lose all the info that was on here. I was just milling through the engine break-in stuff when we lost it all. Anyways I was wondering what everyone thinks about this topic. I remember reading to break-in with regular 2-stroke oil at 25:1, about 3 tanks of fuel. They thought that synthetic was too slick to let the parts wear together properly. Then after 3 tanks of fuel switch to a good synthetic at about 40:1. What does everyone think on this? Are these good #'s to go by? How many of you rode like a demon out of the box for break-in and who took it a little easier? My understanding is not to hold it wide open too long but use the full range of the engine to make sure everything sets up properly. I bought some Kendall GT-2 oil to start off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
calvin71x said:
It's a real bummer to lose all the info that was on here. I was just milling through the engine break-in stuff when we lost it all. Anyways I was wondering what everyone thinks about this topic. I remember reading to break-in with regular 2-stroke oil at 25:1, about 3 tanks of fuel. They thought that synthetic was too slick to let the parts wear together properly. Then after 3 tanks of fuel switch to a good synthetic at about 40:1. What does everyone think on this? Are these good #'s to go by? How many of you rode like a demon out of the box for break-in and who took it a little easier? My understanding is not to hold it wide open too long but use the full range of the engine to make sure everything sets up properly. I bought some Kendall GT-2 oil to start off.
Hell no syntethic oil sucks just stick with a goood 2 stroke one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blue said:
Hell no syntethic oil sucks just stick with a goood 2 stroke one.
That is not true at all.

Synthetic oil is better than regular oil for many reasons. One being that it does not breakdown like regular petroleum oil does.

Pure synthetic oil (polyalkyleneglycol) or synthetic (polyalphaolifins) are actually derived from mineral oils; mostly Polyalphaolifins and these come from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas. Synthetic oil bases do not contain reactive carbon atoms like regular oil does. Reactive carbon has a tendency to combine with oxygen creating an acid; this is not good.

Not gonna go in to it; tired of typing, but I assure you, synthetic is BEST!!!

For those who think otherwise, just continue to use what you use... what the heck do I know...

·
Registered
45 Posts
You are right about the synthetics,Castor used to be the prefered 2stroke oil but it pulls humidity out of the air and burns dirty.Full synthetic is the way to go,motul is best, imo.
Start break in right out at 50:1 with full synthetic,I do it to all our italian motors and never had a problem.

Tom

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dont forget synthetic smoke less and doesnt have as strong an odar as petro. I love how clean synthetic runs, the cyclinders and head looks brand spaking new after more then 4 months of hard riding. My motor also doesnt run as hot with synthetic in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have used amsoil racing oil in the last 2 pocketbikes I have owned. I have been very pleased with the results. It is what is used in racing snowmobiles and in my opinion it is the best 2 cycle synthetic made. It is called dominator;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amsoil

Thanks for the feedback. Here's some info for you. I was just at an Amsoil dealer because I decided to go with synthetic. I told them I had a 49cc pocketbike and that it was new. They put down the bottle of synthetic that they were gonna show me and recommended I break-in with a regular oil. They informed me that the Amsoil synth is so slick that the engine doesn't break in as it would with regular oil. Also the heat isn't as high which is a negative when breaking-in, the rings may not seat properly. They said it may not matter and you probably could run synth from the start, but this is what they would do. Amsoil makes all synth products so I walked out not buying a thing when they could of sold me whatever if they really didn't care. That goes a long way with me and I believe that this is true. They also gave me a phone number for the Tech dept. at Amsoil so I could talk to them directly and verify this info if I wanted to. So that's that, do what you will.

·
Registered
6 Posts
calvin71x said:
Thanks for the feedback. Here's some info for you. I was just at an Amsoil dealer because I decided to go with synthetic. I told them I had a 49cc pocketbike and that it was new. They put down the bottle of synthetic that they were gonna show me and recommended I break-in with a regular oil. They informed me that the Amsoil synth is so slick that the engine doesn't break in as it would with regular oil. Also the heat isn't as high which is a negative when breaking-in, the rings may not seat properly. They said it may not matter and you probably could run synth from the start, but this is what they would do. Amsoil makes all synth products so I walked out not buying a thing when they could of sold me whatever if they really didn't care. That goes a long way with me and I believe that this is true. They also gave me a phone number for the Tech dept. at Amsoil so I could talk to them directly and verify this info if I wanted to. So that's that, do what you will.
Like I said, everyone has an opinion on what to do, it's up to u to make the call... BTW, the engines ARE tested before they're shipped out, which means that there has been some "break in" already.

As an aside, I tried each method and both of my bikes run great! My X2, I tried non-syn oil for break in, then syn afterwards. My cag i broke in w/syn right off the bat. Castrol says that it does not matter and reference the fact that some new, higher classed cars come with synthetic right off the assembly line (as a reference)...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used synthetic @ 25:1 for breaking in 4 bikes and i ran them hard. Fueled them up, warmed them up, adjusted carb, opened throttle and ran full bore for about 6 miles. Thats my breakin policy and I have the most durable and fastest bikes in the area. After 2 takns I switch to 32:1 and never had a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have always used synthetic oils in my snowmobiles and pocketbikes from day one and I have never had a problem with the rings not seating. I swear by amsoil when it comes to racing synthetics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two strokes are different animals than 4 strokes. Techincally speaking, the rings in a 2 stroke never really do "seat". Yes, the wear and lap into place but they never really seal as well as a 4 stroke primarily because of the oil on the fuel and the power power stroke on every revolution. Backpressure also plays an important part of the seating of rings and a 2 stroke doesnt experience that backing down until you release the throttle. A 4 stroke receives the backing effect on every other revolution and the rings will seat properly and seal much better. Thats why I take a new bike, warm it up, throttle it up and push it hard. I do back off the throttle every minute or two tho so it can see the backing efect and help the rings lap into the cylinder.

·
Registered
134 Posts
any good brands to look for??? where's the best to buy??? so 25:1 average with a sythentic oil mixed in 87 gasoline right??? so roughly 5oz oil to 1 gallon gas... let me know if I am on the right track...:) also what's the best sparkplug for the x1/x2???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
x1power said:
any good brands to look for??? where's the best to buy??? so 25:1 average with a sythentic oil mixed in 87 gasoline right??? so roughly 5oz oil to 1 gallon gas... let me know if I am on the right track...:) also what's the best sparkplug for the x1/x2???
Just read any thread on synthetics, Amsoil is a popular one but there are many to choose from. We have an Amsoil dealer right in town here but you can get oil at a motorcycle shop or sometimes even automotive stores have it. I've heard different on the fuel. Some guys run 110 octane racing fuel. Right now I'm using 92 non-oxygenated with Klotz non-synth oil for break-in. I believe it's 5.2 oz oil per gallon fuel for a 25:1 mixture. As far as spark plugs there's a list of them you could use in the How To's. When I get a new plug I think I'm going to settle somewhere in the middle like a Champion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i use amsoil synthetic for 2 strokes, works beautifully for me!

·
Registered
60 Posts
i just bought some maxima castor 927 oil, a lot of gopeders swear by it, and i mean a lot, its not full synthetic and breaks down at 400 something degrees

1 - 20 of 22 Posts