Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off this is my first post so if I'm in the wrong section please advise. I was given one of those little APC mini harley 43cc 2 stroke bikes. Been lurking this site getting some tips on it. The wiring was rigged and the bike ran but was rough. I'm not new to bikes, wiring, or engines (built a few fun things in my life...)

I am completely stripping the factory wiring and making a new harness. I took the time and traced all the wiring to understand where everything goes and will be reusing many of the connectors as needed. This bike is for one of my girls who loves my bike but is too young to really get into them. So I am NOT concerned about more power to the engine, just fun to putt around at shows with her mom and I.

So, here is the deal. I am ditching the tiny battery and installing a much larger Lithium (LiPo4) battery and I have ditched all the old lighting as nothing was salvageable due to years of damage and neglect (this bike was a free barn find). I have ordered a new E starter as this one was toast. If/when the new one fails I will probably just gut it and use pull start like it seems most do. The soleniod appears new, but I have yet to test it. .. now, the REAL question. The regular on this things.. is it the same principal as a reg/rec unit on other bigger bikes? And if so.... does that mean the bike has a stator/alternator unit? I can't see how it does unless the starter pulls double duty (feasible but.. new to me). I plan on running all LED lighting off the new bigger battery (330cca for those wondering, and building a battery/electrical box where the plastic motor used to sit). I already have a charger for the battery but if that little motor can charge then I need to make sure the regulator will be compatible with lithium, or install an isolator so it doesn't backfeed the system.

And how would one test the regulator without the engine running? I know how to run continuity checks on a standard harley 3 wire style, but without knowing proper output on this thing I can't verify anything.

Thank you in advance for reading this long thing and helping me out. I am current bare frame and have most things painted and ready for reinstall and this regulator has me at a standstill (since I will be moving it I need to account for whatever changes I need to make.)

Pic for attention and to show everyone what bike I'm working with.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Administrator
3,759 Posts
the starter is the generator the regulator is really just a box to feed the battery DC it doesn't have anything fancy because the starter/generator can barley put back in the juice it takes to start it so you never have to worry about it over charging the battery in fact those bikes came with a cord to plug it into the wall to charge the battery the bike is in nice shape and haveing all the parts is a huge bonus since pepboys stopped selling them in 2004 and parts are extremally hard to find .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the starter is the generator the regulator is really just a box to feed the battery DC it doesn't have anything fancy because the starter/generator can barley put back in the juice it takes to start it so you never have to worry about it over charging the battery in fact those bikes came with a cord to plug it into the wall to charge the battery the bike is in nice shape and haveing all the parts is a huge bonus since pepboys stopped selling them in 2004 and parts are extremally hard to find .
I still plan on using a charger on it. I am ditching the 3 prong deal for a SAE style plug so I can use the same charger on all my bikes. I did get a lithium/agm/leaded compatible charger so all battery types will be safe. I guess I will go ahead and wire it all back up, albeit in new locations. I having fun Turning this into a little mini rat bike for our girls. Bigger battery allows me to add the central piece of fun, and air horn. Lighting all around is now LED. But the headlight will probably be a bigger power drain than the original since it has a halo function and multiple lights. It's not meant to be a long term use, but the bigger battery should allow for more fun on outings and then charge it up between

1 - 4 of 4 Posts