Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed all the electrical system and electric start on my X1 and now my spark is really weak and my bike is not starting. I have a kill switch which appears to be working properly its just that when it does spark it is weak, even with a new plug. Did I do something wrong? do we need the electrical system in order for these to run properly?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hmmm, upon removing everything did you make sure not to loosen anything else up? Check all of your connections.

Is your spark plug pushed completely in?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to say I finally got it started, sounds great too. It was idling way faster so I had to turn out the idle set screw. I removed all of the electrics and the electric starter windings also the brushes and stuff behind the starter housing. I used the keyed sleeve that was pressed into the starter windings as a spacer for the pull start catch, just pressed it out with some big sockets I had laying around. I installed my lightened clutch which I think is a great idea but I wish I would have just drilled out my own clutch, and about that 'rocket spring' I already had about a half dozen of those laying around the garage, I got them in a box of springs I bought at the hardware for $3.99, I did think about using them before but I thought they were too stiff. I guess not since they are selling them as 'rocket springs' now.
By the way, for all others interested in doing this, the old starter button now makes a real handy kill switch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i'm currently trying to remove my electric start and i'm having some problems. i cant get the damn armerature out/off. i pulled the flywheel and got the casing to seperate but thats it. i'm stuck.

any tips or tools that i'm missing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
seadooloo said:
Just wanted to say I finally got it started, sounds great too. It was idling way faster so I had to turn out the idle set screw. I removed all of the electrics and the electric starter windings also the brushes and stuff behind the starter housing. I used the keyed sleeve that was pressed into the starter windings as a spacer for the pull start catch, just pressed it out with some big sockets I had laying around. I installed my lightened clutch which I think is a great idea but I wish I would have just drilled out my own clutch, and about that 'rocket spring' I already had about a half dozen of those laying around the garage, I got them in a box of springs I bought at the hardware for $3.99, I did think about using them before but I thought they were too stiff. I guess not since they are selling them as 'rocket springs' now.
By the way, for all others interested in doing this, the old starter button now makes a real handy kill switch.
seadooloo;

How is the performance after removing the electric start? I would think that it would be noticably better with the engine not having to spin up all that extra mass.

Pops

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is running great now. I've been experimenting with different sprockets that I made at work (during lunch and after working hours of course) I'm still not completely satisfied yet but I have gotten it to 41.5 mph many times. Im going to work on the engine a little and maybe get a performance carb. I have broken my motormounts on the pullstart side of the engine though and am working on that, replacing the casing right now.
This is for big sugar...You need to take a long (at least 50mm long) 8mm bolt and turn it into the end of the winding all the way down and that will act as a puller to get the winding off of the tapered shaft. good luck if you need to pm me for more info.

·
Registered
175 Posts
SilentX1 said:
yeh i wanna know that 2. seadooloo make a suggestion plz? :)
Guys, the kill switch works by grounding the magneto. Run the SMALL wire out of your magneto (coil) to one side of a switch and ground (attach to frame) the other side. Push switch kill motor.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
roomtemp said:
Guys, the kill switch works by grounding the magneto. Run the SMALL wire out of your magneto (coil) to one side of a switch and ground (attach to frame) the other side. Push switch kill motor.
Its is just that easy. The original start button on the bike will double just as a kill switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
seadooloo said:
It is running great now. I've been experimenting with different sprockets that I made at work (during lunch and after working hours of course) I'm still not completely satisfied yet but I have gotten it to 41.5 mph many times. Im going to work on the engine a little and maybe get a performance carb. I have broken my motormounts on the pullstart side of the engine though and am working on that, replacing the casing right now.
This is for big sugar...You need to take a long (at least 50mm long) 8mm bolt and turn it into the end of the winding all the way down and that will act as a puller to get the winding off of the tapered shaft. good luck if you need to pm me for more info.
I want to put lights on my bike so wondering are you interest to sell your completed electrical components ?
Thanks for your time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts