Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I broke a piston pin retaining clip riding yesterday, the bottom ring picked it up and seized er' solid. my bike came with 3 spare "bits and pieces" motors so i put another head and piston (not an original matched pair) on my original crankcase. I was wondering if i there is any break in i should do. some oil down the cylinder? a rich oil mixture for the first tank? or does it even matter because the head and piston are used? thx

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
If it was another used cylinder and piston I would at least mix the 1st tank of fuel alittle rich of oil. The rings will reseat pretty fast with a used setup. Say 25:1

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was another used cylinder and piston I would at least mix the 1st tank of fuel alittle rich of oil. The rings will reseat pretty fast with a used setup. Say 25:1
beauty, thx man. wondering if you or anyone else knows the answer to another question of mine. totally unrelated from the c-clip incident etc. my bike came with a big bore piston and head when i bought it but it lacked power out of the hole. i noticed the compression was pretty bad so i swapped it out with the piston and head we blew yesterday. soo upon inspection of the big bore head and piston the ONLY issue is ring tension. the cylinder walls are mint with the cross hatching still sligtly visible and the piston is in great shape. are there ring sets you can buy or maybe a process to attempt to revive those rings?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Bring the rings to your local mower repair shop and dont mention pocketbike or anything rideable.............Just say an old backpack blower from the 80's or something related...He'll most likely have a better quality set of rings thatll last longer and make the engine run stronger........If not theres always ebay.............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts