Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my friend fix his shut-off while I was working on my bike. He started to encounter the sweet spot problem while riding and it progressively got worse. We fixed the shut-off completely and now his carb is seemingly falling apart.
His bike has ran for some time with no work on the carb, then after sitting it needed some going through, which is standard procedure. Now all of a sudden his overflow will just start leaking uncontrollably. Normally with our bikes you could drop the back end and loosen the float or just run it real hard and it would stop leaking. Now even if he is riding his hardest the overflow will leave a trail. I adjusted the forks to sit lower today and it did nothing. I am now wondering if it could be the stop that the forks push up to stop fuel from entering the bowl. Regardless it will pour out by A LOT and I am out of all conventional ideas.

Does anyone have some kind of constructive input of possible solutions?

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Clean it again ,, sounds like you have something caught in the overflow float needle tube.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay...
I was hoping there would be another mysterious answer.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
I helped my friend fix his shut-off while I was working on my bike. He started to encounter the sweet spot problem while riding and it progressively got worse. We fixed the shut-off completely and now his carb is seemingly falling apart.
His bike has ran for some time with no work on the carb, then after sitting it needed some going through, which is standard procedure. Now all of a sudden his overflow will just start leaking uncontrollably. Normally with our bikes you could drop the back end and loosen the float or just run it real hard and it would stop leaking. Now even if he is riding his hardest the overflow will leave a trail. I adjusted the forks to sit lower today and it did nothing. I am now wondering if it could be the stop that the forks push up to stop fuel from entering the bowl. Regardless it will pour out by A LOT and I am out of all conventional ideas.

Does anyone have some kind of constructive input of possible solutions?
Just like SpyGuy said....There could be a flake of ethanol or rubber from the petcock button smashed to the float needle tip or the needle seat...

Do the petcock mod and if he did and he drilled into the carb towards the seat to enhance fuel flow then theres your problem...You may of drilled through the carb casing aswell............JB Weld and a good 24 hours will fix any holes............Pressure and blocking off the holes will tell you where the leak is with some bubbled soappy water

Also make sure the mainjet is tight and the floatbowl purge screw on the bottom is tight too and the floatbowl gasket isnt ripped,,cracked worn or torn

Someone I got a cag from did the exact thing I mentioned ,, had a bad overflowing problem after doing the mod and then some,, gave up after that and sold it to me.........I found the problem in 15 mins and chucked the carb but noticed it was a fixable problem and not worth my time seeings I have 6 other stock carbs to use if needed but I went pumper carb........The cracked plastic intake was the other problem he had but not fixable without a new manifold............

Good luck finding the carb Gremlin...............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts