Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do rocket keys give a good performance upgrade? are they safe to use in a 47cc pocket bike engine? this is the kind of bike i have

ww211

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
do rocket keys give a good performance upgrade? are they safe to use in a 47cc pocket bike engine? this is the kind of bike i have

The Rocket key is a "Half Moon" Shaped Woodruf Key, If is "Staggered" or "offset" so when installed the Flywheel is moved (rotated) and "Advances" the engines Spark Ignition Timing.

Long story short, yes, it's a good part when it is installed correctly and on a fairly stock engine.

but, back in the day (2005 or so)I had one brake on an engine I tried to install it on, the engine would not start, finally pulled the flywheel back off and the key was snapped so the timing was "Advanced" TOO MUCH! :eek:

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Yes and no.

Yes: on a bone-stock engine that you have no intention of upgrading any further, the rocket key does offer improvement over the stock key.

No: if you are planning to modify the engine, a rocket key will tend to make the engine run hotter and a very real possibility of overheating and seizing.

Your call.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts