Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Schwinn Digital Speedometer for my X3 cateye and I need help in setting it up:

1. When measuring the "wheel", do they mean the outer diameter (OD) of the Wheel/Rims or the Tires? I got:

7" (177.8mm) for the rims
11.5" (291.1mm)with the tires.

2. According to the instructions, to multiply the diameter in millimeters by 3.1416 to get the wheel factor. So I got:

7" -> 177.8mm x 3.1416 = 558.57648 (wheel factor)
11.5" -> 291.1mm x 3.1416 = 914.51976 (wheel factor)

3. Which one is right?

4. Do I round it up to the nearest ones and enter it?

I apologize for all the questions but I can't seem to set it up right and I've been trying to set it up for 4 days now. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
866 Posts
i did the rim and tire....

but i went with the diameter of 13" that my manual said...

i would go with your outer rim and tire measurement tho...

then round to the nearest 1

·
Registered
573 Posts
I like to round down the numbers for a little better accuracy. IMO its better to think your doing slower then you actually are then to over estimate your speed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just used the numbers in blue and I only got to 27mph (rounding up). I have a filter & v-stack, pipe, rocket key, and a Walbro Carb. I'm still trying to tune the carb a bit. Hopefully by this weekend I can bring it up a bit.

A buddy of mine has the same stuff less the carb and not using any airfilter and he's is still faster. He used mine and he said that it's a little bit slower. I'm wondering if it's the filter. Should I take it out?

·
Registered
866 Posts
dont take it out, he probably just got lucky and got a better bike..

i only have a filter, stack, and pipe, and i hit 32 on my schwinn

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
iDR07 said:
dont take it out, he probably just got lucky and got a better bike..

i only have a filter, stack, and pipe, and i hit 32 on my schwinn
You and he probably did get a better bike:mad: or I just have to tune my carb right. I should be hitting 35mph with what I got, right? I'm going to try changing my plugs to the champ cj8 and try 32:1 gas/oil and see if it gets better.

BTW, I'm using Redline 2-stroke racing oil with 92 octane gas, is that any good (oil)? It makes a lot of smoke. Can anyone suggest better oil and where to get it? Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a schwinn speedometer for my x2. I used the number 1035 while using only one stock magnet to trigger the sensor off. For some reason it doesn't work? It only works when I go below 10mph? Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
866 Posts
make sure that the sensor does hit it all the time, or the magnet might be weak and the sensor cant feel it going at a faster rate... i dunno...

and Syner...
i use that same oil... its ok i guess, but there is too much smoke...
my neighbor get his from a local gas station, and it has less smoke using 32:1 like me
or u may be adding too much oil...

i think it could be the oil...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May I ask how many ounce to 1 gallon of gas is 32:1? What's the easiest way of measuring it? I was using the bottle that came with the bike and it only shows the 25:1 measurement.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Syner said:
May I ask how many ounce to 1 gallon of gas is 32:1? What's the easiest way of measuring it? I was using the bottle that came with the bike and it only shows the 25:1 measurement.
4 oz per gallon is 32:1, That bottle the bikes come with are way off. Just mix the oil in a gas container

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks SSJDemon. I will do that. Man, didn't know that that bottle off. Maybe that is why I was getting too much oil all over the place.

What do you guys use to measure the oil?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Syner said:
Thanks SSJDemon. I will do that. Man, didn't know that that bottle off. Maybe that is why I was getting too much oil all over the place.

What do you guys use to measure the oil?
You can use the mixing container to measure the oil. 118 mls is 4 ozs, which will treat one gallon.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to Homedepot and got myself a measuring cup that shows 1-4 oz. That should work right? 4oz. per gallon = 32:1.

·
Registered
866 Posts
yea...
u dont really need to get a ratio rite...
all u need is to kno the Oz to the gallon for a proper ratio...

but ur cup may still be innacurate, u never kno.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can anyone post their settings (wheel factor) for their Shwinn speedo on a cateye.

I just noticed that it says 13x5.00-6 on the front tire. Does this mean that it's 13'' when I measured it as ~11.5"-11.82"?

I got 11.82" = 300.228mm x 3.1416 = 943.359648 rounded to 0943 wheel factor

So far I got 27 mph top speed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
i put mine as 1038...

i rounded up, but most ppl round down...
it probably needs to be at 1030, and im probably hitting around the same as u

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
iDR07 said:
i put mine as 1038...

i rounded up, but most ppl round down...
it probably needs to be at 1030, and im probably hitting around the same as u
Thanks iDR07. So this means that you measured the tire as 13" (1038 / 3.1416 = 330.405mm = 12.992"). I'll try that number but I think that my speed will be higher that 27mph, that's great :thumbsup: !!!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts