Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey PBP,

I recently realized that i am still using the stock Chinese bolts for my bike and am now getting a bit scared...

The issue is, i cannot find any place to buy these bolts... I tried at least 4 different hardware stores, and none carry what i need, just everything around them. The issue could be that i live in Canada, anyone have any suggestions on where i can get a hold of the screws/bolts i need?

Also, a lot of people are modding their exhausts, but where do you get the metal parts to create a larger chamber?

Thanks!

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I've been through this exact same situation back in '06...

LOWES, Metric Grade 8 fasteners section! bring 1 of each size you need with you to match them up, if you find a bolt that is right, except too long, just cut it down to size.

There is a kit out there but it is OVERpriced!

Nick.

The bigDill, My oldest sister loved Dill Pickles even as a toddler, We used to refer to her as PickleToria :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been through this exact same situation back in '06...

LOWES, Metric Grade 8 fasteners section! bring 1 of each size you need with you to match them up, if you find a bolt that is right, except too long, just cut it down to size.

There is a kit out there but it is OVERpriced!

Nick.

The bigDill, My oldest sister loved Dill Pickles even as a toddler, We used to refer to her as PickleToria :)
HaHa!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I actually got that nickname because it rhymes with my name, Phil. "The big" was something used to create an account for some game... and it stuck :p

By the way, how many different screws should i be taking out of the bike? just for a rough idea.

Also, my gaskets are completely destroyed, any recommendations for that?

Cheers!

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Hmm, other than the engine mounting bolts, Most of the chassis bolts should be 2 - 4 different sizes like 8mm - 12mm or whatever, the only differences will (usually) be the length of each bolt.

But sometimes you may find one or two that have had the threads removed on the upper section (near the head of the bolt)

ps

Nice to meet you Phill!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, other than the engine mounting bolts, Most of the chassis bolts should be 2 - 4 different sizes like 8mm - 12mm or whatever, the only differences will (usually) be the length of each bolt.

But sometimes you may find one or two that have had the threads removed on the upper section (near the head of the bolt)

ps

Nice to meet you Phill!
How about cleaning oil off my engine and what not, i want to make it squeaky clean... just looking for some stuff to do with my bike before i get new parts to upgrade it. :)

Nice to meet you too, Nick... I know your name from the posts i have been reading around the forums XD

Now off to add some rubber spacers to save my arse from breaking under vibration. :p

·
Registered
244 Posts
How about cleaning oil off my engine and what not, i want to make it squeaky clean... just looking for some stuff to do with my bike before i get new parts to upgrade it. :)

Nice to meet you too, Nick... I know your name from the posts i have been reading around the forums XD

Now off to add some rubber spacers to save my arse from breaking under vibration. :p
I just usually use brake clean.. seems to do the best job and evaporates for easy clean up:thumbsup:

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Foam "Engine-Brite" de-greaser, in an orange and white can, Spray "foam" type solvent.

Works for me, spray it on, let it slowly drip off, hit it with some water, or a wet rag, bam, BEAUTIFUL BIKE! :):thumbsup:

ps

GermanLook is right too!

double ps

CAM2 is also Right! :)

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
The best engine cleaner is a mixture of simple green & denatured alchohol with a small brass soft bristle wire brush............Works like a charm for me................I use the same mixture to clean all my r/c cars aswell

The 128pc screwkits for import cars they sell at PepBoys has alot of useful nuts,washers and bolts for a cag.................So does the larger 500+pc kit too......

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced my fuel filter with a new one, and looks like the fuel line has melted out of shape because of the exhaust pipe. However it isn't leaking so it just has a bit of a constraint on the flow.

Looks like my spark plug has just gone bad too... it looks charred too (Grey), running to lean? (change the idle screw or the c-clip?)

I got a stock carb in the mail a couple months back and wanted to check if the needle assembly was correct... What should the order be?

IMG00514-20110719-2012.jpg

Attachments

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
It looks right to me, from left to right, you have the Slide aka barrel (Round)
Needle clip, then needle, then return spring, then the Carburetor top, the cable elbow (straight type) and last but not least is the cable sleeve...

Looks nice and clean from here.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate your effort!

I was wondering if there are any house hold products i could use to clean the gunk, it doesn't have to be perfect, but i would rather spend the money elsewhere :)

I have Carb cleaner, WD-40 (somewhere) and lots of rubbing alcohol.

Will any of these have a negative effect on the bike?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate your effort!

I was wondering if there are any house hold products i could use to clean the gunk, it doesn't have to be perfect, but i would rather spend the money elsewhere :)

I have Carb cleaner, WD-40 (somewhere) and lots of rubbing alcohol.

Will any of these have a negative effect on the bike?
One full load capful of Liquid laundry detergent concentrated with a stiff brush...........Wisk works the best followed by Tide and all temp Cheer...............Dawn dish detergent works squeaky clean aswell................My girl hates when I steal the dish soap and gunk up the bottle.............lol

WD is too smelly and oilly...........carb cleaner will dry out the crank seals and rubbing alchohol doesnt remove grease too well when its mixed with 20-30% water...............

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
A roll of Paper Gasket material, and some RTV type liquid gasket maker, Custom cut (razor blades) the paper gasket material to the right size, then top it off with a dab of the liquid gasket maker, and BAM! (that one cook guy?) you got a gasket that is better than the stock one would have been!

You can use the old gasket (when possible) to trace out a new one, or, just lay the paper on the engine or other part, and using a pencil trace the case!

Dang Phil, you are pretty cool! :cool: Making your own gaskets! YOU ROCK!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A roll of Paper Gasket material, and some RTV type liquid gasket maker, Custom cut (razor blades) the paper gasket material to the right size, then top it off with a dab of the liquid gasket maker, and BAM! (that one cook guy?) you got a gasket that is better than the stock one would have been!

You can use the old gasket (when possible) to trace out a new one, or, just lay the paper on the engine or other part, and using a pencil trace the case!

Dang Phil, you are pretty cool! :cool: Making your own gaskets! YOU ROCK!
Haha, i think its my only option right now XD

After having the stock gaskets for 2 years now, i won't have anything to work with if i take it off :/

What is this "paper" you speak of? I mean i have seen the gasket spray in stores, but not the paper...

Thanks again Nick ;)

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
No Problem!

It comes in Rolls, and in different thicknesses, really just some generic "Gasket Paper"
I mean, it is sort of different than normal paper, and some of the parts on the pocket bike engines
(The cylinder or possibly head) use MLS Multi-layer gaskets, but for the main engine case,
even my water cooled C1 uses paper gaskets!

NAPA or Autozone or Pepboys or some other automotive parts places should have what you need!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went by the nearest lowes to my house today... and all i/they could find were screws that were hexhead, Grade 5 and a bit longer than my screws...

I will try them on tomorrow... guess anything is better than the chinese garbage...

I WISH i had more money right now... i found a brand new 90 amp flux wire welder for $80 in CANADA. :'(

I just realized i have been running my bike without any of the fairing on, i need to weld the plastic together too, but thats another 200 bucks from what i see... any recommendation on fixing those plastic fairings?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
C'mon Cam, Show Phil what you can do with the Epoxy stuff you like to use...

Cam2 has a really cool technique for "Plastic welding" Basically, I mean, it's not technically welding it with a flame of heat, but the combo he uses really seems to hold up nicely!

It was a special Epoxy blend I think.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Nick, some Crazy Guy posted a picture in your Avatar spot,lol,lol. Lets find the Guy,lol. Your in Canada, everything is Metric, auto parts stores, and places that sell stuff to them carry bolts. 8.8 is a good grade, I have some 12 grade bolts to, case hardened.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts