Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding today I noticed a silver liquid collecting in the bottom fairing on my X2. My CVT case drips alittle from the top of the overflow bolt after it is warm but that is in the rear. I noticed the drip seems to be coming from the bottom left hand screw that holds the pull start on. It looks like aluminum, but I have no idea what is rubbing? It smells like oil but with no gas smell. I have only used the pull start twice just to make sure it works. I am on my second tank of gas.

Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Boogie-Moto said:
After riding today I noticed a silver liquid collecting in the bottom fairing on my X2. My CVT case drips alittle from the top of the overflow bolt after it is warm but that is in the rear. I noticed the drip seems to be coming from the bottom left hand screw that holds the pull start on. It looks like aluminum, but I have no idea what is rubbing? It smells like oil but with no gas smell. I have only used the pull start twice just to make sure it works. I am on my second tank of gas.

Any ideas or thoughts?
It might be extremly hot in there maybe it is hot enought to melt the alluminum so that is a possibility. I would check on google and see what temperature aluminum melts at. Then probally put a thermometer near that are and see that temperature. LAso you might ant to take the bike aprt and find where exactly it is coming form and maybe it will give you a betteer idea of why it is coming out. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dont be too alarmed the metal shaving is from the eletric start. Its venting out because because the contacts start to wear. Its normal. the oil is prob drilling on your eletric start and pulling the flakes down. But also check other possibilities it might also be something else.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, will keep a look out for other possibilities. I also looked up the melting temp of aluminum - 1200 F degrees.

I run hot, but not that hot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked into the issue last night. The silver color is definately coming from the starter. I seem to have a pretty steady drip of oil though coming from the bottom bolt on the pull starter. Pulled the starter off and cleaned around the edges. I am running 20/1 for the first two tanks. There was not a puddle of oil around the starter after I pulled it, but after a ride today, she was dripping again.

Is the oil just draining from the case towards the starter?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Its comming from the exhaust and making its way to the starter. Just put a little heat resistant atv silicon/gasket sealer on the gasket and it should be fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As posted in my "Drip Update" post. Found it. Gas was leaking from my black rubber grommet on the tank.

Bah.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts