Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im working on puting a single chain on my cateyes but need help any one that has done this help me out at all??? and what kind of gains will i see???

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have done the single chain conversion, and I dont know for sure about the gains. But I think there maybe 2-3 mph? When I did my chain conversion I also added a locking hub(no gains) just keeps the power on tap, and a 52 T sporcket. After I did these mods. I noticed that I had a awsome power band that hit like a MOtha. I also didnt notice a loss in top end that some people say happens with the bigger back sprocket......hopes this kinda helps......

·
Registered
573 Posts
Make sure the chain lines up when you do this, if the chain isnt lined up; it will pop right off on aceleration. You can either use spacers to line it up or modify the engine motor postiton.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sesshoumaru562 said:
Make sure the chain lines up when you do this, if the chain isnt lined up; it will pop right off on aceleration. You can either use spacers to line it up or modify the engine motor postiton.
I used washers (m6) with m6 bolts and lock nuts. Will post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cagkiller. Its a great theory, but for the headache of relocating the engine, I think it may not be worth the headache. Just my opinion, but please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IcePick said:
Cagkiller. Its a great theory, but for the headache of relocating the engine, I think it may not be worth the headache. Just my opinion, but please let us know how it goes.
No real need to relocate the engine. Unless u want to go that route.
One more thing. I had replaced the rear shock to a solid rear(turn buckel) When I got the sprockets finally lined up and the chain on. The bottom part of the chain was rubbing the bottom of the foot peg bar (the bike was already raised about 2). I dont know what would have happened if the rear was still stock. For me all i had to do was raise the rear up a tad.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
As long as the 5:1 gear reducers is used the single chain conversion is pretty much useless........There are no benefits in doing this mod.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Backwoodz said:
As long as the 5:1 gear reducers is used the single chain conversion is pretty much useless........There are no benefits in doing this mod.
please go on........

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just read on another forum that it takes 7 rotations of the engine clutch to rotate the tranny gear once...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
just read on another forum that it takes 7 rotations of the engine clutch to rotate the tranny gear once...
Not sure where you read that but, I checked it on on my bikes.........It is 5 revolutions of clutch bell to 1 revolution of the drive gear sprocket.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well fact is all the gear reducers use a 5:1 ratio goped/cateye/X1/X2/X3........that is a fact you can check out.

That is one of the reasons the cags are so much faster than X bikes when stock........they do not use a gear reduction setup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Backwoodz said:
Well fact is all the gear reducers use a 5:1 ratio goped/cateye/X1/X2/X3........that is a fact you can check out.QUOTE]

Hey that is what I saw and I had no idea it was wrong, but i am glad you cleared that up for me. Thanks. SO, Is there a way that something like this can be changed, or that is pretty much it for that?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you tear one down you will see......for now is there no alternative option.
Hopefully in the future R/D someone (probably a racer) will come up with a better setup.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
ive done the conversion with 52T sprocket and this thing would take off fast off the line. i had a lot of problems doing it.

i had to mount the sprocket on the outer part of the hub with 5mm spacers. the front sprocketh as to be flipped around, and then adjust the wheel alignment/engine alignment from there. there's no need to relocate anything.

this method, i got it to work for a few days. but after messing with the rear wheel alignment again, the chain would constantly come off on acceleration. so now, i'm back to dual chain setup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
BoostedBoogie said:
this method, i got it to work for a few days. but after messing with the rear wheel alignment again, the chain would constantly come off on acceleration. so now, i'm back to dual chain setup.
Are you talking about the 17mm axle bolts that hole the wheel on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
sesshoumaru562 said:
I had the same problem with the chain popping out, I decided to wait until i can adapt an x1's trans on it.
Have you done anything so far on this....?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts