Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assistance needed:

Customer has a 4 stroke automatic that has 2 wires that start to smoke when he tries to start the bike. He is telling me either the green stator wire or the battery ground will start smoking. All of the wiring has been checked for shorts, he has confirmed its wired correctly, the stator looks normal, the starter is new and the battery checks out (He only has a very basic voltage checker). Any ideas?

Thanks

Hugh
SDscooters

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
a long time ago there was some x22s that would short in the push button area of the start mech and catch fire
try to unhook that component, thats my only guess

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Like, wow, man, he's smoking wires .... :D

Oops, sorry, some of my California upbringing showing through there ....

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
sure go ahead an rub it in, wife wont go to cali...i asked....i said...i was sick

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Hey, I grew up there ... I've only lived in Arizona since 2002.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, go jack another thread. Trying to get some assistance here not travel directions.

Hugh
SDscooters

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
it was in the start circuit i remember, the wire was too thin gauge, or it was the actual button
sorry hugh, let us know

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks blitz, this a one of two ground wires. They heat up when he tries to start it. The shop he bought it at has given up, just trying to get him running again and am out of ideas.

Hugh
SDscooters

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
What color is the wire thats smoking?

Tell him to look at the wires going into the keyswitch...I had a bike that had the wires crossed.....Solid black and solid red go together on the power side,,,,,solid green and black with white stripe on the flameout side

He can also try cleaning up the grounding points on the frame,battery and engine also add an extra ground strap from the battery negative to the battery tray/frame.........

You can use a digital multimeter on contunuity test and test the ground connections to find the problem the fastest;-well not as fast as a Power Probe..He can disconnect the battery and use the positive and negative leads aon points in the connectors to test continuity on both legs....If theres a short it will show when you do a cross polarity test....................

Id cut off the chinese ground loop crimps from the one thats smoking aswell as the battery and resolder on my own..............

When ground wires smoke its because of resistance from a poor grounding connection/source or crossed wire........

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
could be a bad ground or connection... try running a heavier ground wire from the battery to the engine and make sure the green wire (also a ground - ) is clean and making good contact... If there was a short in the postive side of the electrical circuit it will blow the fuse unless he bypassed the fuse or replaced it with too heavy of an amperage..

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Two words Hugh, Starter Draw!

This will assess the situation for you, you will need a baseline "Known good" number (amperage) that a working bike draws, then compare it to the non-working bike, Higher than normal starter draw numbers usually come down to one or more of the following...

A bad ground (high resistance) A shorted out starter (should be lower than normal resistance, and even close to 0 ohm:eek:) too much resistance to force, as in the engine doesn't want to spin, too long on the starter, even on automotive 10 seconds of cranking is a max and then the starter would like 3x that (30 seconds) to cool before another attempt to crank.

As stated before, you can "Macgyver" the situation by adding larger wires! but, this is NOT an A.S.E. approved technique. :p:thumbsup:

The starter draw can be "Checked" using a voltage drop test too, all you need is a multimeter!

I've got a video on youtube showing a battery / starter failing!
This clip came down to the battery, but the numbers would do the same thing if the starter was drawing too much.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, hopefully its as simple as a bad ground connection. Should have known/remembered this one, have fried more than a couple of grounding straps and alternator wires on car engines.

The starter is new so I'm assuming its not the issue . . .

Hugh
SDscooters

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
Like, wow, man, he's smoking wires .... :D
man i hear tommy chong everytime i read that
the chinese components were usually ok but the wiring had its flaws
if you start to take a harness apart you can see how the ground and power leads were run

·
Registered
355 Posts
A burning negitive wire is usually a sign of a bad ground connection.

A burning positive feed wire is usually a sign of a corroded connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts