Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does ne1 kno if u can replace your stock brake pads?

my neighbor got his brake pads from a frend, and his are great...

is there a link where i can get it?

thnx

·
Registered
240 Posts
There was an old post about swapping out the stock brake levers and calipers with mountain bike aftermarkets, but that is gone with the hack. Unless someone can remember the name. MB or something, I forget.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i remeber that...i think it was MBlough?

i dont wanna do an all out swap, but just seein if there were replacement pads

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had problems also but cleaned mine as stated in the FAQ with dawn to remove the oil and grease from them. Helps, but mine still need work, as they rub and I still need spacers.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if i cleand my brakes, they would stop a bit better,

but i still want HP replacements...

is there a bike website that has replacement pads?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
have you tried adjusting the cable slack between calipers and levers? usually there's a lot of slack.

here's what you do: first put your bike on a stand. spin the wheel and then pull the caliper up and notice it takes a while for it to close all the way. so now, loosen the nut holding the cable, and pull more of the cable in and then tighten the nut. now see if the wheel spins freely (sometimes if you pull too much cable, it'll keep the caliper closed). if it spins freely, check to see how well your wheels stop. you'll notice because you changed the slack, it doesn't take too much work to get the caliper closed all the way.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i already adjusted the slack...

my brakes work great wen there on the stand, but wen i ride its a different story...
they slide, even when i pull all the way down... its like they have ABS or sumtin... they dont lock up at all...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
slide meaning teh tires sliding? that means your brakes are grabbing very good, but your tires are either worn out or suck.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i meant the brakes still slide...

its kinda like if ur SUV has anti-lock brakes...
i stop pretty quik, but the brake rotors slide, and all i do is lean pretty hard, but no stoppies.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
oh well that's normal if you're going pretty quick then braking. the pads won't be able to hold the rotors still since there's so much speed and weight on the bike. unless your rotors have oil on it that'll sometimes cause them to slide.

other than that, basically there's nothing else you can do except replace your rotors or pads then.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm not sure how long thes crappy forks would last trying to do stoppies. Have you adjusted the brakes so the levers are stiff?if the levers are stiff and it still won't lock up the rear,I'd try spraying the pads and rotors down with denatured alcohol(break cleaner).I don't think the fronts would be able to lock up period,unless you were real light weight.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i should get a vid of my neighbor doin stoppies then...
he gets up, to about 1-2ft...(not for sure tho, just looks like it)

i tried brake cleaner too, still the same thing...
i even tried to ride with them rubbin a bit, still doesnt act the same as his...
but the rear did lock up, so i guess its ok

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i accidentally did a stoppie after adjusting the slack for the front brake. after adjusting the slack, these brakes don't trail.

at first they would squeak, then it went away. now when brakes are applied halfway, the bike stops almost immediately. maybe going downhill at around 20mph (estimate), it'll take about 1.5 car lengths to fully stop. then i tried cruising and then holding the brakes all the way down. i almost flipped over. the stopping power was unbelieveable and it gave me goose bumps.

taht being said, i have a feeling your brake pads are just worn out, or there is still a lot of slack in your lines.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how much is too much slack?
i dont even get about a second of freewheel...

im guessing there worn out too... were can i get online replacements?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
well what i did was spin the wheel and then pull the caliper closed, then once the wheel started slowing down from the caliper closing, let off a little bit, then tighten the cable at that point... that way right when you pull the lever it starts braking immediately and brakes harder.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I Knew How To Get Rid Of The Slack, I Just Said That As Kinda Sarcasm...
My Brakes Are Sooo Tight, There Is No Such Thing As Freewheel Any More On Them....
Ill Probably Just Replace The Pads With New Ones Then...

·
Registered
62 Posts
my brakes dont work they never did and disk brakes are the only thing on the bike that i do not know about. could you make me up an idiots guide to gettin my brakes working as good as yours.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts