Pocketbike Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I recently upgraded my MX650 controller, throttle, and 16ah 36v lithium ion battery. When I put everything together, I decided to install the new charging port (directly wired into battery) into the battery case. While having a lapse in good judgement, I was prying the charger port through the hole I drilled with a flathead screwdriver and I slipped.

Long story short the screwdriver went INTO the charging port on the battery and it shorted out, became a mini torch, blew some molten metal into the air then when all the metal was depleted from the port, it stopped burning.

Obviously I can't charge it now, but the battery was charged and upon testing it all worked fabulously.

So the battery seems in good health but my question is, can I safely splice a new female end charge port onto the battery? What tools would I need? I've never worked with lithium batteries like this before and I'm not even sure how it's attached to the battery yet underneath the shrink wrap.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
3,701 Posts
So the charging port on li-ion packs connects to the BMS and that board is responsible for keeping the pack balanced and it's also a safety to shut the pack off from over charging or being over discharged.

A good pack will have a plug so you can disconnect the BMS then repair it by soldering a new plug onto the BMS and then plug the BMS back into the balance port on the pack and put new heat shrink on.

If it's one of those packs thats spot welded then everything is glued and heat shrinked together it's a very dangerous situation to work on those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha okay. Thank you! So it is possible but I should maybe take it to a battery repair shop is what I'm hearing. I'm going to guess it's spot welded and glued considering it's an eBay battery but who knows.

The battery was recommended on my last thread by Atvrunner2, maybe they can chime in if they have experience with these packs? Once I discharge the battery I'll take the shrink off and have a better look but will take all advice I can get in the meantime.

·
Administrator
3,701 Posts
You don't want to completely discharge it and definitely read up on care and maintenance on your type battery pack.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,478 Posts
Yes exactly Mr Kitty. Definitely don't mess around if you're not sure with lithium. Only one time did I have to fix a port because the wires fell off. Only ever do one at a time do not cut the whole thing off and do positive and negative, you have a chance to do the exact same thing. Leave one hooked up at all times and do them separately. But if I were you I would just take it to a lithium store have them do it. I personally hate messing with that stuff. Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So to wrap this post up for anyone searching these terms in the future, I called around and nobody in town would touch lithium batteries so I figured what the hell, it's a total loss if I don't at least make an attempt.

The battery ended up being well constructed with an easily accessible BMS and ample room to work the wires. The battery casing is flimsy plastic under the shrink wrap so anyone attempting this should just go slow and cut the tape carefully along the seams.

There was still a good 6-8 inches of wire on the charger port so I carefully removed the rubber sheathing around the positive and negative charging wires and cut the positive wire and spliced it into a connector that lets this battery accept the original XLR style of charging port. Did the same with negative and now everything works great.

I would honestly consider doing this again with another build now that's it's said and done. The original charge port looks nice and it's more robust than the one that came on this battery. Charge time about 6-8 hours using the original Razor charger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why did the charging port need to be replaced? I'm in the middle of a 48v conversion on an SX500 and wasn't anticipating doing anything to the port so now I'm curious.

·
Administrator
3,701 Posts
Good work on getting it fixed this is all positive information for anybody that may have accidentally damaged their pack and needs to repair it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.