Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i don't know if your into mini quads on this website but what the heck
i got this quad yesterday for $100, im going to repaint it white, give it a big bore kit, make a performance exhaust pipe, put a pod air filter on, tenet the carb, and put a high performance cdi on it.
im not 100% on how high to jet it but im thinking of going to a 90 main and 25 pilot.
here are some pics:

it also needs a new seat because the one on it looks funny with the dimple in it.
im going to try and ask $700 when im done because they go for $450 stock ugly faded.
i might do a radical paint job with black pigments in the white for special affects. the paint is urethane base/ clear so its expensive to do.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Nice mini quad....It looks alil like mine...I got mine for $175.00 in great operating/running condition and its not chinese..The guys son rode it twice and it sat for a couple years in the garage.......Good Luck with the sale.....The plans for mine is to put an alky burning kart engine w/street tires/rims on it.............

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks!
its funny because mine is modeled after the eton 50 quad which is modeled after the yamaha jog50 moped haha. i just bought the big bore kit once I confirmed all the measurements were correct.
its nice that there are only three plastics to paint but this will be an easy sell, because everyone wants the most performance possible. I will port the exhaust, for some reason its only half a circle instead of fully round.
and the head gasket is an o-ring for the new head and cylinder.
im excited!
total investment is between $200 and $230

p.s. CAM2, nice quad! i would leave it stock sell it and buy one of these ones to screw around with

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$213 is the total investment. i just got the last few parts.
the chain was way past shot is I got a gold one.
i put the primer on today but for some reason it just dripped right off!
i mean I cleaned them all really good, sanded them then wiped them clean but it didn't stick! and I put the same primer on some stuff for an xs650 motorcycle and it stuck to the bikes stuff.
sucks cuz im coming to have to sand the hell out of it to get that crap off.
i think I will just try rattle can primer next time then do the base (white), then do the clear with black pigments, then do the clear.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Krylon can says for wood metal and plastic... You have to wipe with laquor thinner then spray light coats. What temp are you painting in? anything under 50 F and yea it's gonna be F-ed up....

So wait for a warm day to take them to a sunny spot outside and let the paint bake on...

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Acetone will take the paint off or wipe the body with a damp rag to take off the shiny surface and sand and paint. I wipe painted exhaust paint lightly and respray. I use it on all my metal parts and engines, to clean and the paint. It leaves no residue to make the paint not stick. If that body is Polypro or Polyethelene its slick, nothing wants to stick need a special primer. Most of them bodies are vacuum formed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its weird because all the rest of my paints can be sprayed at ANY temp.
this was the second time i used this primer and this time i thinned it down with water(says to thin with water) and maybe thats why it just ran of.. i thought my days of trial and error were over... haha guess nobodys perfect!
and finding a sunny day that is above 50 in Oregon right now would be a miracle!
im trying to get this done in a week or two, so what if i make my garage a sauna with a space heater?

thanks for the help! i will take the paint off tomorrow.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just mentioned the basic directions on the can. how do you thin spraypaint with water?

I had a feeling you slopped the paint on heavy in an ice cold garage though. You have to follow those directions better like when putting a top coat on metal because the cold really screws it up. I learned that the hard way painting a small spot on my car in the cold. I don't think the days of trial and error ever end. Heater is good idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont use "spray paint" is all industrial spray through a gun stuff. the first time I used it, it barely came out because it was to thick so i thinned it down like the directions stated to.
i prepped the hell outof it though so it must have been the temp problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dont worry about it :)
yesterday i repainted the foot rest's high gloss jet black so they should look nice. im a little worried about the oil injector though. im not sure if its still pumping oil to the carb. and with how high performance this motor is it needs oil!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys,
i received the 70cc kit today and was quite disappointed.
first of it was missing the exhaust gasket which I really need, and three other complaints.
it looks like a manufacture reject.
the cylinder head had a lot of deep scratches which might blow the head gasket:

the cylinder base gasket doesn't really fit at all:

and the piston has gouges that will scratch the cylinder wall:

it was all packaged REALLY WELL! so it seems like the kit was a manufacture defect.

another thing im a little confused about was that the head has a oring gasket like advertised, but it also came with the stock crush gasket. im sure I should only use the oring gasket but just wanted to double check.

best thing about the kit is its 70cc, and the exhaust is already ported! :)

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Tipical China parts, you have to mod almost everything in one way or another to make them work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey guys,
i did a lot of the mechanical work today.
i fixed the piston, head, ported the exhaust, ported all the intake ports and made sure the ports would not catch the piston rings because it was just roughly put together.
i took a bunch of pictures for yous:
as you can see the new cylinder is on.
i had to make a base gasket, and also no more oil injector :)

New gold chain, has a bunch of chain lube with moldy paste which is very expensive

the carb being held in place for the photo, i actually put it in my ultrasonic cleaner right after the picture so it now looks BRAND NEW!

after I took all the pictures I worked my but off to get the thing running. its not as loud as a normal 2 stroke so I was a little confused about that.
the "performance" cdi doesn't work :p which is stupid but i got it started with it on and it wouldn't turn off with the key or anything electric so I put the stock one on for now.
next thing to do is the exhaust but I have some other priorities in my shop for now, so I won't get to that for a little while.

more to come! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here are two more paint pics:

the side cover is being painted silver to match the new seat cover, and a few misc items are also being painted black like the kick starter and bake handles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i got the seat vinyl today and made the seat cover.
that was a lot harder than I expected. it wasn't the first seat I've recovered so I knew what to expect but here's a pic:

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Love the seat, better than stock. Them little nicks in the piston are no going to hurt anything, just make everything smooth as a babies butt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.