Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, name is Jordan. Just joined this week or last week can't remember. I picked up the x-18 to pop my PB cherry and its already going under the knife...

It came stock Black, Gold and Silver.. I can say it appealed to me the first day but after that I was hooked to change it once a couple suggestions came around. I will be posting pictures of my progress here in this thread.

If you want to support me and follow me on the journey to destroying my stock paint just say support and subscribe for constant updates. I am sanding atleast a piece and painting it each day.

If you guys wish I can even tell you how many cans I've used and what the cost was at my local Napa shop.

Ps.. I've already started.. and I only have my sides to paint and my gas can needs to sand down one side and give it some more coats. So you won't be waiting long for a finished product.

Sorry for the big pictures... i'm unaware on how to resize them or cluster them together into one pic..

SUPPORTERS

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
STOCK BIKE, ITS A FRESH START GUYS

SO MY JOURNEY BEGINS.... Hehe

First to tear down my bike and take the plastics apart!

Sanded down and finally coated with a white base.... And has been finished in a burnt orange, like my rear fender.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
TIME FOR THE GAS TANK :D

Sanded and painted white for the first touch..

Pinstriping time! but really i'm doing a racing strip not pins...

I have my gas tank painted with a first coat of burnt orange so far.. no pics yet but soon to come tomorrow!

Oh and i removed my stock muffler and painted that orange as well, it looks pretty good on the bare bike haha

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ARE YOU GUYS READY TO SEE MY TANK?!... UH OH.. first timer so don't flame haha.

Ok so there is my tank... now time for my seat/tail... I LOVE IT!

Yeah I totally know what you mean spy, I am trying my hardest to take my time... I can get very impatient at some points in the day especially when the pinstriping tape doesn't match up. OR when you leave your gas tank in your car while your working and your car gets so warm that the tape on the tank shrinks and messes up.....

/facepalm!​

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh and here is my new front of the x-18... I painted the face gloss white, kept my window tinted... and painted the grill burnt orange to keep the theme going.

·
Registered
156 Posts
so all you had to do was take sand paper to sand the stock paint off,are you spray painting it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so all you had to do was take sand paper to sand the stock paint off,are you spray painting it

yes yz125, I'm actually sanding the plastics with 180grit sand paper, and finishing it off with 320grit so its nice and smooth. If you plan to do this make sure you leave no shiny spots on the bike or else it will be an easy spot for your paint to chip later on...

I'm using Krylon Fusion paint from my Napa Auto Parts store.

Gloss white - Krylon Fusion
Burnt Orange - MetalCast..

I'm hand sanding it, not using a sander as it was starting to tear up my plastics.

·
Registered
156 Posts
cool because i want to try and paint my x19 pocket bike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool because i want to try and paint my x19 pocket bike
So far its cost me about a little over $100 in paint, and i'm going to the city after work tomorrow to get more, I still have my side panels to sand and paint. If you do it right, it takes a while each piece haha

You following this thread?

·
Registered
156 Posts
idc i have nun but time this summer lmao,no school no rule

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Nice layout on the tank. I like the way you've outlined everything.

Painting is one of the most difficult things you can do. Most of your time is spent in preparation - PREP WORK IS EVERYTHING ON A GOOD PAINT JOB. Sure, anyone can take a couple of cans of Krylon and shoot it on some plastic or on a frame. The guys who actually want their bikes to look really good spend a lot of time sanding, primering, sanding again, getting the rough spots smoothed out, more sanding, and so on. Once the primer coat is looking good, then you shoot it in the body color.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NEW PICS ARE UP FOR THOSE WHO ARE SUPPORTTING MY THREAD! PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO SAY SUPPORT IN YOUR POST TO BE PUT UP ON MY WALL!

(kind of a mental boost for me haha)

·
Registered
156 Posts
you supporting me YZ?

yeh supporting,oyeh i got another qustion how did u not maint in the white,dide you cover it up with news paper an then to keep it down put tape all over it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeh supporting,oyeh i got another qustion how did u not maint in the white,dide you cover it up with news paper an then to keep it down put tape all over it?
Yeah I used pin striping tape to outline what I wanted AFTER I painted the first couple coats of the main color. So my tank is white, i painted it white first, then put the orange stripe second.

Outline the areas you'd like to paint a different color, then cover up the rest with either masking tape and/or newspaper. Make sure you leave no gaps or else you'll find out after you pull everthing off haha

·
Registered
156 Posts
ok col,sounds easy but its gone be hard lamo.well my main color gone be either green or blue im still thinking

·
Registered
156 Posts
3.17:1 - 12T front, 38T rear
2.71:1 - 14T front, 38T rear (stock setup on many X18s)
2.53:1 - 15T front, 38T rear
2.38:1 - 16T front, 38T rear
2.33:1 - 12T front, 28T rear
2.24:1 - 17T front, 38T rear
2.11:1 - 18T front, 38T rear
2.00:1 - 14T front, 28T rear
1.87:1 - 15T front, 28T rear
1.83:1 - 12T front, 22T rear
1.75:1 - 16T front, 28T rear
1.65:1 - 17T front, 28T rear
1.57:1 - 14T front, 22T rear
1.56:1 - 18T front, 28T rear
1.47:1 - 15T front, 22T rear
1.38:1 - 16T front, 22T rear
1.29:1 - 17T front, 22T rear
1.22:1 - 18T front, 22T rear

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
ya i like it too
it took a week to paint my 18 and less than 100 i hope
i took an easier route and didnt do all that sanding, the plastic parts are fine if you sand the edges down where the stock paint meets then i just scuffed the rest with steel wool and washed the parts down in the shower
the lower body is very delicate on the 18, i had to replace mine with aluminum so be carefull
you might wanna hook up some skateboard wheels for sliders so you wont wreck the paint 'when' you fall

1 - 20 of 40 Posts