Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have only had my bike for going on 2 weeks now i believe first timer and maybe a litte irresponible..

I had to change the battery off the hop due to it being pooched, so that was done bike starts up and everything...

ok time for the part that i might get in trouble for but hey I'd like to know if it sounds like the battery again.

I did two pulls against my friend 06 honda civic down my street( i live in a very small town and no one barely comes on my street )

He let me get a 15ft rolling start as he was from a stand still I beat him to the dirt hill on the side of the street (300-400ft). Then second pulled we both went from a stand still and he blew me out of the water cause I have more top end.

Now when I do try and start my bike I hold the clutch pump my kick a couple times and then push my electric start... the gauges go dim and the electric start goes... buuuuuuuhhhhh....*silence* buuuuuhhhhhh. As if the the electric start can't draw enough power.

Haven't checked my batter cause I just put my plastics back on. But I can start my bike from a roll no problem still. Oh and sometimes my gears don't change smoothly.. it goes clunk! going from 1-2 or 2-1. Sorry for the story and I dont blame you if you don't read it since the length.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the clunk sounds like your stock shifter and when you kick start it you have to have it in neutral and have the clutch out or else it can't start, And the batteries on these things die often if you don't ride them a lot or if you have a crappy battery.
Let me know if this helps, if not your gonna need cam or swheels to help you on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the clunk sounds like your stock shifter and when you kick start it you have to have it in neutral and have the clutch out or else it can't start, And the batteries on these things die often if you don't ride them a lot or if you have a crappy battery.
Let me know if this helps, if not your gonna need cam or swheels to help you on it.
Yeah I have it in neutral when i kick start to warm up the engine before the electric start or else my back wheel will spin everytime i kick it. But my gears also sometimes change on their own.. if im coasting in 2nd for like 10 secs ill rev again and all of a sudden im in neutral.. Its like I don't fully make the gear and its on the fence till it decides to 'fall' into whatever gear is closest

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Well I hate to say it but youre due for another engine.................Sounds like your shift forks or shift drum/countershaft bearings are messed up...............maybe a bit more ............

If youre gonna try to disassemble it I suggest buying a Clymer manual for a CT110 or CRF/XR50/70/90............Those engines are the closest to the Loncin Honda clone engines put on these bike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I hate to say it but youre due for another engine.................Sounds like your shift forks or shift drum/countershaft bearings are messed up...............maybe a bit more ............

If youre gonna try to disassemble it I suggest buying a Clymer manual for a CT110 or CRF/XR50/70/90............Those engines are the closest to the Loncin Honda clone engines put on these bike
I have 3 months parts and labour on this bike from the shop I bought it from, think they would do that if I told them my problem?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Also I'm reading my warranty it says 6 months engine warranty :)

and i think i hear knocking in the engine, can you guys hear anything odd?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Ok, I'm no "Expert" :p but....

The clicking, sounds like the solenoid, in automotive, a click like that almost always comes down to low battery voltage, have you checked the voltage of the battery (in parallel) while trying to start it? if it drops below 9.6v the battery might just need to be charged.

Have you been charging the battery after each ride?

And for the engine noise, I can't hear anything that stands out, but with 4-strokes a ticking noise will almost always come down to the valves, they are usually "shimmed" or else they use a Hydraulic Lash Adjuster, I'm betting the small engines use the shims!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I'm no "Expert" :p but....

The clicking, sounds like the solenoid, in automotive, a click like that almost always comes down to low battery voltage, have you checked the voltage of the battery (in parallel) while trying to start it? if it drops below 9.6v the battery might just need to be charged.

Have you been charging the battery after each ride?

And for the engine noise, I can't hear anything that stands out, but with 4-strokes a ticking noise will almost always come down to the valves, they are usually "shimmed" or else they use a Hydraulic Lash Adjuster, I'm betting the small engines use the shims!
No I haven't actually been charging my battery after each ride, been riding it everyday too for about 20 mins. Also this electric start problem happened after i pushed it a little, but shouldn't the engine running somewhat charge the battery also?

I'll take my plastics off tomorrow and check my voltage again with the fluke meter and give you guys a heads up

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
No I haven't actually been charging my battery after each ride, been riding it everyday too for about 20 mins. Also this electric start problem happened after i pushed it a little, but shouldn't the engine running somewhat charge the battery also?
Yes it should, but, it never seems to be enough on the the super pocketbikes (Mid-Bikes) like you have, even the little CatEye or the X1/X2 we have needs the little battery tender jr or another low amperage charger to keep the battery "topped off"

With a little voltage meter ($10 at harbor freight tools) you could get the bike running and then watch the battery voltage while the bike is running, I would turn on any lights or blinkers or (accessories) and watch the battery voltage (with the engine running) to see if it is going up (GOOD) or if it is going down (BAD! :eek: ) this should tell you if the charging system is making enough power to keep up with the bikes draw.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it should, but, it never seems to be enough on the the super pocketbikes (Mid-Bikes) like you have, even the little CatEye or the X1/X2 we have needs the little battery tender jr or another low amperage charger to keep the battery "topped off"

With a little voltage meter ($10 at harbor freight tools) you could get the bike running and then watch the battery voltage while the bike is running, I would turn on any lights or blinkers or (accessories) and watch the battery voltage (with the engine running) to see if it is going up (GOOD) or if it is going down (BAD! :eek: ) this should tell you if the charging system is making enough power to keep up with the bikes draw.
Yeah thats a good idea nasa, i'll have to buy some gator clamps for my meter so i dont have to hold them on constantly while i fiddle with everything

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have 3 months parts and labour on this bike from the shop I bought it from, think they would do that if I told them my problem?

yeh theyll do it,no problem they should though

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
sounds like a clutch adjustment issue
like it got loose and you never put it back
and the battery of course

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's good to try the small things first and then if the problem is still there then you gotta pull some money outta your pocket.
In my opinion I would start with the clutch adjustment and move from there little thing by little thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's good to try the small things first and then if the problem is still there then you gotta pull some money outta your pocket.
In my opinion I would start with the clutch adjustment and move from there little thing by little thing.
Ok google will be my best friend till I learn every part and how to fix stuff lol

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
But I never touched anything in my engine except the pinion and sprocket. That couldn't affect it?
it could have came loose, or the cable could have stretched a bit, either would give you erratic shifting and drivability
its just the most common thing, vibration will loosen the whole bike eventually

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys so I checked my battery and it reads 11.29 +\- give or take.. When I try to start my bike it drops to 2v... Is that a faulty battery, a short or my starter gone? Cause it sounds like it can't even tryto start when I push the button

1 - 20 of 31 Posts